January 2017 Moms

Furniture for Toddler

for you second time moms out there.... Who might have older kids than me. 

dd is 19 months and I think we're just going to put her in a twin this fall and give the crib to #2.... Where have you looked/found your bed room sets? A few people suggested ikea to me (which would be a big trip) but I'm kind of intimidated by ikea... 

Re: Furniture for Toddler

• katesmama0706katesmama0706 member
    edited June 2016
    I would think if you're gonna go twin rather than toddler then you could just go anywhere that sells furniture! We have a twin in our guest room that will eventually be our older daughters bed when she's done with the crib that we got at Target but we looked at a few different furniture specialty stores and Walmart too. 

ETA ikea scares me. It always ends in a screaming match and I don't even like the looks of their stuff all that much. 
  • sagoonsagoon member
    We went to Ashley Home Furniture.  They have a surprisingly good selection of kids furniture.  We skipped the toddler bed and went straight from the crib to a twin.

Jan17 Sept Sig: Pumpkin Spice gone too far
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • BrialaBriala member
    For those skipping a toddler bed how did that work? How old were your kiddos when you switched from a crib? We are likely going to be going straight to a twin too but Inam
    bot quite sure how to do it. I worry he'll get up in the middle of the night and hurt himself
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Me: 26 DH: 29 Married 8/4/2012
    BFP #1 8/20/2013 | EDD 5/4/2014 | MMC 10/2/2013 9w3d | D&C 10/8/2013
    BFP #2 2/8/2014 (kinda) EDD 10/29/2014
     | DS Born 10/8/2014 
    TTCAL 11/2015 BFP #3 5/12/16 | EDD Jan 2017
  • Owen switched from a crib to a twin bed with a bed safety rail when he was 2 1/2. Luckily we had no issues with the transition. We got his bed from IKEA (love!) but you can get a twin bed at any place that sells furniture.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I don't have a clue what to do. My daughter is a terrible sleeper in general. (Same age as your LO)  If she wants to keep sleeping in her crib, she is welcome to until she's 15. We will buy a second crib if we need to. Haven't thought about furniture yet for the babe or toddler. 
  • sagoonsagoon member
    @Briala our son was actually in his crib until he was 3!  He never tried to climb out, so we never saw a reason to go the toddler bed route.  Eventually he was getting too long for it so we got the twin bed.  He's been in it for about a year now and has only fallen out once. 

Jan17 Sept Sig: Pumpkin Spice gone too far
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • My DD is 20 months. She started climbing out of her crib two weeks ago but I wasn't ready to transition her. It really caught me off guard. Not even on my radar. I had plans to night wean her and help her sleep better at night. We ended up buying a neighbors used crib that is several inches higher and had all the parts to become a toddler bed when it's time. Her first crib will be the new baby's crib. 
  • I do plan on getting a rail for the twin bed but my 19 month old is also 31lbs so it's no easy task getting her in and out of the crib and esp as I progress I know it'll become nearly impossible 
  • My 19th month old has started trying to climb out of the crib and just hasn't ever been a great sleeper in his crib. Occasionally he'll sleep in bed with me and does great. His crib transitions to a toddler bed so this weekend we are going to do that to start and see how it goes. If that goes well (or if it doesn't) we will transition to a twin before baby comes just to not have to buy another crib. However, we will probably start with the twin mattress on the floor (or on the box spring on the floor) to prevent falling from higher up. Then we will tackle actually getting a bed down the road. His crib also transitions to a double size head and footboard so maybe by the time this baby is ready for a twin bed, we can give the older one the double bed :) As for the rest of the furniture in his room, I'm not sure. Because he is a climber, it will be minimal and anything we do get will be anchored to the wall.

Pregnancy Ticker

• I realized that doesn't answer your question about where. Nebraska Furniture Mart or Homemakers usually have a great selection of bedroom furniture for a reasonable price. You can shop them online if they aren't local to you (and you don't mind buying furniture online).

Pregnancy Ticker