December 2016 Moms

Everything you didn't want to know about pregnancy, birth, and postpartum: STM to FTM advice

Re: Everything you didn't want to know about pregnancy, birth, and postpartum: STM to FTM advice

• I don't know if this question was asked but did any STMs have a natural birth? Thoughts? Comments? Words of Encouragment? 
    I think when we get a little further along we should have a weekly check in for those with non medicated birth as plan A. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Mother of an April '15 baby
    Due December 16
  • @sammyl1221 I had a non medicated birth and fully plan on attempting again. It wasn't my plan, but avoiding a c-section was ( only bc I've never had surgery) and not being on drugs allowed me to do all sorts of things move the baby's position, be in the shower, tub, etc. If I'd taken the drugs it would have been a c-section. 
  • Loading the player...
  • @slartybartfast I also think that's a good idea!
  • @ashleaf2018 I had what most would call a 'traumatic' experience. Emergency CS, my epi wore off as they didn't get the new spinal meds clicked in all the way, H wasn't even in town as I had thought we had more time and sent him to work. I was able to hold baby about 2-3 minutes after he came out. Then they knocked me out to start sticking me back up. I was in recovery by myself, but only for about 30 minutes. Then I was taken to our room. I was immediately pushed to strip to the waist and nurse/skin to skin. We were cleared to leave less than 48 hours after his birth, but I stayed an extra day as he had just had his tongue and lip ties and circ. Don't that morning.

Formerly known as Kate08young
    August '18 Siggy April Showers:

Me: 28 H: 24
    Married: 7/22/14
    Baby L: 8/4/2015  August 2015 Moms
    Baby E: 11/18/2016   December 2016 Moms
    TTC #3 08/2017  BFP 11/27/2017. 
    Twin B lost 11/22/2017, Twin A doing well. 

• I had a mostly non medicated birth. They injectors a small amount of something in my iv but it didn't do anything but make me feel drubk and the room spin. No epi and I don't plan on it this time. 

Let me add that a non medicated birth doesn't make you better at labor that taking the epidural. You're getting a baby no matter which was you give birth. I was lucky to have a quick delivery, but I know friends that were on labor 24-36 hours and I would have taken the epi at that point too to get sleep. 
    November D16  Siggy Challenge-Thanksgiving Fails

Pregnancy Ticker
  • My first was a scheduled c-section. They have you fast before and afterward- so I was quite hungry by the time I got food.

I went to the Hospital, they had me remove my clothes- they cathetered and shaved me- they took me to the room where they put 2 shots on my spinal- one was for numbing- within 10-15 min (I don't remember) I was cold and numb and they started the surgery. Total time was 40 min or so of them doing the surgery and putting me back together. I couldn't hold the baby until they stitched me up and they were done- so hubby did skin to skin with the baby while I waited. I cried as soon as i heard her voice. 

It was a good experience- it was bizarre because we knew when we were getting her and it felt like going to a store in some ways. 

I was in the hospital for 48 hours. Next time I may try to be in the hospital for 3 days, because I think i could have used more time.

Hope that helped. 
  • I'll also be asking my doc what his routine for a scheduled c section is since it seems it can vary greatly based on doctors.
    DD1 5/23/14, DD2 12/5/16   Baby #3 on the way!

• @jenlynne0624 that's a good point with the non medicated birth- my delivery was also quick,and had it been a 12+ hour labor I would have taken the drugs.
  • I went 15 hrs of intense labour before I got the epi. Then I was ready to push as soon as the epi was in. Overall I was very happy with how the birth went so I want to try to go med free as long as possible this time. I would love a check in once we are all further along!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I've thankfully had 4 unmedicated births with minimal medical intervention. The most I routinely have is a post birth shot of pitocin to aid in stopping unneeded blood loss... With each birth I've needed or requested to have my lady parts repaired or a "loop put through" any little tears, as I'm prone to that too, and I've found it helps quicken healing time and lessen pain. 
    Ive had 1 in a MW run birth center, 1 in a hospital and 2 at home... With this 5th planned to be had at home too. I love home and birth center, and would "put up with hospital" if it was needed.
    My no. 1 tip for keeping yourself Med free... Labor in water! It's seriously WONDERFUL! also pick a care provider that has a lot of success (proven stats) at helping their patients have non medicated births! And keep yourself low risk... Eat right, cut out sugar and keep active. Own this bad boy for yourself! Your body, your baby, your birth! 
    Oh, and I'm a huge "sissy" about pain... I don't even like to run, because it's too uncomfortable. 

Due December 27th with baby #7

• Has anyone mentioned stretch marks? Cause, fyi FTMs, they're genetic and no cream on the market can prevent them from showing up. I got them on my hips and thighs :(

Pregnancy Ticker
  • sourlemonsourlemon member
    edited June 2016
    And you can get them anywhere. I got one on my neck......my neck didn't "grow" but the skin got tight from my boobs I guess. At least that's how my doctor rationalized it. And I got 2 on one boob, none on the other.  I got them no where else. Crazy stuff. 

Edit cuz nine should have been none. Stupid phone keyboard!

• sourlemon said:
    And you can get them anywhere. I got one on my neck......my neck didn't "grow" but the skin got tight from my boobs I guess. At least that's how my doctor rationalized it. And I got 2 on one boob, nine on the other.  I got them no where else. Crazy stuff. 
    I have 2-3 on each ankle because I was so swollen at the end. They can also not show up until after LO is born. My friend didn't have any until her 2w pp visit when she flipped out that they had just shown up.

• Please help me de code all the acurnems I'm lost sorry I'm a FTM lol I know that one!
  • Sharkey Sharkey member
    edited June 2016
    My first birth was mostly non-medicated. I got pitocin as I was pushing because my contractions started to get farther apart. I also asked for some IV pain meds, which didn't seem to help me with pain but did cause my water to burst and kickstart pushing. 

I'll echo the pp's advice about water and natural births. The water is a god send and helps with the pain from contractions. I also think it might help your lady bits stretch during delivery. That's my own opinion, though. 
  • ash84601 said:
    Please help me de code all the acurnems I'm lost sorry I'm a FTM lol I know that one!
    In the READ ME FIRST thread there is a link to all of the acronyms.

• beff12beff12 member
    edited June 2016
    Have we talked about the linea nigra? It's the dark line that shows up under your belly button. I think mine is starting to reappear. I was shocked at how long it stuck around after DD was born! It took months to fade away. DH noticed it the other day and I wasn't altogether sure that it was a new one...I thought it had just never left :joy:

June Siggy Challenge: Dad Fails

Married 7.28.2012
    DD born 7.27.2014
    BFP 09.2015 - m/c 10.21.2015
    BFP 4.12.2016...EDD: Christmas Eve 2016!

• Hospital stays, how long after delivery did you stay in the hospital and did you think that was too long/short/etc?  My insurance covers 48 hours for a healthy delivery with no complications, but I was told my hospital tries to push you out at 24 hours.  What does everyone think?
  • Mamax2Mamax2 member
    @BenNSarah, my insurance covers 48 hrs for vaginal delivery, 72 hours for cesarean. Since I had a c-section, I was in there the full 72 hours afterwards, plus the 24 hours prior to be induced. The amount of time afterwards was perfect in my opinion. I didn't feel like I was being rushed out, but I felt comfortable and ready to go home. This was almost 6 yrs ago.
  • My hospital you stay for 24 hours after a vaginal delivery without complications, but I had both my kids in the evening so I spent the first night after I had them, a full day, then left in the morning/ afternoon of the third day. The hospital also allows for 48 hours for a c section. I would love to go home earlier, but there was a lot to get done on the second day, hearing test, bloodwork, pictures, circumcision  (if wanted) also the second night is the roughest nights you will have with your baby, they just realized they were born and will cry everyone you put them down. So it was nice to have the nurse come in and bring me some crackers or juice. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • BenNSarah said:
    Hospital stays, how long after delivery did you stay in the hospital and did you think that was too long/short/etc?  My insurance covers 48 hours for a healthy delivery with no complications, but I was told my hospital tries to push you out at 24 hours.  What does everyone think?
    @BenNSarah - don't stress over this.  If there's an indicator anyone is less than 100% ready to go home they will keep you and your insurance will pay for it.  I stayed for 5 days due to severe medical complications.  No question on whether they would pay.  If there's a reason, it will be noted, coded and non contested.  If you're all healthy, you'll likely want to go home.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker     

• I was in for 48 hours after a normal healthy vaginal delivery. I feel like I could have left sooner, but they wanted me to stay especially cause little man was circed and on the third day the pedi came in to do evals- hearing, check ups, weight checks, etc. This may be a hot button topic, but I also had the nurses take him into the nursery at night so DH and I could sleep. It was so necessary to get that sleep because all of the family and stuff coming in to visit and the paper work to fill out got overwhelming and getting a few good hours of sleep was mandatory. They brought him to me to nurse whenever he was hungry though.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • beff12beff12 member
    edited June 2016
    We got to the hospital right before midnight on a Saturday night, DD was born at 4:00 am on Sunday morning and we left Tuesday in the late morning. There was something weird about when we could leave since we got there before midnight but I don't remember the details now. I was ready to leave, but I think we were there was the perfect length of time. 

Like @jenlynne0624 said, DD spent some time in the nursery each night. I was beyond exhausted that Sunday night because I had been awake for 48 hours. I desperately needed sleep and jumped at the chance to get a few hours sans baby! 

June Siggy Challenge: Dad Fails

Married 7.28.2012
    DD born 7.27.2014
    BFP 09.2015 - m/c 10.21.2015
    BFP 4.12.2016...EDD: Christmas Eve 2016!

• I stayed 48 hours last time because they were monitoring DS bilirubin count. I didn't want to leave... No responsibility... Food delivered to my bed... I'd have stayed longer if I could have!!!
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Due December 16
  • Thank you! I'm 10w5d and it's still going strong. I'm hoping it subsides with my 2nd tri.
    13 weeks and still in the same boat as you...:-\
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Anniversary
    Visit The Nest 
    Fur Baby Momma 4/2/2010
  • Thank you! I'm 10w5d and it's still going strong. I'm hoping it subsides with my 2nd tri.
    13 weeks and still in the same boat as you...:-\
    @littlebidie28 every morning just sucks. It takes me about 2 1/2 hours to get ready because 1) I cannot move any faster than a sloth or I'll puke and 2) every single smell seems to be heightened in the morning, so I'm constantly gagging. Does anyone else have that problem still?

Pregnancy Ticker 

• I'm 15+6w and MS is just as bad as it ever was. Not even the Diclegis my OB gave me is helping. 
  • Any STM+ moms who have thoughts on having a birth plan vs not having a birth plan and what was important vs not important to have thought about in advance?
  • Any STM+ moms who have thoughts on having a birth plan vs not having a birth plan and what was important vs not important to have thought about in advance?
    Ask what your Dr recommends. The doctor I had the first time was terrible and basically wouldn't even read my plan. By the time I found out it was too late to switch drs. So ask early. 

I think having at least a few ideas thought out is important but know it can all change. I certainly did not plan on having a multi day labor and emergency c section. So m th belief is as long as you are ok with or open to the idea your plan might get thrown out, it's not bad to have one.

• edited June 2016
    Any STM+ moms who have thoughts on having a birth plan vs not having a birth plan and what was important vs not important to have thought about in advance?
    Definitely have one. Going through the process of all the options and what feels right for plan A to YOU is really important. So just making one is a really good thing and gets you and your partner (if that applies) on the same page. Discuss it with your care provider beforehand for sure. And know which parts may need to be flexible based on how things go.

For the use of care providers, simpler is much better. But for you and your SO and going through the process, that doesn't really matter so you can start with something super complete, or pretty simple... but I would just advise that whatever you share should be simple.

I think it's really important for mothers to be informed of the different options and the pros and cons. I think the idea of labor and birth is overwhelming to some (because it's complicated and crazy) and they sometimes react by saying "well I trust my doc and my hospital to get this baby out healthy." Fair enough but you are going through the labor. You are delivering. You are the key player... so you should definitely know.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Due December 16
  • @penelope4612 I agree with definitely having one. During labor having my midwife know my goals/preferences really helped her talk me through some mentally difficult times and helped her advocate for trying different things that moved towards what those preferences were.
  • One of my friends had a "birth plan board," it was all visual and on a bulletin/poster-type board. That might be more helpful than typing up a dissertation, I think that's what we plan on doing anyways.
  • @penelope4612 I think whether you actually write one down/turn it in or not you should at least do you research. However - if you do write one do not live or die by it. Anything can happen and there is no use beating yourself up emotionally because something didn't go perfectly according to plan.

Example: My friend and I were due within 3 days of each other. She is very crunchy and had a set way her birth was to happen, while I was pretty much like save me and the kid and we can try again later. 
    We both ended up with Pre-E and inductions. I had an emergency C due to L having pooped. She delivered vaginally, but since she had to be induced she hates,m abhors, loathes the thought of having another child because it didn't go to her plan. She went from being a 'the bigger the better' to a 'one and done' person because of something so small in the grand scheme of things.

• BenNSarah said:
    Hospital stays, how long after delivery did you stay in the hospital and did you think that was too long/short/etc?  My insurance covers 48 hours for a healthy delivery with no complications, but I was told my hospital tries to push you out at 24 hours.  What does everyone think?
    Depending on how things go and how your little one is you might feel like going home sooner. Personally, my hospital birth was great, but it was the after care and constant interruptions and nurses waking me to check my BP at night and people take my order, male orderlys coming in to mop and nurses wanting to take my baby to the nursery that I hated! I arrived at 6 pm and left at 2 pm the next day... Would not sleep another night there! Ones own bed is best... Just remember if you do go home early to keep resting and don't be tempted to over do it! 

Due December 27th with baby #7

• Has anyone had any experience with a gentle c-section? Or know more about it? Now that I'm going to be in the hospital I want to research everything, and I came across a video of a gentle c-section. It wasn't an emergency surgery, but I thought it was pretty cool how the gentle way helped the mom feel included in the birth. 
  • @dmontgo I have no idea what a gentle c section is, but I am wondering why you are now going to be in a hospital? Did I miss something somewhere, or am I thinking of the wrong person?

• @Kate08Young My blood pressure is potentially an issue and will need to be monitored--may have to go on medicine next OB appointment.

My midwife, when she measured my BP, flipped out and said awful things that were very upsetting, so I will not be returning to her. I'm disappointed but I'd rather be in the hospital in case something goes wrong than ignore it and my BP leads to preeclampsia. 
  • @dmontgo advice I was given was to watch salt intake -added or not, drink a boat load of water everyday, cut down on empty carbs, and pay attention to rapid swelling at my joints. Pre E sucks, but if you are paying attention and you doc is not an idiot you can do a great deal to lower your risks. Just know that it is not always preventable.

• @Kate08Young Thank you for the tips! @DiFazette gave me a lot of great questions to ask my OB to make sure we are proactive and not reactive, and they have been helpful. Got my gears turning.

It was mostly just a shock because I've never had BP issues, but I was reading that it potentially caused by an immunological response to the placenta? Craziness.
  • @dmontgo I'm glad you are armed with questions. Way to be PROACTIVE!! Pre e is an interesting thing(disease/sickness?) it affects some, not all, not even every pregnancy for each woman. Try not to panic if things start to get worse. And make damn sure you keep your doc paying attention. Mine never should have progressed so far, but 'you don't have any protein in your urine'. No but I the rapid edema-type swelling and gained 20lbs in 2 weeks when I had been losing 2-3 per week before that. Sorry for the mini rant, but you can stay in control and keep from having unneeded interventions as long as you advocate for yourself.