December 2016 Moms
Options

Nursing mama check in 6.20

How are we doing, ladies?
November D16  Siggy Challenge-Thanksgiving Fails

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Nursing mama check in 6.20

• Options
    My son will be two this week and is still nursing. However, I'm pretty sure I'm starting to dry up and it makes me really sad. He still nurses and tells me there's milk coming out, but there can't be much anymore. I squeeze them and I cant' squirt anymore, which sounds weird to anyone who hasn't nursed, but I'm a little upset about it. He's not a big fan of cow milk- like won't drink a sippy cup with it in there, so what other milks have you  mamas had good luck with giving to your toddlers?

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I'm right there with you, Jenlynn0624.  My daughter just turned two last month and up until about a month and a half ago I was still nursing her before and after naps and 3-4 time a night.  Now my milk is virtually gone and we're only down to one, maybe two sessions period (once before bed and once in the middle of the night).  I have to say though that I'm a little greatful that this is all happening naturally.  I didn't want to be nursing two children at once, and didn't want to feel like I was rejecting her by weaning her on my own.  So I'm happy that my supply is drying up in some ways and in other ways it's so bitter sweet.  Although physically I feel done nursing my first, emotionally I'm not sure I'm ready.  I cry on a regular basis thinking of losing this connection, and such a sweet time in our relationship together.  Once she's fully weaned that'll be it, no going back, and never getting that time with her again.  Still trying to come to grips that soon our nursing relationship will be over, but trying to look at the positives that she is now virtually sleeping though the night with little to no work on my part,  all thanks to my supply drying up.   
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @DoodleDara you hit the nail on the head. Physically I'm glad to have my body back for a bit before the next one and that it's happening naturally, but I am so, so sad of losing this connection with him. It's been a huge part of our lives for two years and I am tearing up while typing this. It's one of the last "baby" things that I have left with him and I'm not ready for him to be a big boy yet. He still asks for milks throughout the day but I know he's doing it for comfort and not nourishment at this point. I'm not sure I'm ready to let it all go yet since his major nursing session is when he gets up in the morning to come in and snuggle/nurse in my bed until he's ready to get up for the day.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I TOTALLY understand.  My daughter sill asks for it regularly, although she's asking for it less and less with time. But I know it's such a comfort to her and I just feel awful taking that away from her, but I know it's for the best, although it kills me to say.  I honestly never thought I'd have such an attachment to our nursing relationship, and pre-baby it just seemed unnatural altogether, although it was always my intention to nurse.  I had the hardest time thinking of having a baby attached to something that was so overly sexualized in our society on a regular basis and "enjoying it" without feeling weird.  And it just happened--at the flick of a switch, once she was born, it felt like the most natural thing in the world.  It's just one of those things I guess that I'll have to let go of as she gets older, but it's so sad and hard.  Harder for us than I think it is for them, at times.  So commiseration, sister.  
  • Options
    @jenlynne0624 I think he should be okay even without cows milk if he won't take it. You could try soy milk, almond milk, or similar. I know lots of babies just get the good stuff through yogurt, cheese, and that type of thing. Hugs ❤️
  • Options
    @sbarrettphoto thanks mama. He eats plenty of yogurt and cheese- they're two of the consistent things this child Actually consumes. 

How are you feeling?

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    My DD turns one on Wednesday, and no signs of slowing. Since about 6 months she's had a 5 oz formula bottle before bed. Going to slowly add cows milk to the mix, then start tweaking the routine. Want to switch from bottle to 360 cup, and stop giving just before bed so we can establish good teeth brushing habits. 

After I was told to quit nursing by 20 weeks (by one MD at my first prenatal visit this time around), I did a little research and decided not to. Or rather, to stop when DD and I feel it's right. I was never one to set goals when it came to breast feeding. But getting to the one year mark feels great!
  • Options
    @Lexibizzel Congrats on hitting the 1 year mark! That's awesome. Way to go, mama!

Pregnancy Ticker