August 2016 Moms

nursery lighting (nighttime diaper changes)

Im trying to find that perfect light that I can put next to/on/above changing table. Something that give you enough light to see to change a diaper in the middle of the night, but not bright enough to get baby thinking that it is morning and they can get up and play. Has anyone found a light that they are in love with?
Married - 4/7/07
Son #1- 2/15/08
Son #2- 8/18/10
Baby 3 due 8/8/16

Re: nursery lighting (nighttime diaper changes)

• This was such a struggle with DS! We tried about 10 different night lights and they all either gave too much or too little light. I hope someone has a good solution!

• No advice, but it's a good idea to get something.  We have dim-able lights in the nursery so I just put the lights on low for overnight changes/feedings.  I definitely think it helps.
  • Loading the player...
  • We have a lamp in the room, but it's too bright for nighttime diaper changes. With DD, we leave the hall light on or turn on the bathroom light across from her room and then crack her door to allow just a little light in. It's enough for me to see and not too much to wake her. 

• When DD was in our room, we used our cell phone flash lights and covered it with a yellow burp rag. It wasn't too bright and allowed enough for us see. I think we just used the hall light when she moved into her own room. 
  • With dd we did a pop light and will.again. I first had it sitting on my nightstand and then on her changing table when she went to her room. Worked perfectly.
  • We're working on figuring this out for when baby is in our room during the early days. We have a sitting room attached to our master that we have put a pack & play in. I read that red lights don't "wake up" your brain as much, so I was planning to use red lighting in the sitting room in hopes that we would all fall back asleep quicker than if we turned on a lamp or something. DH isn't a fan of the red lighting, so I'm working on finding another solution that will work for everyone.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • We have a lamp in our room that is pretty dim, I think only a 15 or 20 watt bulb in it, and the shade is a burgundy color, so I think it will work while DS is in our room. I need to find another lamp for in the Nursery though.
  • I found a motion sensor nightlight at Bed, Bath, and Beyond for like $10. We have one in our bathroom right now and its awesome. Just enough light for me to see my way to the toilet, but it barely wakes me off. I plan on getting another for the baby's room so Im not looking for a lightswitch and since it isnt super bright.
  • We just use a plug in night light. We tried out a few before we got the one we liked that gave just enough lighting without being too much. 
  • I would just leave the hall light on and the nursery door open.  Of course the nursery is one of the only rooms in the house that does NOT have a dim-able light, otherwise that's a good option, too.
    DD  <3 6/15/2014
    Baby #2 due 8/11/2016

• We used a lamp and put a blanket over it
  • Our sound machine has a night light that is perfect for me to see and it also has a light projector that has characters on it. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • @Duffgurl we have that projector/ sound machine too. It works really well for night time. I need to get a new one tho bc the projector stopped working after being dropped a couple times! Oops! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • cal031686 said:
    @Duffgurl we have that projector/ sound machine too. It works really well for night time. I need to get a new one tho bc the projector stopped working after being dropped a couple times! Oops! 
    I've heard great things about contacting the CS department and them replacing with a new one. Might check that out :wink:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Lurking from Jan 16

We have this awesome light that stays charged for over a month at a time. I leave it on the lowest setting all night and it is just enough light to see by for middle of the night feeding a and diaper changes. I've recommended it to all my friends! 

https://www.amazon.com/SUNMEG-Brightness-Adjustable-Applicatin-multi-functional/dp/B018LWGOSK/ref=sr_1_34?ie=UTF8&qid=1467200680&sr=8-34-spons&keywords=led+sphere+lamp&psc=1
  • @Duffgurl oooo, nice!! I will give it a try! I'm all for saving money!! :smile:
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I second just leaving the hall light on and opening the door of the nursery.  We didn't have a lamp in the nursery at all.  If I ever needed more light, I'd just use the flashlight feature on my phone.

BFP #1: 08/17/2012  DD1 born 05/01/2013

BFP #2: 07/31/2015  M/C 09/23/2015 (11.5 weeks)

BFP #3: 12/16/2015 DD2 born 8/27/2016
  • We just kept the hall light on all night. That way we weren't going from dark to light and the difference waking him up more. 
    BFP #1 10/6/11 | EDD 6/15/12 | MMC 11/7/11 @ 8w3d | D&C 11/14/11

BFP #2 8/22/12 | EDD 5/5/13 | DS1 born 5/9/13

BFP #3 4/25/15 | EDD 1/7/16 | MMC 7/2/15 @ 13w1d | D&E 7/8/15

BFP #4 12/9/15 | EDD 8/22/16 | DS2 born 5/18/16 at 26w2d

Just keep swimming.
  • We installed a ceiling fan/light combo. I asked DH probably 3 times in the store if we can put a dimmer on it, and he of course ignored me until we got home and I said "how do we dim it" and he finally realized we got one that doesn't dim. Good thing he's handy and will just rewire it somehow so I can dim it! 
  • @caitlinj187.. we just put in a ceiling fan light combo too, and it was already wired to be dimmed. My husband's friend is an electrition, and he wired it now so that it can't be dimmed. Apparently it will wear the motor or something out on the fixture. Something to keep in mind 
  • We had a dimming switch in our previous house when we had our first LO and it was AMAZING. When we built the house were in last summer, I requested that Hubby put dimming switches in both bedrooms upstairs. It's so great to just flip the light on really low and turn up to just where you can see. Obviously, this isn't always an option, so as some previous posters mentioned, keeping a light on in the hallway and cracking the door may be just enough or even if there is a closet light that might do it! 

TTC 9/2013

BFP#1: 9/28/2013, EDD 5/28/13, MC confirmed 10/15/13, D&C 10/17/13

BFP#2: 1/10/2014, EDD 9/19/2014

• @caitlinj187.. we just put in a ceiling fan light combo too, and it was already wired to be dimmed. My husband's friend is an electrition, and he wired it now so that it can't be dimmed. Apparently it will wear the motor or something out on the fixture. Something to keep in mind 
    DS is afraid of the dark so we've been keeping his light dimmed for over a year now every night. It's a ceiling fan/light combo that's been here for g-d knows how long (the house was built in the 60s and we moved in 3 years ago). We haven't had any issues yet. 
  • I have a little diffuser/humidifier in our room that lights up and changes colors but also has just mild white light. I'll give that a shot while the baby is in our room and if it works I'll get one for her room too. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • We used this little LED nightlight that Target had in the kids section for our first. It's not much light but we made due. I have read that there is a special bulb you can buy specifically that doesn't alert the system. Wish I knew what it was called but it's out there!
  • @searchingforameaning I'm a FTM so I haven't gotten to use it yet, but I got this awesome night light at my shower, it has a clip to go on the changing table and it's bright enough to see yet dim for baby- I'm really excited to use it! It's not too expensive, either!
    https://www.buybuybaby.com/store/product/mighty-bright-baby-bright-airplane-light/1042266150?Keyword=airplane+light