January 2017 Moms
Options

when does the second trimester really start?

I am currently 12w2d, everytime I read something in a book or the internet its always different about when the second trimester officially starts. Any insight?  

Re: when does the second trimester really start?

• Options
    It really varies depending on which source you are using. But the general consensus is around 13 weeks. By the time you begin your 14th week of pregnancy you're definitely in your second trimester. 
  • Options
    canavaracanavara member
    edited June 2016
    Every time I forget this, I just remember that a pregnancy is 40 weeks and divide by 3. Obviously that comes out to 13.3333333(repeating). It's closer to 13 so you can just round down to the nearest week. Some people include 13 though anyway as 1st trimester probably because part of it technically is in the 1st trimester. Guess it depends on what your answer is to the question of whether the glass is half full or half empty :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I consider the first trimester over if a. I am past 13 weeks b. Morning sickness has slowed significantly. 
  • Options
    I always thought the 12th week was the last week in 1st tri, so 13th week was beginning of 2nd tri. 
    Me: 30 |  DH: 33
    Married: 8/11/2007

DD: Born 2/3/17
    BFP#2: 5/3, EDD 1/10/19
  • Options
    I always thought it was 12 weeks but i remember reading somewhere something like 13w3d. 
    ** Highschool Sweethearts ** 
    Married: February 14, 2009

MC: June 6 2010 @ 18 weeks
    DS: December 19, 2011
    MC: October 2, 2015 @ 14 weeks

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I'm going with 13 weeks.  Once you've hit 13 weeks, you've completed 13 weeks and are about to enter your 14th week of pregnancy.  Although 13w3d makes a lot of sense since that's pretty close to 13.33333333 weeks.
    Pregnancy Ticker