Baby Names
Options

Which name is less wierd?

edited June 2016 in Baby Names
The hubby and me cant seem to agree on which name seems weirder put with Galadriel. So which name sounds better to you?
OUR FAMILY is a circle of LOVE!
TOGETHER we are UNBREAKABLE!
FAMILY is FOREVER!
Anniversary
There's a RAINBOW of HOPE after EVERY STORM!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
And a POT-OF-GOLD at the END of EVERY RAINBOW!

Which name is less wierd? 109 votes

Madison Galadriel
44% 48 votes
Luna Galadriel
48% 53 votes
Galadriel Grace
7% 8 votes

Re: Which name is less wierd?

• Options
    Can't like PP's post enough. Galadriel is out there, enough so that I'd certainly MN it... Madison is a name that I loathe and that is masculine, so I went with Luna. But Luna Galadriel is very very cosplay-esque. I think the MN Galadriel needs something traditionally feminine like Catherine or Elizabeth. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Honestly, I can't vote on any of these names.

I think Galadriel is too out there for a first name and I don't like it paired with the other names.

Big Bro 7/14/13
    Little Bro 2/6/17

Pregnancy Ticker   
  • Options
    I have literally never heard of that and thought it was your last name. Dislike.
  • Options
    Galadriel Grace flows the best, if you don't mind the alliteration. If you DO mind, consider other one syllable middle names. Good luck, mama! 
  • Options
    I like the flow of Galadriel Grace, but that is a tough first name. My second choice from your list would be Luna Galadriel. Since Galadriel is "mighty and fair" and "lady of light" perhaps a name that means "fair" or "light" would be a good pairing or substitute with significance. 
  • Options
    I like the flow of Galadriel Grace, but that is a tough first name. My second choice from your list would be Luna Galadriel. Since Galadriel is "mighty and fair" and "lady of light" perhaps a name that means "fair" or "light" would be a good pairing or substitute with significance. 
    Good suggestion!

Claire Galadriel 
  • Options
    Galadriel sounds pretty ridiculous no matter where you put it. For a minute I also thought it was your last name. I would avoid using it at all but MN if you have to use it.
  • Options
    I voted for Luna since it's the only first name I like. The others are way not my style. Madison isn't weird because it's common but, man, is it unfeminine and time stamped.
  • Options
    Sugargirl1019Sugargirl1019 member
    edited June 2016
    I vote Catherine Galadriel, if you have to use that name.

Me: 27 years old            DH: 27 years old
    Type 1 Diabetes since 2001, MTHFR hetero A1298T
    Dogs: Raider 4 yrs, Dex 4 yrs
    Married in July 2014
    TTC #1 since late Feb 2016
    BFP #1 3/29/16     MMC: 5/5/16
    BFP #2 7/6/16    SCH, D&C 8/4/16
    BFP #3 12/26/16     EDD: 9/6/17
    My Chart / My Diabetes/Pregnancy Blog
    My Type 1/TTC/Pregnancy Podcast: 
    Juicebox Podcast Episode 118
    A1Cs:
    1/12/16 6.7%
    5/25/16 6.0%
    11/2/16 6.1%
    3/22/16 5.8%
    4/27/17 5.4%
    6/13/17 5.3%

"Sugar Fancy Tutu"
  • Options
    I voted Luna. It's different/unexpected but won't ever have pronunciation/spelling problems. Madison is overdone.
  • Options
    Can't like PP's post enough. Galadriel is out there, enough so that I'd certainly MN it... Madison is a name that I loathe and that is masculine, so I went with Luna. But Luna Galadriel is very very cosplay-esque. I think the MN Galadriel needs something traditionally feminine like Catherine or Elizabeth. 
    This. Madison with Galadriel is not good. It doesn't flow well, it looks bad in print, it's unwieldy. But Luna with Galadriel is really hippy / fantasy feeling. It's not bad, per se, but I feel like it typecasts your daughter a bit. 

I like the fantasy fiction nod with Galadriel. We named our son using names from classic fantasy fiction, also. But I think Galadriel could use something a little more 'real world' to anchor it down. 

• Options
    I love LOTR but Galadriel would be a tough first name. I like PP's suggestion of Catherine Galadriel though, that sounds nice. I like Luna on it's own, but not with Galadriel. 
    Me: 29, DH: 32
    Married: July 22, 2008
    Fur babies: Phoenix and Yeti (both cats). 
    TTC#1 since: May 2015
    September 2016- Infertility Testing
    dx: Low Progesterone, Vitamin D Deficiency, Borderline PCOS
    Treatment: 
    October 2016-January 2017- Metformin, Clomid/Letrozole, hcg trigger, progesterone
    IUI- 2/17/2017 BFP 3/2/2017! 

• Options
    I think if you're going to use Galadriel you have to go all in and pair it with Luna.  Madison and Galadriel clash so bad. Grace is ok but I don't like the alliteration.  That's just me though.

Me 28 DH 28 Married 2012

TTC #1 since March 2015

Metformin + Femara + Gonal F + Trigger = BFP 6/24/16 

EDD 3/3/17

Found out it's a girl! 9/23/16

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I have to say I agree with not favoring it for a first name... But really ladies? You've never heard that name? Has no one seen Lord of the Rings?

Nope, I have not.
  • Options
    I think Galadriel Grace actually sounds the best, but then you're dealing with a pretty out-there first name. Not necessarily a terrible thing, but probably one that will always make people look at her/you funny. And I feel that it's just really long for a MN. 

I'm assuming you've already considered other female LOTR names like Arwen and Eowyn (my sister actually did go to HS with one of each)? I think those would be much easier to get to flow if you're set on sticking with the theme. 

BFP #1 10/30/15 MMC found 11/30/15 D&C 12/11/15 EDD 7/9/16
    BFP #2  3/21/16    Nora Mae born 12/6/16
    BFP #3 11/27/20    EDD 8/6/21
    healing comes in waves, and maybe today the wave hits the rocks and that’s ok, that’s ok, darling. you are still healing, you are still healing- Ijeoma Umebinyuo, be gentle with yourself

• Options
    You are naming your kid after LOTR?  That's even worse than the To Kill a Mockingbird trend. I'm sorry, but some day your kid is going to grow up and apply for a job, go out on a first date, and function in the world, and they'll have this weird name just because you liked a book/movie. The name in a vacuum is unattractive, and not being a fan of the movie, I have no other positive association. Big thumbs down. 

• Options
    ok, the name Galadriel both me and DH love. Its not cause we like the LOTR movies, which we do. But we like pairing an interesting uncommon name with a common boring name, that way the child can choose which name they prefer to be called (stand out/fit in). Although when I asked about the name, I didn't think too many people would like it, but I didn't expect anyone to outright bash our choice cause the name is a bit different. I am open the nice suggestions to put with it though.
    OUR FAMILY is a circle of LOVE!
    TOGETHER we are UNBREAKABLE!
    FAMILY is FOREVER!
    Anniversary
    There's a RAINBOW of HOPE after EVERY STORM!
    And a POT-OF-GOLD at the END of EVERY RAINBOW!