January 2017 Moms
Options

AMA moms

Looking for those AMA moms to lean on.

Today at work, a coworker was talking about her daughter who has recently announced she is pregnant. She's in her 20s. Her due date is actually just a couple of days different than mine. I haven't told anyone my news yet. She was talking about how she's happy about this surprise because her daughter is the kind of person who would just never get around to having children and would be 35 before she thought about it. 

I jumped in and jokingly said hey now that's hitting close to home. We all laughed because I have a 3 year old and was close to 34 when I had him. Then she said, think about it now, 45 with a 10-year-old. I was like yeah, yeah I know. 

Now, I'm worried about telling them I'm pregnant even though I obviously will need to say something in the next few weeks because I'll start to show. I know it was in joking, but deep down they really were saying that's too old to have a kid. I'm worried about being judged, which is crazy because I know they'll be happy for me but I also worry what they'll be thinking deep down. 

Anyone else have negative feedback about your age and being pregnant? 

Re: AMA moms

• Options
    cjs260cjs260 member
    I'm not AMA, but seriously. How rude. People need to keep their noses out of other people's uteruses. I'm sorry you've had to hear that. You are not too old to have a kid. Do people expect you to be incapable of caring for a child at 45 or above? Ugh. How ridiculous. Hugs your way. 

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker                                       

• Options
    I'm also not AMA but my aunt had my cousin (miracle baby!) when she was 40 and is really self conscious because of her age. I think comments like that are absolutely rude and show a blatant disregard for someone who might be in that situation. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm not AMA, in fact just the opposite, I had my first at 21, and I'll be just barely 23 when this baby is born. But I have gotten lots of negatice reactions about having babies at my age. Despite that I've been married for 3 years, people seem to think I need to be "busy doing young people things". Drives me nuts. My family planning is none of your business people!
  • Options
    I am 37 will turn 38 just weeks before my baby is due. I've had some not great reactions to my pregnancy but really I don't care. I had talked with my dr after a surprise pregnancy last year that ended in Mmc and asked if my age played a factor. He said absolutely not, I'm healthy and active and nothing should stop me from trying again. I had my first child an hour before my 21st birthday and then my 2nd at 30 my 3rd at 32 and now last one at 38. I will have a 17 your old, 7 yr old & 5 yr old & newborn . I take care of all of them with my spouse so I don't care what other people really have to say about it. 
  • Options
    I will be AMA (by a whole month :-) ). But really it's no one's business but yours. One of my co-workers has three kids and she was AMA for all three. They are wonderful kids and the oldest is now ten. Another co-worker had an almost two years old, she was AMA then and I know they are trying for number 2 as well. People need to mind their own biz.
  • Options
    Vivi20Vivi20 member
    That's completely absurd. I don't think you, or any one else here, is too old to have a baby. There is absolutely nothing wrong with having babies well into your 30's. I might even venture to say it's better to wait, for a variety of reasons, but even still there are younger mothers who ARE ready, too, and that's all good. I'm 33 now, and I didn't have my first till I was 30. I'm sure we'll go for a third, God willing, and if so I will be at least 36-37 when that happens. 
    Don't let their comments get to you. 
    BabyFetus Ticker

SaveSave
  • Options
    AMA here. I'll be 39 when the babe is born. Fortunately, I haven't gotten any negative comments but I have freaked out about my age. I am so sorry that your co-worker said those things. I feel like it is more common these day to be an older mom than to be a younger mom - but that just might the a location thing too because back home in Mississippi, plenty of my high school friends have teenage kids. So I don't know. To each their own. Either way, I hear ya. Hang in there mama.

***TW****MC mentioned & BFP mentioned***

me 38 DH 39.  
    TTC#1 since July 2014
    AMH 0.1, DOR, Poor responder
    Moved to Prague, Czech Republic for IVF
    2 Natural IVF cycles, 3 full IVF cycles, 4 transfers, 1 BFP - heard heartbeat at 6w5d
    Diagnosed MMC at 9w1d on 11/30/15
    Headed back home to Colorado 12/12/15

DE attempt in Czech Republic!! 

March trip to Prague canceled due to Pancreatitis. :sob:
    Headed to Prague April 30
    3 different donors resulted in 1 PGS tested embryo and 1 fresh embryo
    2 embryo's transferred (from 2 different donors) on 5/10/16
    BFP on 5/15/16 at 5dp5dt
    Beta 1 = 81 at 8dp5dt, Beta 2 = 295 at 10dp5dt, Beta 3 = 891 at 12dt5dt. Beta 4 = 2114 at 14dp5dt, Beta 5 = 4916 at 16dp5dt, Beta 6 = 13252 at 19dp5dt
    Heartbeat at 6w5d 133BPM <3
    We are having a GIRL!!! Due Jan 26, 2017

BabyFruit Ticker

My blog: www.wearethehammitts.blogspot.com

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    Not AMA either, but that is damn rude of your coworker. It weirds me out that AMA is even a discussion outside for anyone to have outside of the doctor's office. It's easy to reframe things positively for having a child in your 30s instead of 20s just as much as it's easy to put a positive spin on having a child in your 20s. I'll be 32 when this baby, my first, is born--but I don't really care. You're only as old as you feel like you are, and for me at least, I think having a LO in my 30s will actually keep me young and active.
  • Options
    Thanks ladies. Having children well into your 30s isn't uncommon in my area and definitely not to my generation. This coworker is old enough to be my mom, and i just think she's thinking about the ages her group of friends was when they started having kids. I also think it shows just how shocked she's going to be when I tell her because it's obvious she has no idea, or she wouldn't have said that out loud in front of me. 

I had said that I we were probably done. It had been two years with no luck, so we really weren't expecting this to happen. I'm still trying to wrap my mind around it, hence why we haven't told anyone. I know that God has a plan though, and this child is part of it for my little family.

Although I'm not one to care what other people think, I guess part of it bothered me a little because it's true. I was the person who focused on my education, career and then continued my education for a career change that would be more family friendly. Then, I got around to marriage and children. It's just the course my life has taken, and I wouldn't change any of it. It's made me who I am and prepared me to be the mother I am. That's a great mother who loves my little boy with all my heart, and I'll love this one the same. Even if I am old. ;)
  • Options
    Vivi20Vivi20 member
    edited June 2016
    @Teach123 I think it's FANTASTIC that you finished your education, established your career, then married and are now having a child. That sounds like a pretty ideal set up, to me. I'm going to encourage my own daughter to go about it the same way, too. She may not want to be a career woman (I didn't want to, either), BUT having an education and work experience under her belt before she starts a family is my goal for her.
    And you're not old.

Edited because it's early and words are hard.
    BabyFetus Ticker

SaveSave
  • Options
    I'm not an AMA. People can be so damn RUDE! For me I had my first child at the age of 20,23, 26 and people are like your crazy. So young with three kids. I just tell them thank god you don't pay my bills or take care of my kids. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I'm 35 and will be 36 when this one is born, I had my daughter at 32.  I sometimes still feel so young and can't even believe people consider this to be "old" to have kids.  I really can't imagine having kids when I was 10 yrs younger.
    This! I was 32 when I had my daughter and will be 35 when this one is born. I absolutely was not ready for kids 10 years ago and was too busy living it up to think about it. I still feel young and feel like this is the right time for me to be a mother. Everyone's got an opinion. Don't let it get to you. 

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm not an AMA mom, but I feel you on the rudeness of some people. All my family has been super supportive but anyone outside my little circle has been really condescending about how young I am, even though I'm 23 (24 by my due date). They're telling me stuff like I should've been born in an earlier generation to have kids this young and that they're surprised any millennials even want kids. I even got one lady who told me I needed to finish high school before moving on to kids (lady I'm married and in my 20's!).... I wish people would just stay out of our uterus's!
    Previously PaukMeKiande
    Surprise BFP/MC February 2011 
    BFP May 16th 2016
    EDD January 25 2017
    DD born January 30 2017
    Surprise BFP/MC April 2017
  • Options
    Agreeing with everyone else.

45 with a 10yo sounds like the norm to me. I will be 35 when these babies are born. I was 26 when I had my son. He just turned 8 and I feel like I'm one of the youngest moms among his classmates' and sports friends' parents. So I'm assuming I'll fit right in when these babies are older, haha. Don't let it get you down, it's a different time now than it was when your coworker had kids. 

DS: June 2008
    Married: July 2015
    BFP: 5/20/16  |  EDD: 1/28/17  |  Twin boys born 1/16/17
  • Options
    The "45 with a 10 year old" comment is really throwing me for a loop.  I don't see how that is even remotely an issue? 45 is not an old lady!  Geez, my mom is 62 and takes care of my DD all day long without any issues.  Your coworker has a skewed perspective in my opinion. Maybe this is making her feel old herself and she's having a weird reaction to that. 
    I did have a coworker once gasp and say "wow, child bride!" when she found out I was married.  I was 27 at the time.  People are weird.
    Jan. 2017 Sept. Siggy Challenge - Pumpkin Spice Gone TOO Far!

Pregnancy Ticker

BFP 2/3/16 --> MC 2/13/16
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    @curlysue22 Lmao at the "child bride" comment. One of my friends was 21 when she got married and everyone said things like that to her. I was like... "Uh, what? She is legally an adult and can do all the "adult" things that you all can, including legally drinking alcohol."
    Previously PaukMeKiande
    Surprise BFP/MC February 2011 
    BFP May 16th 2016
    EDD January 25 2017
    DD born January 30 2017
    Surprise BFP/MC April 2017
  • Options
    Vivi20Vivi20 member
    Wouldn't having a baby later in life help to keep you young? The 45 year old women I've known who have grown or nearly grown children always seem older to me, but the same aged women with 8, 9, 10 year olds always seem much younger (looks and attitude). Meh, I don't know. Just an observation I've made.
    BabyFetus Ticker

SaveSave
  • Options
    Just chiming in to agree with the others. It's none of their business and they are out of line. You shouldn't be worried what they think, they should be worried what you think and embarrassed once you announce. 
  • Options
    The universe has given me a surprise pregnancy at 44. If I'm lucky, I'll be  *54* with a 10 year old! 
  • Options
    Here's what you should focus on. Because what we focus on is what becomes our perception.

Be grateful that you experienced your life. Walked your path and lived out your twenties. Established a career, found a mate, got married and settled down. 

You are in a secure mental state with the capabilities to teach and guide your child through your personal experiences.

You have developed patience, empathy and understanding that everyone is just trying to do their best.

Yes, it is a wonderful gift to have children in your twenties but it is also a wonderful gift to have a child in your thirties. Both experiences are different and both are wonderful.

I will be midway through 31 once our baby arrives and I wouldn't change the timing for the world.