June 2015 Moms
Options

Done with formula/breastmilk?

I have LO's one year checkup on Thursday and I've heard from several people that his pediatrician wants babies completely off the bottle and only drinking whole milk and eating solids. I thought that's why they had stage 2 formula?! Has anyone successful switched their kids to solids without issue already? Some of the mothers in my moms group went cold turkey and I just don't feel comfortable doing that yet. My LO eats quite a bit of solids now but still relies on a bottle before bed and especially in the morning. We are scaling back but I feel like I have this deadline looming.

Re: Done with formula/breastmilk?

• Options
    DD still is on a bottle a lot. eats lots of regular food. and has had the occasional whole milk. but i'm not rushing to change her routine just yet, even though her pediatrician told me the same thing yours did. just do what you feel is right.
    OUR FAMILY is a circle of LOVE!
    TOGETHER we are UNBREAKABLE!
    FAMILY is FOREVER!
    Anniversary
    There's a RAINBOW of HOPE after EVERY STORM!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    And a POT-OF-GOLD at the END of EVERY RAINBOW!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Your thread title asked about breastmilk, too, so I'll offer that I don't plan to wean my kid til he's two or he weans himself. That plan could change, but that's where I stand right now. I don't know if the physical bottle is the issue or what's in it is, I'm a little ignorant. My kid mostly nurses, though we will transition him to some various types of milk for one or two sippy cups during the day, more regularly, over the next couple weeks.

Our pedi is an idiot, but my baby is healthy, so I'm going with a balance of what she says and instinct. I'm a big believer in following medical advice but not when a doctor's "policy"  is inflexible or goes against a mother's instinct. Though if you trust him and have concerns, talk it through.

Good luck! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm not weaning until LO is ready.  He still nurses about 4 times a day with me. My ped did say he wants him off a bottle and drinking a sippy cup, but he's still not great with the sippy cup with water at meals so I'm taking my time. LO eats lots of solids thoughout the day too. 
  • Options
    bwow615bwow615 member
    edited June 2016
    I think we may have a milk allergy or intolerance (or dairy) over here.  Waiting till LO's 1 year check up to talk to his ped about it, until then no dairy.  He will be one on 6/15, and has his 1 year appt on 6/22.  He drinks 2 - 4 oz bottles of breastmilk a day and nurses when he wakes up and before bed.  He is pretty good with a straw cup, so he is drinking a decent amount of water and loves food! I do want to wean from pumping during the day so hopefully we can get to the bottom of this milk reaction he is having.  I am fine nursing morning and night until he is ready to drop those feeds and as long as i continue to produce milk for him.  

Eta, 1 year not 1 month.. We've passed the 1 month mark a long time ago! 
  • Options
    mindaamindaa member
    Same here. LO has gradually been taking more solids and less breastmilk, but I don't really sense he's ready to go cold turkey. We'll be replacing the daytime bottles with a sippy cup of almond milk, but will probably keep morning and night feeds for a little while.

Me-37, DH-38
    Married in 2006, TTC #1 since Jan 2012

Baby Boy born June 1, 2015

He settles her in her home as a happy mother of children, praise the Lord! (Psalms 113:9)
    And the peace of God, which surpasses all understand, will guard your heart and mind in Jesus Christ (Philippians 4:7)

• Options
    Ours eats 7-8 oz of formula every morning and eats tons of solids 3-4x a day and before bed has 6-7 oz so I am struggling with this too since she eats a ton of everything. 
  • Options
    Our little one was being highly resistant to solids at daycare so my husband and I each took a day at home this week to explore foods with her. She was doing great yesterday. We are gradually working milk into her diet and it seems to be going well. She has more energy than ever with these changes and is trying to walk a lot more.
  • Options
    Our little one was being highly resistant to solids at daycare so my husband and I each took a day at home this week to explore foods with her. She was doing great yesterday. We are gradually working milk into her diet and it seems to be going well. She has more energy than ever with these changes and is trying to walk a lot more.
    What a thoughtful approach!
  • Options
    @virginiaunicorn11 We honestly think she just doesn't respond well to the new lady in the morning there. She did great at home this week. A friend of mine works in her room regularly and never has any troubles. They've had a lot of changes due to 2 of the workers leaving on maternity leave so we felt like she might need a few days of full attention at home to refocus.
  • Options
    I personally couldn't wait to get my kids off formula, we do whole milk now and the transition was really easy, I'm slowly starting to try to wean them off the bottles but they don't seem to be ready so that's okay. 
  • Options
    Ezra will be one tomorrow and we've been mixing his formula and whole milk for the past week and now we are starting to give him all whole milk. He drinks the milk in a sippy cup throughout the day but for nap time and bedtime he drinks it in a bottle. (He tends to drink more at once since its in a bottle) he sometimes acts like he doesn't like the milk so we will mix an ounce or two of formula with it when he's acting that way. Other wise he really just eats solids. Breakfast, snack, lunch, (bottle for nap time) snack, then dinner, and a bottle before bed. He gets milk with each meal and water with each snack but doesn't necessarily drink all of the milk with the meals each time. 
  • Options
    Eli started whole milk at 11.5 months. My plan had been to transition to whole milk slowly but I miscalculated how much formula I had left. Cold turkey it was and Eli did great actually. I was also worried bc while he eats everything he didn't eat a lot but his appetite has def picked up once he started whole milk. 
  • Options
    Those that have transitioned to whole milk, how much are your little ones drinking per day? Our pedi just said no more than 24oz but said nothing about a minimum.
  • Options
    mindaamindaa member
    ^^ LOL on the bowl of water :)

We're having similar issues with solids still (1 year last week) - glad we're not alone!
    Me-37, DH-38
    Married in 2006, TTC #1 since Jan 2012

Baby Boy born June 1, 2015

He settles her in her home as a happy mother of children, praise the Lord! (Psalms 113:9)
    And the peace of God, which surpasses all understand, will guard your heart and mind in Jesus Christ (Philippians 4:7)

• Options
    btm013btm013 member
    My LO had a terrible time with solids until about a month ago. He could eat purees but anything too textured he would gag and vomit all over. Then one day he woke up and was interested in everything we were eating. It was so strange!
  • Options
    Hi all, thanks for bringing this up. We transitioned to milk last week, but I am still giving her formula first thing in the morning and last thing at night. But during the day we are trying to stick to milk, water and solids. 

Our pedi said no more than 20 ounces of milk per day, and didn't mention a minimum. But that some babies may only drink 6-8 ounces and that is ok, they won't let themselves starve. I just try to offer liquids a lot and let her self-regulate.

I will say she's had some constipation since starting milk and vitamin d drops - anyone else?
  • Options
    btm013btm013 member
    @HoosOnFirst yes!! our little one gets so constipated since switching to milk and water.
  • Options
    mjschenkmjschenk member
    edited June 2016
    Ok I think it was on this thread pediatrician said to not give cows milk right before they sleep. Because of their teeth if I brush after is that ok? Is there a 5 minute wait or is it more like an hour? 
    I am wanting to cut out his last feed at bed and am curious about the logistics of this.
  • Options
    Make sure you wipe/brush their teeth. It could be right before as long as there isn't any milk left sitting on the teeth overnight. Also,  you probably know since your asking about it but for anyone else, do not give them a bottle to sleep with in their crib. 
  • Options
    @caitlincunn thanks I just realized after I left that he was kinda broad. Figured someone on here would know