1st Trimester
Options

Announcing to mil

Hello everyone. 
I am 10 weeks today and I need ideas on how to announce our pregnancy to my mother in law. Bit of background. We were pregnant before and she made a huge deal and made it miserable. We miscarried that baby and were devastated but her take on the whole thing was terrible it had to be all about her. Anyways I've been putting this off for as long as possible. Her birthday is the 9th and she should probably know before we go see her (im starting to show). I want to just text her but hubby says no. We cant tell her on her birthday because we would be "stealing the thunder". Anyone have cute announcement ideas that are quick and easy, not to difficult but so I dont get in trouble for not telling her. Sorry long story......

Re: Announcing to mil

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    If your DH isn't okay with just texting, it sounds like a whole lot of his problem. Tell him to come up with a way to tell her and make him carry it out, if she's been that much of an issue in the past, she's not worth the effort of a cutesy announcement of you're not feeling it. 
    All of this. My H told his mother over the phone. I wasn't even present for the conversation so I didn't have to deal with her. 

Me: 32 & DH: 37
    Married: November 2014
    TTC #1 Since: October 2015
    BFP #1: 11/18/15 - CP
    BFP #2: 2/8/16 - EDD 10/20/16
    IT'S A BOY!!!!
    DS Born 10/16/16

• Options
    Due to your history with this woman, I'd wait until you both feel comfortable.  I hate that she was unkind during your loss, that's unfortunate. Is she the kind that would ask if you're pregnant or wait until you tell? If this were my MIL I'd want DH to tell her so I didn't have to hear her reaction, because it could be unkind.
    background of: TTC, infertiltiy
  • Options
    I don't know if she would ask. I think it would be brought up but I don't know if it would be a strait up "are you pregnant?" The other problem is you can never catch get on the phone. It has to be a hugely planned thing. If I never had to tell her I wouldn't.....
  • Options
    Since it's your MIL, I'd suggest having your DH come up with a way to tell her. I'm not sure why this is on you to have to break the news or come up with a creative way of announcing, especially knowing how she reacted the last time. Right now you're probably just bloated so I would hope she wouldn't comment on that and assume you're pregnant the next time you see her. I would feel more comfortable waiting until you are out of the first trimester before telling her. Don't feel like just because you might 'show' a little that you have to tell her by her birthday. Good luck and sorry for your previous loss!

Me - 33, DH - 33
    Married - May 2014
    DH - Low Count/Motility/Morph - Varicocele vein x 2 - surgery (8/11) - success!
    BFP - 10/10/15, EDD - 6/20/16 - It's a BOY!
    Baby #1 - 6/29/16 - Lucas Christopher, 10 lbs 3 oz, 22.25 inches
    Baby #2 - TTC May 2017
    BFP - 9/10/17, EDD - 5/26/18 - It's a GIRL! - RCS May 22nd

My Chart

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I don't know if she would ask. I think it would be brought up but I don't know if it would be a strait up "are you pregnant?" The other problem is you can never catch get on the phone. It has to be a hugely planned thing. If I never had to tell her I wouldn't.....
    is she expecting a huge thing?
    background of: TTC, infertiltiy
  • Options
    Then knowing this, I'd leave it up to your DH to break the news to her.  It's his mom and if he doesn't want to text her, then I'd let him find a way to tell her without your involvement.

Big Bro 7/14/13
    Little Bro 2/6/17

Pregnancy Ticker   
  • Options
    Fair enough. She always expects a big thing.