January 2016 Moms

Early Hand Preference?

I know it's way too early to determine whether our babies are right or left handed. However, I've noticed that my LO strongly prefers his left hand. He plays with toys with his left hand and only sucks his left thumb. I should also mention that he is 4.5 months and his pediatrician isn't concerned since he still reaches for things with his right hand, but he always ends up switching things to his left! I think it's hilarious. Has anyone else noticed if their LO has a strong preference for one hand?

Re: Early Hand Preference?

• My daughter definitely prefers her left hand. It's stronger by far, and she has a lot more control with it, too. Her right one still kind of flails quite a bit.
  • Yep, my DD has always favored her left hand also, since she first started using them!
  • Loading the player...
  • I don't see it so much with my daughter, but my son, right from the beginning was a lefty. He's the only one in the family! At 18 months, there is no doubt, he's left-handed, even kicks with his left foot! 
  • My baby likes the left too.  The OT we saw said her preference for the left side may have something to do with hie she was positioned in the womb (I didn't ask if this would mean she would be a lefty).