December 2016 Moms
Options

HG Check in - 5.31

Alright. There are at least a couple of us here with hyperemesis gravidarum.

1- How far along are you?
2- When did things start going downhill?
3- What do your symptoms look like?
4- Have you had it before? If so, when did it end?
5- What is helping you? What's not helping?
6- GTKY: What brightens your day?

Pregnancy Ticker
Mother of an April '15 baby
Due December 16

Re: HG Check in - 5.31

• Options
    11+4

5+3

Constant nausea, food aversions to almost everything, puking - often morning, midday, and evening. I can usually get a good amount of fluid/food in mid-morning and mid-afternoon. My heart beats so heavy too that my teeth are throbbing and fatigue is unreal this time. Increased salivation, increased hearing, increased sense of smells. Weight loss (approaching 10% but I think a lot of it is my muscle is turning to fat as I lay around for weeks)

I had it my other pregnancy and it was 22 weeks when I started pulling out of it. By 24 weeks I was much better.

Rest. Tons of freaking rest. hard boiled eggs and string cheese. Ice water at the right times. More rest. Listening to classical music in ear buds (all of my senses get overwhelmed and that helps calm things down sometimes). Having alone time. Vix vapor rub up my nose. cough drops. Pedialyte.

Meds don't help me. Last time getting moving actually improved things for a little bit, this time it makes it way worse. I can't go in grocery stores, I just start puking.

6- GTKY: What brightens your day? At the end of the day, DH sets DS loose out of the bath to run around naked and he is so cute and funny. He loves it. Also listening to DH read to DS is so cute. Other than that... my days are pretty miserable at the moment
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Due December 16
  • Options
    Also, having DH read this - https://www.helpher.org/downloads/survival-guide.pdf
    helped him not take my need for distance personally and helped understand that it's not just that his wife is terrible at pregnancy... it's a thing...

Pregnancy Ticker
    Due December 16
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Due December 16
  • Options
    1. How far along are you? 13w 3d

2. When did things start going downhill? 6w

3. What do you symptoms look like? Once I got going, I would throw up for about 24 hrs, no food, no water. Besides that, if I get out of bed at all I start gagging, dry heaving and burping which leads to vomiting if it goes on too long. Most of the time, nothing tasted good, not even water. 

4. Have you had it before?  Nope, first time mom. So lucky! D:

5. What is helping? What is not helping? 
    IVS 3x a week and zofran 3x a day have stabilized me. At this point, I only throw up every now and then, though I still can't really get out of bed for more than going to the bathroom or a quick shower. I've been having better mornings for longer stretches, and have been able to eat a few things in the am pretty consistently. I still feel horrible every night starting around 6 and go to sleep by 8. My foods are string cheese, plain flour toritillas, pb&j, bagels w cream chese, and yogurt. If I'm having a good morning I can keep down scrambled eggs. I've also kept taking unisom to help me fall alseep at night.

Car rides murder me. If I lay on my left side at all I feel immediately sick. Out of bed at all starts the dry heaving and sweats and shakes. Sitting up too long is hard, even in bed. And 5 pm always makes it worse. Hehe.

6. GTKY. What brightens your day? 

My husband! He brings me yogurt and bagels every morning and packs me a cooler for the day before he leaves for work. He bought me Battleship yesterday. Haha! He's been so great about everything and brings me anything I need anytime. Even cold washcloths for my forehead at night. And he watches Bob Ross' Joy of Painting with me when I feel really crappy and I'm trying to fall alseep. I have two cats, too, and they've been keeping me company all day. And I love hearing the birds out my window. :)
  • Options
    @slartybartfast 24 weeks! Ugh. I hope things get better sooner this time around. Sorry you're feeling so crappy. :(

The IVs really turned things around for me. Luckily our hospital has an infusion unit so I don't have to do ER visits. The obgyn just put in an order for up to 3x a week.

Sometimes I feel like 3x a week is almost too much...but then I'd rather do the extra IV then back slide.  The all day barf-a-thons make me want to die. After I lost about 4 lbs in two days I got really scared and I'm afraid to be there again.

• Options
    @slartybartfast 24 weeks! Ugh. I hope things get better sooner this time around. Sorry you're feeling so crappy. :(

The IVs really turned things around for me. Luckily our hospital has an infusion unit so I don't have to do ER visits. The obgyn just put in an order for up to 3x a week.

Sometimes I feel like 3x a week is almost too much...but then I'd rather do the extra IV then back slide.  The all day barf-a-thons make me want to die. After I lost about 4 lbs in two days I got really scared and I'm afraid to be there again.

Oh man I feel for you - You definitely have it to a deeper degree than I do. I've been able to keep liquid down as some point every day. However, something in me is so stubborn about it all and wants to pretend it's not happening. I will tell you though I am way less stressed about it than the with my first. I would just sob about the fact that this barfing body seemed like such a hostile place for a little growing fetus. Hang in there - I really hope yours starts to/continues to improve.

And I know last time, as soon as it cleared up and I recovered, I could barely even remember what I'd gone through (remembering vividly now though). It really is temporary even though the hours are just dragging on right now...
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Due December 16
  • Options

Oh man I feel for you - You definitely have it to a deeper degree than I do. I've been able to keep liquid down as some point every day. However, something in me is so stubborn about it all and wants to pretend it's not happening. I will tell you though I am way less stressed about it than the with my first. I would just sob about the fact that this barfing body seemed like such a hostile place for a little growing fetus. Hang in there - I really hope yours starts to/continues to improve.

And I know last time, as soon as it cleared up and I recovered, I could barely even remember what I'd gone through (remembering vividly now though). It really is temporary even though the hours are just dragging on right now...
    Dragging on is the truth, isn't it? Glad I have so many movies. Now I'm wondering if I can get through them all. Hah!

I was getting really upset until I got my 12 w ultrasound and saw that baby is doing well. Measuring big even. The dr smiled and reminded me that our little parasites get what they need no matter how we feel. 

So emotionally, at least, I've been a lot better this week. Which helps a lot. 

Hang in there too! <3 
  • Options

11 weeks today

Between 4-5 weeks

Vomit, vomit, migraines, vomit.  

Yes, 1st pregnancy in 2012 had it until 30 weeks.

I have taken a smorgasbord of meds, zofran- cannot take as side effect is migraines.  I suffer from chronic migraine so that one made my head explode even more. Phenergan, works okay but makes me so drowsy I pass out within 15 or so after taking it. Diclegis, I take this currently morning noon and night, it has helped me to not wake up out of a dead sleep to barf, but too much movement during the day makes me start to heave, so I move as little as possible and stay confined to my bed or couch (master bedroom and family room are on the same floor luckily.) I also has a reglan pump.  I had to discontinue use, as I had a reaction to the reglan- made me cry hysterically and felt like I would crawl out of my body! Hooray!

My 3 year old sweet baby girl. She tells me, momma I don't want you to be sick anymore ♡

• Options
    @ava.vaudine That sounds horrible.  So sorry you're having such a rough time! I hope things get better sooner this time!
  • Options
    ava.vaudine - hang in there! I don't know about you but I take an enormous amount of comfort in the fact that DS will not remember this time (I feel like 3 is still too young to remember, right?). I think a slightly older child (but not old enough to thoroughly understand) may really feel stressed out seeing me in this condition.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Due December 16
  • Options
    @screamingguppy @slartybartfast  I'm trying to hang in there. I am most worried about my job. I have been on short term disability for the past 5-6 weeks.  Unfortunately,  the workplace isn't kind to pregnant women , esp those with complications, it's like this is the way it is and we are just to deal with it.  It is just hard to get it approved =/
  • Options
    13w +1
    Week six

Vomiting  multiple times a day, Intermittent neasua, extreme fatigue, severe food avarsion 

FTM 
    5- What is helping you? What's not helpinog?

I have tried everything natural. Ginger of any kind did not help. Carbonation only makes it worse, sea bands were like a sick joke unisom/b6 forget it, reglan would make it so there would be less coming up. Preggier pop drops tasted good but weren't very effective. Essential oils do help if you are around something that "smells"to you. Saltines only give you something to come up. Snacking all day drinking lots of water not drinking water during meals....this list could go on for days!!   After my er visit they gave me zofran I swear that drug is magic. I do try to not take it everyday, but I have to work and it is the ONLY thing that will even slow the vomiting on the bad days. 

At first nothing. I questioned daily why I was letting myself go through this. I was very sad and depressed (not me at all) I just wanted to be a fat happy preggo lady like everyone else. I felt like I was getting jipped out of this experience. It all changed when I saw the lil nugget for the first time like welp this is real. Now if I'm having a bad day I just tell myself the nugget is doing good even though you are killing momma slowly already. lol
     I still want to punch people that tell me it'll be worth it in the end... I just smile and think to myself I f-ing know that but that doesn't help me right now! 

Best of luck to all the HG mommas!
  • Options
    I have a question  for all the STM out there with HG again. 

This has been terrible for me, I imagine for all of us. With having HG the first time how or why did you decide to have another baby?

I always imagined having more than one, but I can't even picture going through this again. I would love some insight on how you were able to get the courage to try for #2 or more.
  • Options
    13w +1
    Week six

Vomiting  multiple times a day, Intermittent neasua, extreme fatigue, severe food avarsion 

FTM 
    5- What is helping you? What's not helpinog?

I have tried everything natural. Ginger of any kind did not help. Carbonation only makes it worse, sea bands were like a sick joke unisom/b6 forget it, reglan would make it so there would be less coming up. Preggier pop drops tasted good but weren't very effective. Essential oils do help if you are around something that "smells"to you. Saltines only give you something to come up. Snacking all day drinking lots of water not drinking water during meals....this list could go on for days!!   After my er visit they gave me zofran I swear that drug is magic. I do try to not take it everyday, but I have to work and it is the ONLY thing that will even slow the vomiting on the bad days. 

At first nothing. I questioned daily why I was letting myself go through this. I was very sad and depressed (not me at all) I just wanted to be a fat happy preggo lady like everyone else. I felt like I was getting jipped out of this experience. It all changed when I saw the lil nugget for the first time like welp this is real. Now if I'm having a bad day I just tell myself the nugget is doing good even though you are killing momma slowly already. lol
     I still want to punch people that tell me it'll be worth it in the end... I just smile and think to myself I f-ing know that but that doesn't help me right now! 

Best of luck to all the HG mommas!
    I was same way. Getting super depressed and upset, but the 12 w ultrasound really picked up my spirits. FTM here, luckily our plan is one so I won't be facing the question of going at the again, which terrifies me event though I don't want a second. 

I was getting annoyed when nurses kept telling me how I just won't be able to stop myself from having another one. I'll HAVE to do it! And I'm like can I get through this without dying please? Can I do that first maybe?

Hang in there. The zofran has been helping me a lot. If I'm late for a dose I start throwing up again. 

Fingers crossed things start getting better soon for everyone! 
  • Options
    I have a question  for all the STM out there with HG again. 

This has been terrible for me, I imagine for all of us. With having HG the first time how or why did you decide to have another baby?

I always imagined having more than one, but I can't even picture going through this again. I would love some insight on how you were able to get the courage to try for #2 or more.
    Other than insanity haha, I found some comfort in everyone telling me, not every pregnancy is the same.  I've had terrible luck my entire life so not sure why I thought this would be different!  I am also an only child.  I didn't want my daughter to be without a sibling. There was also something amazing about growing a person and pushing her out into the world, without drugs I might add, I know,  wtf is wrong with me!? She is my greatest accomplishment and before her,  I never truly knew my purpose. Sorry to be so sappy haha. There have ben many moments,  with each pregnancy, that I doubted myself and wished I wasnt pregnant, but Im no quitter =)
  • Options
    cgates1992ava.vaudine - I feel insane but was trying to think of long term. DH really wanted one more... I wanted one more... I had some amnesia about how bad it was. I mean I could tell the story about how bad it was but I couldn't relate to it anymore. I knew DH would step up if I was so sick again.... and bottom line was I convinced myself there was a good chance I wouldn't be as sick this time.

I'm so fing stubborn I still don't believe I am as sick. I ate a good sized lunch today and was like.. see. I don't have it. Like one meal means I'm cured. Of course now I'm right back where I was.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Due December 16
  • Options
    TollerToller member
    Oh ladies- this all sounds SO miserable... and it affects so many!! Do they have any idea as to why it gets so bad??
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Haha I keep doing that, too. 

I took a shower without barfing! I must be better. I only half died that car ride, maybe it isn't so bad.

It's weird how even with the diagnosis and support, you still question if you're really *that* sick. All the time. Heh. 
  • Options
    Toller02 said:
    Oh ladies- this all sounds SO miserable... and it affects so many!! Do they have any idea as to why it gets so bad??
    It's just how some bodies react to the hormone flux. I don't react to poison ivy, a lot of people do. Once I ate a piece of mango skin and it made me shit my pants (dress actually). Some people eat it no problem.

Last pregnancy I had a friend that was pregnant at the same time and feeling fine. She wanted to find the cure. It was SO annoying. She was sure it was because I was deficient in something or because I had done xyz or it was due to my celiacs. I know it's because she just wanted me to feel better so badly but it made me want to throat punch her and yell "THIS IS JUST MY LIFE RIGHT NOW"
    ...I'm a little out of sorts this morning. I'm don't usually imagine myself being violent or disclose my incontinence. Except for all the peeing of my pants I'm doing when i barf. I am sitting on pee pants right now in fact. I had a 30 minute puke fest in the car trying to get into work for a mandatory meeting. What can you do?

/ramble
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Due December 16
  • Options
    Omg I just read these and laughed so hard! Thank you ladies! I'm do glad I'm not alone. One day I cried the whole way home from work because I no longer have control of any of my bodily functions. 

I do the same thing oh I only got sick "once" today (with meds) must be I'm better. Or my co-workers will ask if anything has improved and I say yeah I feel so much better because at that moment I'm not dieing even though I've puked my guts out 4 x before leaving the house. Living life by the moment ;)
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Blah. I thought I was doing better,  but I threw up a bunch over the weekend, didn't keep down vitamins and went down 4 lbs since Friday. :(

I go in for fluids today, but I guess it's time to see about adding the vitamin bag to the visit.

14w 1d now. I hope this let's up soon. I'm so worn out.
  • Options
    Hang in there @screamingguppy - I also thought I was doing better and then had an all day barf fest yesterday. I've leveled out my weight though. I definitely had a sob fest this morning to DH about how hard this is and how I feel so weak - physically mentally emotionally. He suggested I go to counseling. I wanted to punch his face. This isn't something I'm trying to work through, it's something I'm trying to survive. Complaining to a stranger is not going to change anything. I know I just need to keep ticking off one day at a time. I will say I do find some relief from crying for whatever reason. Like it's a different avenue for hormones to release. So now I'm feeling a little better lol.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Due December 16
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    I might be overdue for some crying. :)
  • Options
    @slartybartfast My husband suggested counselling to me this morning too! I totally could have punched him too. Can't he just let me cry and feel sorry for myself?! I get that he is feeling helpless watching me sob on the bathroom floor in between vomiting. Let's just say it was a rough weekend :(
  • Options
    I'm late to joining this thread. After my eventful evening on Wednesday (feel free to read about it on this week's WTF Wednesday) I wasn't able to keep anything down for almost 24 hours, which is the worst my MS has been. My doctor sent me to the ER where they gave me a cocktail of meds and a couple of IV bags. They sent me home with relafen, which is "taking the edge off." I've been dry heaving today but nothing has actually coming up. No change in nausea.

Part of me thinks, well at least I haven't been just a little whimp this whole time and there is a reason why I've been so sick this whole time. The other part of me is just trying to keep up with my job and not get sick constantly. My aunt is a doula and helped my sister with her pregnancy last year. When she checked in on me last night she offered up a whole slew of "advice" that really just ended up freaking me out and pissing me off! Apparently my mother had terrible hyperemesis when she was pregnant with me. I guess karma really is a bitch!

1- How far along are you? 11W today

2- When did things start going downhill? 6W1D. I've had 7 or 8 nearly-symptom-free days since.

3- What do your symptoms look like? constant nausea, vomiting multiple times/day, diarrhea, unreal heartburn, dizziness. 

4- Have you had it before? If so, when did it end? Nope, this is my first pregnancy

5- What is helping you? What's not helping? Preggie Pops if I take them before I've thrown up temporarily help, Relafen helps prevent gagging, sips of water, small snack before bed and before I get out of bed in them morning sometimes helps prevent vomiting first thing in the day (I've been doing this my entire pregnancy) -- Stairs are the enemy, anything fatty, spicy or what I would consider delicious is a no-go, sleeping/laying on my right side is out of the question

6- GTKY: What brightens your day? That there will be an end to this! I keep reminding myself that I'm feeling this way because of the life that I'm creating. Which works about 65% of the time. 

Pregnancy Ticker 

• Options
    Guys I my be calling this too early but I think I have to slink out of here... The last two days iveimproved so much. I'm gaining weight back and I'm just feeling so much better comparatively. Last time I did not get. Moment of relief  until 20 weeks when the good days started scattering in with the bad. I may be being dumb but I think I've just had bad ms that "qualified" as hg by metrics but is clearing up on the ms timeline. Good luck! I wish this on everyone! Even if it does only end up being a few days of light reprieve 
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Due December 16
  • Options
    Oh man ladies. Just coming in here to offer support. 
    Thank you so much for posting that link, @slartybartfast -- I definitely cried reading that. It summed up the majority of my pregnancy with DD and much of this pregnancy. My OB wasn't very good at hearing me when I explained just how often I was vomiting when pregnant with DD and it lasted for 8months. This time the vomiting hasn't been as frequent (albeit, it still rears it's head) but, man, that link really got to me. The isolation, the guilt, the constant nausea and discomfort and the feeling that every single waking second revolves around food. What I can eat what I can't eat what I can't even think about eating without gagging and dry heaving. im going to talk to my OB at my next appointment about some of these things.. I have a new practice now with a team of OBs who listen and are wonderful. 
    Anyway, I'm thankful for this thread and for the strength of you ladies. FTMs.... You got this. I swore I would never put my body (or my marriage!) through this again and yet here I am. We are so much stronger than we let ourselves believe ❤️
  • Options
    @ajstevenson I hope you are spelling your medication wrong and you mean Reglan or Phenergan. Relafen is an NSAID and should not be taken in pregnancy.  
  • Options
    Guys I my be calling this too early but I think I have to slink out of here... The last two days iveimproved so much. I'm gaining weight back and I'm just feeling so much better comparatively. Last time I did not get. Moment of relief  until 20 weeks when the good days started scattering in with the bad. I may be being dumb but I think I've just had bad ms that "qualified" as hg by metrics but is clearing up on the ms timeline. Good luck! I wish this on everyone! Even if it does only end up being a few days of light reprieve 
    I hope you're free! Escape, escape! Haha! May we all be so lucky soon!

I got my first vitamin bag on Monday after a bad weekens, which really helped. Still 3x a week on ivs, but I'm having ok streaks here and there. Then bad days still, which always suck. I think things are slowly improving but it's really hard to tell. 

Hope everyone else is moving toward better, too

• Options
    @zubenescamali I had to look it up because the bottle is the generic! Totally freaked me out. I swear at the hospital they told me they were prescribing  relafen but THANK GOD it's the generic for Phenergan.

Pregnancy Ticker 

• Options
    @zubenescamali I had to look it up because the bottle is the generic! Totally freaked me out. I swear at the hospital they told me they were prescribing  relafen but THANK GOD it's the generic for Phenergan.

phew.  sorry to freak you out but the pharmacist in me had to check for peace of mind- you just never know!
  • Options
    Does anyone here have worsened symptoms when your body is getting ready to have a bm? (Sorry tmi!)

Just wondering if this falls under ms or hg.

I have another stupid question: is the main distinction between the two not being able to keep food down for 24 hours?

Thanks ladies. I'm sending you desperate prayers for relief and support. 
    Me: 35 Husband: 40
    TTC #2: Jan 2019
     DS: 2.5 yo 
     EDD: 12/2/16 DOB: 10/22/16
    (Previously MBS2016 Dec 2016 board
    <3         <3 
  • Options
    @MBS2016

I don't get worse when I have to go, but since I'm constipated, going wears me out completely and I end up nauseous afterwards from sitting up while struggling to go. Then I feel like poo (haha...haha...) for awhile once I get back in bed. Blah!

I'm not sure where exactly they draw the line, because it does seem to be different for different women, but if you go 24 hrs without food or especially any water/liquids while vomiting you should call the dr and see if they want you to go in and get some fliuds via an iv. The dr told me that throwing up once or twice a day is normal for morning sickness but more than that can become a concern, especially if you're taking medicine to try and control the symptoms.

I've found that when I get that bad, I can't bounce back on my own, but that's just me!  And this is just my experience as a FTM.

• Options
    edited June 2016
    MBS2016 said:
    Does anyone here have worsened symptoms when your body is getting ready to have a bm? (Sorry tmi!)

Just wondering if this falls under ms or hg.

I have another stupid question: is the main distinction between the two not being able to keep food down for 24 hours?

Thanks ladies. I'm sending you desperate prayers for relief and support. 
    It's definitely a spectrum so it can be hard to know if you're on the lighter end of HG whether or not it's just really bad morning sickness. HG typically is considered throwing up 3+ times a day, difficulty ingesting/keeping food and fluids down to the point of weightloss (>5%) or severe dehydration. The dehydration part is usually the symptom that requires the most immediate attention. For me, last time I was diagnosed was based off of severity of symptoms and weightloss. This time it was barfing and weightloss. However, I've had 5 consecutive days of only barfing once, gaining weight back quickly, and am SIGNIFICANTLY better... like... walking and talking amongst the living kind of better and I'm only 13 weeks so I am undiagnosing myself for now!!! HG generally clears up in some around 20 weeks, others around 30 weeks, and some unlucky souls only after delivery
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Due December 16
  • Options
    How is everyone doing?

I turned a corner last week and I can finally get up and move around and eat real food! 16w 4d. We're down to two ivs a week, hoping to cut back to one then none soon. Still doing zofran and now Zantac instead of tums.

It's such a relief.  For those still struggling, hang in there! <3 I hope everyone feels awesome soon if you don't already! 
  • Options
    @screamingguppy - hoooooooray!!!!
    I'm still doing well too :) I'm really happy that you're able to do a bit more!
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Due December 16