January 2017 Moms
Options

Harmony test

Has anyone gotten this test done? How much did you pay out of pocket?  How soon did you receive the results? 

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Harmony test

• Options
    I had the progenity test done on 6/17 and they said it takes 10 days. Im waiting for results. 
    ** Highschool Sweethearts ** 
    Married: February 14, 2009

MC: June 6 2010 @ 18 weeks
    DS: December 19, 2011
    MC: October 2, 2015 @ 14 weeks

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I spent 2 hours on the phone trying to figure out the cost for this test and am quite upset by it. My OBGYN's Physicians Asst who I had my initial appt with last week pushed it as less invasive, more accurate and cancels out the other prenatal tests that are done later on. She told me that most insurances don't cover it but the out of pocket expense would only be $130 if they don't--which is true, I was informed by the lab that does the test today and the only insurance the test providers work with directly is Cygna (spelling).

Well, my insurance does cover the test 100% BUT they need prior authorization from my Doctor. No problem I thought, my deductible is almost met, I'll get this test taken care of and not spend the $130. WRONG, my practice doesn't do prior authorization for this test because they only draw the blood they don't test it. So they're refusing to give me the PA so I'll have to pay out of pocket. I even asked the nurse on the phone today if they get compensation from the makers of the test for promoting it. To which I received silence. This upset me beyond belief today. My OBGYN will get compensated for me taking the test but I have to pay for it out of pocket. Doesn't seem right to me and they won't budge. Fairly certain I have notes in my records about being a difficult patient but the truth of the matter is I have a limited income and can't stand paying for something that is covered--even my insurance rep and the Harmony rep on the phone today were dumbfounded. Btw, this isn't the first time I've had an issue with my practice being shady with money/insurance. It is only $130 out of pocket though. To answer part of your question. Lol got my rant too, sorry! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    So, i spent forever talking with my insurance, the genetic councilor and the company. if you HAVE NO INSURANCE, they charge you $130. If you have insurance, they bill insurance. If you have insurance and they bill them and they do not pay, its hard to say what you would be charged. My lab I go to has a deal that you would be charged no more than $550 if insurance doesn't pay. This is a $2700 test and all labs dont have the same "deals." Its quite confusing and takes a lot of work to figure out. The prior auth thing is also confusing, unless you had an abnormal test or quality as high risk. This would be a risky test billing-wise if you didn't have a firm prior auth and 100% coverage.
  • Options
    I don't want to get off topic, but @brennansmom2012, is that actually a thing...notes in a chart/file if you're a PITA? I remember a Seinfeld episode about this years ago which always cracked me up, and I've always assumed I'm probably considered a high-maintenance patient because I take a super active role in my health care.  I really hope that is not actually a thing though. That seems unprofessional. 

sorry about your practice by the way. I'd be very angry too! 
  • Options
    I don't want to get off topic, but @brennansmom2012, is that actually a thing...notes in a chart/file if you're a PITA? I remember a Seinfeld episode about this years ago which always cracked me up, and I've always assumed I'm probably considered a high-maintenance patient because I take a super active role in my health care.  I really hope that is not actually a thing though. That seems unprofessional. 

sorry about your practice by the way. I'd be very angry too! 
    I don't doubt it one bit!!! :D  Today I caught the office in a lie--they said they called me back from my initial call on Monday but couldn't leave a message because my voicemail box was full, it's not and I never received a call, she apologized when I said you do realize this is a cell phone number but then she said it was what the other nurse left in my "notes". Hmmmm...

And I'm like you, I'm very involved but professional with what goes on with my healthcare, bills, life in general but very direct and to the point; some people see this as being a pain or rude but I want to know what I'm getting and why. I don't see a problem with it as long as I'm being courteous. When I was 22 I dropped my dermatologist because he pushed Accutane (spelling) and I was terrified of the drug and he wouldn't offer anything else. He actually told me good luck finding a Dr that would suggest something different. I did and the next practice apologized to me for the jerk. 
  • Options
    Sorry again for straying off topic, but have you considered switching practices?  It sounds like you've had several frustrating experiences.
  • Options
    @BrennansMom2012 Did you try calling the lab that processes the bloodwork to see if they would do the preauthorization based on your doctor's request? All I know is a co-worker had this test done and it cost her $600 WITH insurance. I had blood drawn for the materniT21 myself. Best of luck to you! you can always pay and demand a not from your doctor then try to submit for reimbursement from your insurance.
  • Options
    @lindsladle15 yes I've thought of switching but I love the actual Drs at the practice (my own as well as the others, when it came to the birth of my son another Dr within the practice delivered him because mine was out of town). It's the one nurse and office staff that are pains. Honestly, this is all new territory for me because I had zero of these issues with my first and it's the same practice.  Plus, everyone I know hates their OBGYN right now so I didn't get any good leads when I asked my girlfriends.  :s

@sarah1198 yes, I looked into that as well but the nearest lab is 35 min away and I would still need a request from the Doctor. Called my family physician and they couldn't help either. The way it was explained to me; if you opt to go through insurance and you have a high deductible, I don't, you could pay a large amount. However if you opt out of pocket and no insurance it's $130. Since my insurance would cover just with a pre-authorization I was going to go that route. We were just informed we need a new roof this morning so any help with the ease of bills right now would have been awesome. Oh well! I tried! Lol