June 2016 Moms
Options

Getting back to work

My baby was born May 21 and I have to go back to work now. I was supposed to start today and had a bit of a breakdown. Suffice to say I didn't go. This is my first baby, my dream come true, my miracle baby and I just want to be at home with her. Have you gone back to work yet? How do you mentally and emotionally prepare yourself for leaving your baby? My family requires that I work at least for a few months and I have no choice but to start as soon as possible. 

Re: Getting back to work

• Options
    I'm sorry you're having a hard time.  I'm not in the same boat but maybe this is a bite the bullet and just jump in kinda thing.  If I had to go back to work I feel like I would have such a hard time as well and I'd never wanna leave no matter how much time I had at home.  Maybe start by doing half days if that's possible.  I hope you feel better soon.
  • Options
    I went through that with my first. I went back full time, and cried the entire night before my first day. 
    I was able to work out with my boss to work from home one day a week, and my husband and I worked out drop off and pick up times so that he had less time at childcare. 

It's ok to feel sad, but know that it's also ok you have to go to work. I only worked FT for about 3-4 months before transitioning to working from home PT for a different job. It was hard, but it really was ok. Let yourself feel sad, but know you have the strength to to it. Big hugs!! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks so much ladies! 
  • Options
    xc1148xc1148 member
    It's so hard! I felt fine my first day, the second day I cried the entire drive in, all morning, and went home at 10am lol. I never went back to my pre-baby schedule. I would honestly look at all of your options, and try to figure something else out. I don't think people should suffer if they want to be at home with their kids. A lot of the women I work with came back from maternity leave early and were really honest about how they just didn't want to be at home. Every person is different.

Tomorrow might be better, so hang in there. But don't feel bad if you want something different...a baby changes things!
    TTC since June 2011
    DH: perfect SA
    Me: 30, moderate endo, unexplained infertility
    IUI or IVF in December

• Options
    I haven't "gone" back to work but one of my jobs I am a contract worker and work from home. Had baby Friday evening and went back to working for that job the following Monday. I have also gone in to my normal job twice to check in. Once the Monday after birth and once yesterday. I plan on going in a couple more times before I have to go back to keep getting adjusted and to stay connected to the job. I've also made plans to only start back part time, even though it will be a financial hit. Doing the best I can to ease back in to it so the whole family can adjust.