September 2015 Moms

Exhausted...Need Advice

BabyBugutskyBabyBugutsky member
edited June 2016 in September 2015 Moms
So my little one was an awesome sleeper. Slept from 830 to 630 with no wake ups. The last few weeks not so much. He's constantly waking up screaming in the middle of the night. Then I can't get him back to sleep for at least an hour. I'm exhausted and can't function properly.

His top teeth are coming through. Could that be why he isn't sleeping? How can I get him sleeping all night again? He's nine months so I hope this isn't a permanent thing. Any advice would be great! 

Re: Exhausted...Need Advice

• That's totally why he isn't sleeping. Same boat here mama. We swore he had another ear infection and took him in Wednesday. Nope. Just 5 teeth coming in on top at once. Sooooo that's fun, lol. You will get thru this. It's temporary, promise. 
  • I have no advice, just wanted you to know you're not alone. Maybe it is tooth related. My LO had/has 4 teeth coming in (both top and one on each side of the existing bottom) both top ones and one of the bottoms have broke gums but we're still waiting on the other bottom. Anyway!! He went from sleeping relatively well with only 1/sometimes 2 wakings at night- to an absolute freaking monster!! I usually end up fighting him off and on for the first 4 or 5 hours he's in bed, with him waking every hour or so and spending anywhere from 20 minutes to a full hour trying to get him back to sleep. Once I've had my fill I end up cosleeping the rest of the night- he sleeps better but still not great. Cosleeping is NOT what I want- but I need sleep so I've resorted to it for the time being. If you find anything that works or helps feel free to share.
  • Loading the player...
  • Weeks seems like a long time to be tooth related.  What is his behavior like when he wakes? Is he inconsolable for that hour or does he just have a hard time falling back asleep and crying on and off? Have you tried giving Motrin (not Tylenol) before bed and seeing if that makes a difference or not? Is the waking occurring at the same time? How much daytime sleep is he getting? 

Those top teeth were rough for us as well but the fact that it has been such a long time going on would make me look at other possible issues.  It isn't unlikely that LO might be working on them for weeks but it usually happens in spurts (a few bad nights, then fine for a week, then another bad night or two etc.) If LO is consistently waking every night something else might be going on.  

Giving the Motrin might also help indicate if this is a tooth issue.  If you are already giving it does the wake up occur after the dose wears off? 
  • My lo used to have night wakes around 9 m 8 m I think the wonder weeks app said it was normal. They are starting to have dreams and can be scared. Also there is a regression from learning to crawl and walk around now. I'd give motrin at bed time it last longer as a way to rule out pain related waking and go from there
  • I think this sleep regression is way worse than the 4 month one because you have teething, separation anxiety, night mares, and development leaps all rolled into one. She started at 7 months, was a great sleeper before that and now at 10 months is finally starting to get better. But it's been brutal. I have noticed though that she sleeps and eats better with more physical activity during the day, so I make sure to give her practice walking around the house and yard holding onto my fingers, time on her knees as opposed to sitting and her occupation therapist is having us work on crawling up stairs with her. 
  • BabyBugutskyBabyBugutsky member
    edited June 2016
    ElleMF728 said:
    Weeks seems like a long time to be tooth related.  What is his behavior like when he wakes? Is he inconsolable for that hour or does he just have a hard time falling back asleep and crying on and off? Have you tried giving Motrin (not Tylenol) before bed and seeing if that makes a difference or not? Is the waking occurring at the same time? How much daytime sleep is he getting? 

Those top teeth were rough for us as well but the fact that it has been such a long time going on would make me look at other possible issues.  It isn't unlikely that LO might be working on them for weeks but it usually happens in spurts (a few bad nights, then fine for a week, then another bad night or two etc.) If LO is consistently waking every night something else might be going on.  

Giving the Motrin might also help indicate if this is a tooth issue.  If you are already giving it does the wake up occur after the dose wears off? 
    He wakes up between 1 and 2 every night. Sometimes he falls right back to sleep, others he's awake for up to an hour crying. He doesn't like being alone so I know when he's just crying because he's upset he's alone. I haven't tried motion but we tried Camilla last night and he still woke up. I don't have motrin but I may pick some up. 

Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm so exhausted I'm getting migraines daily and I feel like I'm not the best mom right now. 

• Co sleeping has been helping here too but I don't sleep. I stay awake because I really don't like him in bed with us. My hubby rolls around alot and it makes me nervous. Luckily our king bed leaves enough room but I still worry. 
  • tvistetviste member
    My daughter wakes up around 2 every morning. She usually just needs a cuddle and goes back to sleep. Sometimes I nurse her because I know she will fall asleep again right away (I know it is a bad habit, but I like to sleep). 
    I found a heartbeat white noise machine and turn that on every night before my daughter goes to bed and that seems to help with her loneliness. 
  • Pick up some Motrin and give a dose at bedtime tonight, see if it helps any.

Is LO on 2 or 3 naps? Split nights usually occur when baby is not having enough wake time in a 24 hour period.  DS2 started having them around 8 or 9 month until we moved to his new schedule.  
  • @ElleMF728 he's only having one nap a day. It's only max two hours long. Then I keep him awake and busy all day. Well he keeps me awake and busy all day haha. 
  • We just tried something new with her white noise and I'm kicking myself for not doing it sooner because lo just put herself back to sleep after 1 squawk. Lo loves the sound of the kitchen faucet so way back when, we made a recording of it and put it onto her I-pod and have been using it as her white noise for sleeping. So anyways, my husband re-recorded the kitchen faucet running, but this time he also made shushing noises during the recording. I think what's happening is that she starts to wake up, hears the shushing and thinks we are in the room with her and then promptly falls back asleep before she's awake enough to start fussing and crying.