April 2016 Moms
Options

Car Seat Expiration

My MIL has a car seatthat is 5 years old that she used with her other grandson. Idk what the expiration date is, but I read that most expire after 6 years. How do I bring this up with her without sounding like an obsessive mother? I doubt she knows about car seat expirations. But its important to me! She wont be driving LO anytime soon, but Im sure she will at some point within his car seat riding life.

Re: Car Seat Expiration

• Options
    AK118AK118 member
    You can check the expiration - should be on the label on the seat somewhere. Or you can look up the model online
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    The expiration is usually on the bottom of the seat. I have had no qualms about being a crazy bitch when it comes to my kid's safety, but I think you could play it off asking if she knows when it expires and maybe being willing to foot the bill for a new one if necessary. I don't think you should have to apologize for sounding like an obsessive mother. If you're not comfortable with the expired seat, that's all that really matters.

ETA: Maybe wait for the next BRU trade-in event and talk to her about trading it in for the discount coupon?
    kids with flags
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @brenlo42 the BRU thing is a good idea! I will suggest that. I already plan on buying a car seat for my parents to use so we can get one for MIL too if necessary. She is babysitting for the first time this Saturday night at her house and she offered to pick LO up, which is why this came up. It was a nice offer, but Im not ready just yet for anyone to be driving LO around except me or my DH. She keeps pestering us to let him stay the night with her, but it aint happening lady! He's 2.5 months old.
  • Options
    I am using the same car seat I used for my 9-year-old. I looked into expiration dates and found they don't really mean anything - just that the manufacturer won't be held responsible in an accident. That being said, if it bothers you, just tell her it bothers you. If she's a reasonable adult and you offer to buy a new car seat, there shouldn't be a problem.