January 2016 Moms

Is this normal?

My son will be 6 months on the 25th of this month(June) and still won't roll from back to tummy. I have been the mom who likes to hold him all the time so I'm assuming that's part of why he won't. He will roll halfway there but just won't roll all the way to his tummy and roll back to his back. I was just wondering if any of your are doing the same. 

Re: Is this normal?

• My son turned 5 months last week and still isn't rolling either way! I'll admit I'm not the best at doing tummy time every day. He's meeting all of his other milestones though, so I haven't worried about it!
  • Same here. He is going to be 5 months on Wednesday, and he will roll from side to side, but not completely over.  He tries, and sticks his butt up in the air, but his arm is flat out on the ground behind him so he won't roll with it being like that haha. I try and help him after awhile and cheer once he rolls tummy to back (with my help).  I figured he will get there when he gets there.
  • Loading the player...
  • My girl (20 weeks) rolled belly to back several times one day a month ago. Now....its like it never happened. She hasn't done it since. When shes on her back she will twist her legs over to the side but thats it. 
  • My son will be 6 months on the 26th. 
    Hes done tummy to back 
    but back to tummy he goes half way and then that's it. 
    Every baby develops differently than others, but if you get concerned you can always talk with their pedi
  • Also, coming from a mom who hasn't slept in over a week, there are advantages to not rolling. My LO rolls constantly, but gets herself stuck against the sides of the crib, accidentally throws her paci, etc, and neither of us are resting well. We've resorted to my husband sleeping on the couch, and me cosleeping with her.
  • LO showed no interest in rolling until a couple weeks ago. I wasn't concerned, he's doing great on everything else and not all babies roll until later. However he started doing it at 4.5 months, and just like PP said it can really affect sleep! He's constantly rolling onto his tummy at night and getting stuck and crying out. 

Chances are you have zero reason to worry about not rolling yet, especially if your guy is doing fine in other areas. As long as you're giving him the opportunity to try!
  • Mines 5 months and honestly she showed NO intetest in rolling at all and one day after a nap she was a rolling queen. Back to front. But no front to back yet. so you never know she can wake up from a nap one day and bam, rolling. 
  • I agree with @cali1710, a few weeks ago LO became a master roller out of the blue at nap time one day. That fun lasted about a week and now she doesn't seem interested in rolling anymore.
  • l4rkl4rk member
    LO is 4.5 months and will roll back to front sometimes, but has never rolled front to back on purpose. We do tummy time every day for half an hour or more. I think some babies just can't be bothered. I also read that lots of babies will skip a milestone (rolling, sitting' crawling) and just go straight to the next one. I'm sure your baby is completely normal!
  • My little girl is 25 weeks and still is not rolling from back to tummy. She has absolutely no interest. We put her on her belly all the time and she usually stays for awhile until she's done then she rolls to her back and stays there. She rarely tries. She has reflux and up until a week ago any time we would put her on her belly she would spit up so I figure she doesn't want to be uncomfortable 
  • Agree with pps. Babies grow at different paces. DD was rolling belly to back at 2.5 months, but I'm convinced she only figured that out because she hates tummy time that much. She only recently got the back to belly at 4.5 months. My friend's baby had the back to belly down at 3 months but not belly to back. It happened over night and now she constantly wakes herself up during naps and nighttime because of the rolling. I put her down this morning and she immediately flipped to her tummy face down into the mattress.  I'm very nervous about her sleeping now.
  • https://www.candokiddo.com/news/baby-milestones

I found this website and this particular article to be very informative and reassuring. Is your baby reaching these subtler milestones?

I was worried about my little girl until I read this. Then yesterday I looked down while she was literally at my feet and she was on her front propped up on her forearms. It'll happen!
  • 23 weeks here.  Been rolling belly to back for a long time (big tummy time hater) but NO interest in rolling back to belly ever.  Then she woke up this morning and did it 10 times (has never done it once before).
  • Koen will roll tummy to back, he has sense he was probably two months! He does have reflux though, so maybe that's why he won't roll the other way. I'm not worried about it, was just curious! Thank you all