April 2016 Moms
Options

Baby won't take bottle :(

Long story short I return to work in two weeks and we've been doing a lot of dry runs with DD and my in laws.  The first time we had no issues and she took the bottle fine.  Since then it's gone down hill.  I figured it was because MIL is bottle happy and will over feed to soothe.  She did this with DD1.  The times that she has been left with MIL have only been for 3 hrs tops so I haven't been too worried.  Last night she straight up refused the bottle and screamed at MIL.  She was offered a bottle 45 mins after I had fed her, and again at two hours. MIL thinks it was reflux and she was in pain.  Part of the problem was MIL had not assembled the bottle correctly so the nipple wasnt fully sealed to the ring.  When I tested this at home it made the flow very difficult so I can see DD being upset.  We've tried a few different brands but I don't want to spend a small fortune trying to figure out a better bottle if she is going to reject it much like she did with a pacifier.

Our Dr warned us that she might refuse the bottle but she would either take it or wait until I get back from work.  I work about 40 mins from the ILs so even some of the suggested going home to nurse or having her brought to me isn't going to work.  Thoughts?

Re: Baby won't take bottle :(

• Options
    Have you tried Dr. Browns? I EP and DD likes this one the best by far. We tried quite a few brands. 

Can your DH offer her the bottle more frequently? Maybe that would help get her used to it?
  • Options
    Second Dr. Brown's and wait until she is truly hungry. Do not over offer it. With DD1 we also had to have a total stranger (to baby, in our case a neighbor) offer it when neither my mom nor I were in room, with a second neighbor there to distract her.  Good luck. Can be very tough, but if she's hungry enough she will eat. 
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Make sure she is holding the baby correctly, and that the baby is truly hungry. Don't lie baby down with the bottle smothering her head, that's how you get horrible reflux. Instead, sit her up and hold the bottle parallel to the floor. That will decrease pressure at the nipple and decrease the urge to "chug" which causes stomach aches later. Also stop for little burp breaks, so the baby trusts that she will not be in pain by the end. The caveat is that this will mean the baby can eat more... So only measure out exactly as much as you want her to eat in the bottle.
  • Options
    Thanks ladies.  We haven't tried Dr. Browns yet.  I am going to spend time with the ILS tomorrow and see how it goes.  SFIL is going to be the primary caregiver as MIL still works three days a week.  He and I discussed the incident from last night and he's not convinced the bottle or reflux is the issue.  He thinks MIL might have started the whole stomach issue by trying to feed J when she wasn't hungry and continuing to push making the situation worse.  We agreed to try the few bottles I have here before buying more.

I am nervous she is going to reject the bottle and not eat.  I am going to be away from her 10+ hours a day which is a long time to not eat.