January 2017 Moms

Ask a STM+ Week of 6/27

What's on your mind this week that our veteran moms can help you with?

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Ask a STM+ Week of 6/27

• LJ623LJ623 member
    Okay, I'd love recommendations for the best pregnancy support pillow!  I am a stomach sleeper, and already starting to feel a little uncomfortable overnight, but I know I won't sleep on my side without some sort of support.  I'm looking at the Leachco Back N Belly one...but it's pricey and the reviews are a bit mixed!  I don't mind spending the money, but I want to make sure it's worth it...so, what do you all recommend?

BFP: 1/31/15; MMC: 3/31/15
    BFP: 4/26/16; Baby Girl Born: 1/3/17
    BFP: 10/1/21; EDD: 6/10/22
  • I never got a pregnancy pillow last time and I regret that! So I'd love suggestions too! I thought I wouldn't want one cause I was due mid July last time and I'm always so hot all the time I figured I'd hate it but I'm uncomfortable already! I want a pillow
  • Loading the player...
  • I had the snoogle and loooooved it. I'll definitely break it out again when the time comes. My husband was less of a fan because we had a queen bed and it (and me) took up tons of room. Now we have a king so hopefully there's more room for him haha.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Vivi20Vivi20 member
    I second the snoogle recommendation. It was fantastic and helped a lot in getting comfortable.
    BabyFetus Ticker

SaveSave
  • This has probably already been covered (sorry!) but I slacked on the last thread. 

How often did you buy new bras? Or how many different sizes, I guess? (Particularly if any of you are small chested?) 

Pre-preg I was a large A/ tiny B cup. I'm now (at 13 weeks) busting out of the Bs that were too big for me before. Do extenders really help? The cups are what's not working for me, my chest measurement hasn't changed.... 
  • @TinaBelcher I bought a whole bunch of genie bras. They're stretchy and come in all different sizes. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Another vote for the snoogle! I won't pull it out until probably 20 weeks when I can't sleep on my back anymore, it helps me from going back to it.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Married 9/18/10
    TTC 1/1/12
    BFP #1 12/13/12 MMC Confirmed 1/30/13
    BFP #2 6/17/13, (Clomid+Ovidrel) CP Confirmed 6/26/13
    BFP #3 8/14/2013 (Letrozole+IUI) Charlie Grace born 5/2/2014

Laparoscopic surgery 8/15 to remove misplaced IUD

BFP #4, #5, #6  (Letrozole+IUI)all MMC, BFP #7 EDD 1/3/2017

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Love the pillow question - was just talking to DH about that last night! @adorebella the snoogle looks awesome but we also have a queen size bed. Is it doable or would you recommend looking for something smaller if we're stuck in a queen? We're not planning on upgrading to a bigger bed anytime soon.

@Heeb918 do you feel comfortable sleeping on your back up until 20 weeks? I am a back sleeper and have been getting paranoid about everything I read saying that you shouldn't lay on your back for more than 5 minutes because it can mess with the bloodflow to baby (starting even before second tri!). Is there any merit to that?
    Me & DH: 27
    Met: 12.9.2007
    Married: 9.26.2014
    BFP: 5.1.2016
    Baby Boy Due: 1.13.2017

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @asnowsurfer I specifically asked my ob when I need to stop sleeping on my back and that was her answer. Sleeping on your back now isn't a problem because your uterus/belly isn't heavy enough to put pressure on the veins going to the baby. It's just the added weight later on. 

Married 9/18/10
    TTC 1/1/12
    BFP #1 12/13/12 MMC Confirmed 1/30/13
    BFP #2 6/17/13, (Clomid+Ovidrel) CP Confirmed 6/26/13
    BFP #3 8/14/2013 (Letrozole+IUI) Charlie Grace born 5/2/2014

Laparoscopic surgery 8/15 to remove misplaced IUD

BFP #4, #5, #6  (Letrozole+IUI)all MMC, BFP #7 EDD 1/3/2017

• bras: I was a small A pre-pregnancy #1 and I stayed pretty small until I was a lot further along. I bought new bras when I was uncomfortable but I bought inexpensive ones in case I outgrew them again. This time I'm a mid A and seem to be sitting there still. I have my nursing bras in the drawer waiting for my boobs to outgrow my normal bras. 
    Full milk I was maybeeeee a big B. I never tried extenders but I definitely moved through the clasps because like @TinaBelcher my cup size didn't change as fast as my band size. 
  • sagoonsagoon member
    edited June 2016
    @asnowsurfer the common wisdom is that it is ok to sleep on your back until 20 weeks, as your uterus shouldn't be big enough at that point to compress your vena cava.  After 20 weeks side sleeping is recommended.  If you have an uncommonly big uterus or maybe with multiples it might be wise to flip to the side earlier, but generally you will feel short of breath and dizzy if it is happening and your body will shift itself before any damage to the baby occurs.

Jan17 Sept Sig: Pumpkin Spice gone too far
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Heeb918 @sagoon thanks for the reassurance and explanation. What you're saying makes a lot of sense and makes me feel a lot better about sleeping on my back for a few more weeks. Whew! :blush:
    Me & DH: 27
    Met: 12.9.2007
    Married: 9.26.2014
    BFP: 5.1.2016
    Baby Boy Due: 1.13.2017

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @TinaBelcher I had a c cup prior to getting pregnant with dd.  I only bought a new bra once in the pregnancy. Around 30 weeks. (From the clearance section at target). I waited until after my milk was in (day 10 or so) to buy nursing bras. 
  • @asnowsurfer yes to what @sagoon said! You'll be dizzy or your legs will go to sleep long before you hurt your baby and will wake up or just roll over without realizing it. When I was super super pregnant it would even happen when I was sitting on the couch for one way too long. Just adjust and it'll go away almost instantly!
  • Another snoogle user!  We have a queen-sized bed and we both fit with the snoogle just fine.  I just made sure it was only taking up half the bed.

Bras - I bought a stretchy nursing one that goes buy small, medium, large rather than cup and band size last time.  This kind allows for more flexibility as your boobs grow.  Plus they are great for nursing.  I am planning on buying a couple more this time since I used the one so much with DS it's a little worn out.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @asnowsurfer I would definitely still get it. My husband actually didn't voice that he would have liked more room until several months after baby when the snoogle was gone. It was more "oh it's nice to have more room again!" and not a constant gripe of his when I had it.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Ok, obviously not my first pregnancy, but I've never been able to figure this out - why have I been advised to "speed up labor" with pitocin every time? Anyone else been through this? With DD1 I was 6 cm when we checked in, and not even an hour later I was told pitocin was a good idea. I just assumed they knew what they were doing, it wasn't until months later I thought about it and was like wait, huh?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @elvinnoe honestly, unless you were given a medical indication for why, it was probably because many hospitals are full of impatient staff.  Oftentimes they just want to pop that kid out fast and get you moved into the recovery suite.

BabyFetus Ticker

• Are there any good baby sample things anyone would recommend subscribing to for a FTM?  For example... I know the Honest Company will send you samples and you just pay for shipping.  Is it worth it?  Are there any other good ones?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Snoogle and genie bras for the win!

Pregnancy Ticker

• @kelseyh62 almost everywhere you register at will give you bags of samples. Many come with pacifiers and bottles. Also, when I was pregnant with my daughter, I got a sample bag from
    motherhood maternity with a subscription to a magazine. 
  • @asnowsurfer I'm mostly a back sleeper as well... but I was reading that near end of first tri it's a good idea to switch to your side (FTM here). They said it will take less pressure off your hips when they start separating. I'll admit that my hips and lower back have been hurting lately... like always sore. I tried to side sleep only last night and it sucked. 
    Did any other STM experience this? And why do they recommend left side sleeping?! I would've assumed right side to take pressure/weight of your heart. 
  • @Mylitta laying on your left side increases blood flow to the placenta.  It can also decrease your heart rate and blood pressure.

BabyFetus Ticker

• What @colleenkevin said and it's also good for heartburn/indigestion 

Baby Boy 3 is on the way! 
    Due 1/21/17
  • cjs260cjs260 member
    What is some good stuff to just buy here and there? Like when you want to buy something baby related, but not something huge/expensive? 

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker                                       

• How many onesies/sleepers/etc did you lovely STMs find you actually needed? I'm going to do my best to keep clutter to a minimum the first 6 months since we'll be living in a one bedroom apartment until we move back to the States, but I don't know how much clothing would be considered the bare minimum. We also don't have a dryer in our apartment, so washing will basically need to be kept to one load a day, two if we buy a second dry rack (and right now, we do laundry about every other day).
    *************************************************************************************************************Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • scgirl6113scgirl6113 member
    edited June 2016
    My rule to keep clutter down is 5 outfits, 1 dress outfit, and 5 sleepers. I do laundry every other day. @moosette113
    Baby Boy 3 is on the way! 
    Due 1/21/17
  • I want to start stocking up on diapers... But I'm afraid I'm going to buy too many of one size and baby grows out of them before use. How many newborn diapers did you go through before your baby started growing?
    <3 * Happily married August, 23rd, 2014 * <3

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @hj.morgan more than you think you'll need! We were in NB sized diapers for 3 months. Granted I gave birth to a peanut, she's still in the 2nd percentile and at a year is wearing 6-9 month clothes.
  • HJ.Morgan said:
    I want to start stocking up on diapers... But I'm afraid I'm going to buy too many of one size and baby grows out of them before use. How many newborn diapers did you go through before your baby started growing?
    Buy one or two newborn packs and one or two one size packs so you'll be prepared.  As long as you don't open them, you can return them, especially to places like Target.  I think DS was only in NB for a short while but was in 1s for a long time.  You just won't know until the baby arrives what size best fits.  Some babies barely wear NB and others are in them for a long time. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @cjs260 I bought baby clothes for DS here and there when I saw something really cute on sale before he was born (even though people will buy clothes for you).  I occasionally bought board books.  You can buy lovies/stuffed animals for baby too.  We bought a Woolly Mammoth for DS before he was born and it has become his favorite stuffed animal.  He loves that thing and it makes me so happy that he loves it. Just be sure that if they have the bead eyes that you don't give them to the baby too early.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Question: Can pacifiers be reused or should we get new ones?  I think we still have two of DS's wubbanubs and I'd like to reuse them if I can, but I also worry about the pacifier part breaking down.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • adorebellaadorebella member
    edited June 2016
    HJ.Morgan My son wore exactly 1 newborn diaper before moving to size 1 - he was simply too big right out of the gate. This time around I'll probably just buy one package of NB and go from there. Definitely stock up on size 1 and size 2, those will last you awhile.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • ashanne88 said:
    Question: Can pacifiers be reused or should we get new ones?  I think we still have two of DS's wubbanubs and I'd like to reuse them if I can, but I also worry about the pacifier part breaking down.
    Pretty sure this is something you don't want to reuse. Chewing on them can create tiny little dents and holes you may not be able to see where bacteria and germs can build up. I think the same goes for bottle nipples. 

Pregnancy Ticker

• @cjs260 if you think you'll have a baby shower then I'd wait on buying much. However, you can never have too many diapers! Stock up on size 1 and 2 (unless you plan on cloth diapering). You'll be glad you did. 

That being said, I couldn't help myself from buying cute little things (can't remember what exactly) here and there.

Pregnancy Ticker

• sagoonsagoon member
    edited June 2016
    @cjs260 books are a great little thing to buy.  You can never have too many.  I bought clothes as well, though you'll get a ton at your shower if you have one.  Try to resist the baby shoes!  They are adorable but so, so useless.

@moosette113 I would just get maybe 14 sleepers or so.  (a week's worth with extras for spit up, blow outs etc).  They'll be winter babies to they probably won't need onesies until 3 months or so, unless you like to layer.  Babies get a social pass for hanging out in their jammies all day.  ;)

HJ.Morgan My son was in NB size for about a month before we had to size up.  Just don't open the boxes until you are ready to use them and you can exchange for a bigger size.

@ashanne88 I wouldn't reuse pacifiers.  The rubber can degrade over time and become brittle and easy to bite through.

Jan17 Sept Sig: Pumpkin Spice gone too far
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • cjs260cjs260 member
    @ashanne88 I love the idea of a stuffed toy. I'll look for that next time I'm "craving" to buy, haha! 

@LastMango We plan on cloth diapering, so we are purchasing those items a little at a time. I probably will have a small shower, but it will be attended by other grad students (and we all make very little money. Not everyone has a H with a "real job".) so I don't expect too much to be bought off the registry. We'd like to buy a thing or two a paycheck, so that we have a pretty good stock of the things we need. 

@sagoon Yes! Books are a great idea!

Thanks all! 

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker                                       

• We stocked up in wipes with DS. Target usually has pretty good sales on baby items, so we would buy them then. We bought non scented ones since there's no way of knowing whether baby would be sensitive to any of that yet. Even at almost 2, we still use so many wipes, between diapers and just general messes. 

DS was only in newborn diapers for a few weeks, but in size 1 and 2 for a while. We eventually switched to cloth, but it was nice to have a few boxes of each. 

DS was a summer babies so he lived on onsies. Even though this baby will be in January I probably won't get too many sleepers because in FL our "winter" doesn't last very long. We will probably layer this one with a onsie and some pants and shirt. 
  • @ashanne88 we're still using the pacifiers and wubbanub and bottle nipples since DD is just about to turn 1, so I hadn't even considered needed new ones. It makes sense that they'll break down over time, but I don't know, my preemie and level 1 nipples are less than a year old. I'll probably stock up on more, just because some have gotten lost over time but probably won't be throwing out all the old ones in preparation for the new baby.