June 2016 Moms

Birth story and PP Pre-eclampsia

(Are people posting these here or maybe just on the birth story board? If so, sorry in advance! but I just had to tell you ladies)

Well, little Miss came in May, but since June was always my board, I wanted to share my story. About a week ago, I left work early because my feet were so swollen I couldn't take it anymore. I went to bed that night and around 10p, my water broke, just like in the movies but in my bed. I was not having any contractions. By the time we got to our birth center, I was contracting. I specifically picked the birth center so I could have the options of the jacuzzi, the big tub, the yoga balls, birthing chairs, nitrous, etc. as well as the mentality of the midwife birth. Well, I could only labor in two positions: standing up and on the toilet. As a FTM, I had no idea what to expect. I was throwing up quite a bit and they finally gave me meds for the nausea. Well, that made it impossible for me to even stand up anymore, I was so seriously doped (also, the nitrous did nothing for me). By that time, the pain was getting far more intense and I asked for the one thing I wanted to avoid, an epidural, however, I realized I could not take the pain in my compromised state. So, off to the hospital we had to drive (BC was about 7 minutes away).

By the time we got to the hospital, I was pretty much in active labor. Things were moving so fast. It would have taken a 1/2 hour for the blood work, a 1/2 hour for something else and THEN they would have called the anesthesiologist. By this time, I was having awful back labor (God bless you ladies for being able to take that). That was honestly the worst part of the whole experience. Then her head dropped and I was on my back giving birth to my amazing baby girl. I said I wouldn't look in the mirror, but I did and watched her come out. Like 3-4 pushes per contraction. I thought my body would just know how to push. It did not--thanks to some amazing coaching of a nurse, we helped her out. Baby Violet was born at 4a last Friday morning, weighing 6 lb 7 oz, 19.5 inches. It was truly the most amazing experience of my life. I only got almost 2nd degree tears. It took about a half hour to get sewn up. I stayed in the hospital for 24 hours and then was sent on my way. Door to door, I had the baby within 6 hours at 38w2d. So you really never know. And I fought tooth and nail to be at the BC, but ended up very happily at the hospital, but was very glad that I did not get the epidural (which I really didn't want).

I did the newborn baby thing and was getting into a routine for a few days, but I wondered if my dizziness was just hormones. I had had a rare brain condition a few years ago that only could resurface in light of pre-eclampsia and eclampsia so in the back of my mind I knew to watch my BP, just in the 1 in a million chance it could happen again. I had a completely uneventful pregnancy with normal BPs and usually have low BP in real life. Well, my BP was super high and they had me monitored in the hospital 4-5 hours one night. Repeated the next night and my BP at my highest was in the 200s/100s and now there was protein in my urine. I was treated for 36 hours (which was really rough, the treatment) for PE. But I think many people think P/E is only for while pregnant but it can actually happen up to one month afterwards. So if you don't feel right, listen to your gut. Not everything is changing hormones.

Anyway, I was am a huge worrywart and had worried about a late baby, tearing, etc ad nauseum, but none of my worries really came to fruition (except the last one!) And amazingly, even though I thought I would never make threw the hard parts, afterwards, I just thought "eh, that wasn't so bad". Must be biological. Thanks for letting me share this.
*****Losses Mentioned*****BFP MENTIONED*****ALL WELCOME******ALL ABOARD!!

Me: 42, DH: 46, Married: 11/12
Losses: MMC#1 11/12 BO, MC#2 11/13 at 8w BO?, MMC#3 8/14 chromo healthy M @12 weeks, stopped growing at 10.
Negligible AMH, FSH finally went high. Pursued DE.

DD born at 38w2d on 5-27-16. Finally!!

Pregnant again with OE. EDD 11/9/17 Girl!

BabyGaga

Re: Birth story and PP Pre-eclampsia

• Congrats to you! I'm glad you got the pre E under control and are doing well. 

babysizercom pregnancy ticker

• Congrats! Your little girl is beautiful.
  • Loading the player...
  • Congrats!!!! She is soo cute!!
  • Congratulations!   Glad you are doing better.  

Daisypath Anniversary tickers 
  • Congrats!!!
  • Congrats!!
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Congrats on your beautiful baby girl!!
  • Bringing this post up because my dr thinks I most likely had an undiagnosed case of post pardum pre eclampsia. The day after I gave birth I started swelling in my feet and ankles, blood pressure/vision normal and no headaches at this point. I was discharged a few days later feet still extremely swollen, bp, vision normal and no headache. A few days later and one week after I had given birth I made an appt because I was concerned about the swelling with a NP at my GP's office. My bp was 135/84 which is outrageous for me but not the standard used for diagnosing pre e. The NP happened to be someone I know so she said to text her that weekend with any symptoms or if my bp went over 140/90, and put me on a blood pressure diuretic med to hopefully help me. Thankfully a few days later the swelling had gone and my bp was 120/80, still relatively high for me but an acceptable bp. I went to my ob for my post surgical two week check up and told her about what had happened and she said she was willing to bet money that it was a mild case of pp pre e, which can often times resolve itself. The moral of the story is if something feels unsettling even if it's not presenting in the typical fashion make sure you get checked out and don't wait forever like I did.