June 2016 Moms
Options

Is anyone else still frustrated with breastfeeding?

Is anyone else still having challenges with breastfeeding? We are still struggling with getting the latch, she gets it sometimes but not every time. (Ouch and those times where it isn't right are so painful!) Just wondering if anyone else is in the same boat or when it gets better...

Re: Is anyone else still frustrated with breastfeeding?

• Options
    I know it can get hard.  We do have a breastfeeding support thread where we've been putting all kinds of questions and tips.
  • Options
    It's definitely not easy.  Hang in there!  With my first, I struggled with cracked, nipples, blisters and finally a round or two of mastitis. But eventually we got the hang of it and went on to breastfeed for a long time.  

our hospital (and a community center here) does a weekly breastfeeding support group where you sit down with lactation consultants who can help you tweak your technique.  

Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had to get a nipple shield in order to get her to latch.
  • Options
    I too have to use a nipple shield on one side or its super painful when she latches. With DD2 I eventually could ditch the shield and she would do fine without it, so I'm hoping that's the case this time too. Just make sure the shield is the right size for you. My hospital gave me one that was too small and it hurt just as bad as not having one.  
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    I am still waiting for my baby to arrive, but thought I would post anyway. Do you have a local le leche league? I have gone to a couple meetings while I wait for my baby to arrive and the ladies are so helpful and supportive. Maybe they would have some good tips. 
  • Options
    Seconding all the other suggestions to try to get some in-person help/support.  Yes, it can definitely be challenging.  This is my third baby & I had serious pain & latch issues for the first week.  I figured I knew all there was to know (I'd exclusively BF my first two for quite a long time), but turns out I was really rusty at nursing a newborn - it had been a long time!  I got a refresher course in latching via Dr Jack Newman's book, but with my first, I found in-person support - both a lactation consultant & La Leche Leauge invaluable.  They were lifesavers.  Good luck!
  • Options
    As the other ladies have said, there is a lot of breastfeeding support-don't be afraid to seek it out. It definitely gets better!!! For as natural as breastfeeding is, there is certainly a big learning curve! She'll get it soon, don't worry. See if a nipple shield helps. 
  • Options
    I had cracked nipples the first couple weeks from a few times when he didn't latch right that kept getting re-opened and bleeding with every feed.  I got a nipple shield to use on the side that was more damaged so it could heal and fed without the shield on the less hurt side so he didn't get too used to the shield.  He sometimes bruises my nipples a little but no cracks since then.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers