Infertility

IVF question

I am currently on day 9 of Gonal F and luvera. I don't think my results are very good but the nurse didn't seem concerned. On my day 8 scan I showed 5 follicles. 3 that are almost mature and two smaller ones. She said that I still have time for other follicles to stimulate between now and my ultrasound on Monday but I'm very skeptical. Has anyone else run into this where they had more abruptly stim close to the end? If they don't change my date of retrieval that's only 5 days away.... It just doesn't seem likely. 
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: IVF question

• @sphinx24 I haven't had an experience exactly like yours, but I do know that I had 3 that were almost mature as well as some smaller ones and they had me "hold" and keep stimming a couple days while taking meds to prevent ovulation, and a few more follicles did pop up. On day 6 I had 8 follicles, by day 8 it was 10 and by day 10 it was 12. I ended up with 9 eggs, so at least one of those late bloomers caught up. 

Have they adjusted your meds up throughout the cycle? Might be worth a conversation with your doctor to get his/her point of view on a reasonable outcome to expect.

Good luck!
    Me: 30, mild DOR
    Him: 31, totes fine.
    IUI #1: 5 follicles, cycle cancelled :-/
    IUI #2: 1 follicle, BFP, chemical
    IVF #1: 12 follicles, 9 eggs, 1 fresh 5dt and 4 on ice. BFP, beta #1: 326, beta #2: 841 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I had a similar situation, but my IVF was cancelled.  I had about 7 follicles growing, but only 3 or 4 looked like they might be in the running.  Then my blood work showed a progesterone increase and my estrogen leveled off, so the IVF was cancelled.  That indicated poor egg quality, so it wasn't worth going in to retrieve just a few, if the quality wasn't good.

That was my first IVF.  On my second, I had just two follicles.  So it cancelled also.

The good thing about cancelling early was that I'm entitled to a substantial refund-- I have a credit of about $10k towards my next try (which won't involve my own eggs).  If I'd pushed for ER and nothing came of it, I'd be out the $10k.  That's the silver lining of having IVF cancelled.

I hope you have better results than I did.  And that's a really cute puppy-- is it yours?
    Me- 39 (turning 40 in April), TTC for the first time ever (since Jan 2015), low ovarian reserve
    Married 3/14/14 to my wonderful wife, but her sperm count is rather low
    TTC with frozen donor sperm and science

7 IUIs, 7 BFNs.
    2 IVF attempts, both cancelled and converted to IUI, both BFNs.
    Decided that my tired old ovaries are ready to retire.
    Next step- reciprocal IVF, using my wife's eggs, my uterus!  
    fresh 5 day transfer (2 embryos) 4/17/17- BFP! 
    Identical twins "due" 1/2/17 (but anticipated arrival sometime December)

• Loading the player...
  • My RE talked a lot about how it's the LH later in your cycle that helps follicles/eggs mature. The Gonal F is like an Army recruiter yelling at everyone to get in line but it doesn't actually make them mature. Once you start using the cetrotide (or ganirelix) they will grow and mature some.

I'm a terrible example but on a Wednesday I had 2 follies at 16 and 2 at 13-14. My RE thought we'd probably need to cancel as she feared the smaller ones had stopped growing. By Friday, all 4 follies were 17-17.5mm so they scheduled the retrieval for Sunday. (I'm a low responder and was a very slow grower - used the full 14 days of stims.)
    ______________________________________________________________________________

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Trying to conceive #2
    Me: 36 - slight DOR (AMH: 1.1), decent OAR; DH: 41 - Morphology 4%
    NTNP July-Aug 2014, ATTC Sept 2014-Present
    October 2014 - CP
    July 2015 - Clomid + #1 IUI = BFN
    September 2015 - Clomid + #2 IUI = CP
    October 2015 - Letrozole (5 follies - yay!) + #3 IUI = BFN
    November 2015 - CP
    December 2015 - CP
    February 2016 - Letrozole + #4 IUI = CP
    April 2016 - CP
    May/June 2016 - IVF #1 and IUI #5 (Estrace + Follistim + micro-hCG + HGH) = BFN

Struggled to conceive #1 2012-2013
    Me: Chronic Pain Condition since 2009, DH: Slightly Abnormal SA
    Clomid #1: March 2013 - BFN; Clomid + IUI: May 2013 CXL; BFP on 4/22/13 = Baby Boy #1 1/1/14

• Klake42- that is my puppy but he's all grown up now! I should post a new picture... He's almost 6 lol. 

So I went in for more bloodwork and an ultrasound. I have 5 that are ready and 3 little ones all on the one side. They have not adjusted my meds at all. It's been 187.5 units of gonal f and 75 of luverus. The nurse this morning suggested that I was borderline for retrieval so I wasn't sure what the doctor was going to say. He seems happy with my bloodwork and results and is having the retrieval done on the 30th. I'm trusting my doctor since he's the expert that this is the best option because everything is being frozen we are not doing a fresh transfer and I can't switch to an iui cycle. Hopefully it works out and we get at least a couple that make it to being frozen. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml