October 2016 Moms

Hospital bag

I don't recall seeing this yet, but im sure someone will set me straight if it has been brought up. 

I'm 23 weeks tomorrow and getting slightly paranoid/ type A planner in me is kicking in. I want to start my hospital bag and getting everything I'll need. My hubs thinks I'm crazy but I've been looking up all the essentials etc. I just like to be prepared. 

Anyone else, or am I nuts? 

Also, mom's who have done this, suggestions on what to pack? What were your essentials? 

Thanks 

Re: Hospital bag

• samkinssamkins member
    edited June 2016
  • Loading the player...
  • In addition to the list above, chargers for phones/computers/cameras. I wanted my own clothes almost immediately because I felt pretty good and didnt want to feel like a patient. I wore gym shorts and tank top in the hospital (nursing tank). I found the lactation people to be angels so anything you might need to get answered about breastfeeding Id bring (pump, etc).
    DS 5/10/13
    New Bundle of Joy- EDD 10/27/16
  • klvklv member
    Bring your boppy if you are going to breast feed. And don't forget lanolin nipple cream. That stuff is like crack for your nipples
  • You're not nuts - I started pinning what goes into the hospital bag before I got my BFP lol
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Mehh, I haven't even really thought about this... seems like a 3rd tri thing to do. But as a PP mentioned, there are endless lists on Pinterest. When I get ready to pack mine, I'll probably pull a few of those lists and pick and choose what I think is right for me.  
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • No experience here but I remembered being told our hospital does not provide pacifiers so to bring your own if you plan to use them....not sure what STM+ think, if newborns need them? In terms of the general idea, maybe next month I will just start making a list on my phone so I could quickly pack and not worry about forgetting things if it's an emergency...worst case, if the hospital is within reasonable distance, SO/friends/family can just go get the stuff from your house once you settle in at the hospital. It's a little early but can't hurt to prepare some things if you really want I suppose
  • I did start thinking about this. For some reason I started panicking last night when I was trying to fall asleep thinking about all the things that need done. 3 1/2 months seems SO CLOSE! I feel like by the time I hit the third tri I'll be almost out of time ah
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • No experience here but I remembered being told our hospital does not provide pacifiers so to bring your own if you plan to use them....not sure what STM+ think, if newborns need them? In terms of the general idea, maybe next month I will just start making a list on my phone so I could quickly pack and not worry about forgetting things if it's an emergency...worst case, if the hospital is within reasonable distance, SO/friends/family can just go get the stuff from your house once you settle in at the hospital. It's a little early but can't hurt to prepare some things if you really want I suppose
    maybe that's dependent on the hospital b/c I remember them offering my bestie a paci when her LO was born and she insisted that they not give him one because she was worried about nipple confusion or something.
  • This is what I packed in mine last time:

-baby clothes
    -comfy outfit for me
    -make-up and blow dryer (I wanted to feel pretty)
    -coconut oil for my nips
    -all my toiletries (I took a shower the next day and it was heaven)
    -my own pillow
    -robe
    -music speaker
    -chapstick for labor 
    -hard candies for labor
    -water bottle with a straw for labor
    -maxi pads and extra big underwear
    -healthy snacks
    -camera 
    -boppy
    -big gumdrop pacifiers 

When you leave the hospital, grab everything! All the pads, mesh undies, diapers, wipes, peri bottle, snot sucker, blankets, baby shirts, etc. 

Fell in love: Dec 2005 // Married: Feb 9, 2013

Little Miss Rosalie Harper--Born Jan 9th, 2014
  • duckmayduckmay member
    edited June 2016
    See if you can find out what your hospital provides. Ours is amazing, and we didn't really need anything for the baby or my recovery while we were there.

Definitely bring:
    - Basic toiletries for you, whatever you need to feel not disgusting
    - Nipple shields and lanolin, just in case
    - Going-home outfit and car seat for baby (leave the car seat in the car until it's time to go home)
    - A soft, comfortable, forgiving outfit for you to go home in
    - Things to do in bed: phone + charger, book, something to crochet, laptop, whatever
    - Clothes and toiletries for your partner, as needed
    - Copies of your birth plan, if you're doing one
    - A few non-perishable snacks in case you get hungry after the hospital kitchen is closed

Fun fact: the Bradley workbook instructs you to bring along a "birth-day cake" with plates and cups so you can have a party in the hospital. Probably don't do this.

Oh! And don't stress too hard about having every single thing you might need for your hospital stay. If you have what you need for labor, which honestly probably isn't much, you're fine -- your partner can always run home or to a store to get things.
    M/C 4/2013
    E born 6/2014
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • I've thought about this for sure. I would pack now probably if I had all the stuff because I'm a super planner! My sister in law gave me one piece of advice: Definitely take everything from the hospital that you can!! I have a friend who is a L&D nurse so I am going to get her to grab me extras! 
    Me:33
    DH: 34
    Married: May 2011
    TTC #1: May 2015
    DS: 10/20/2016
    TTC #2: June 2019
    #2 EDD: 2/20/2020
  • Thanks ladies!
  • FTM here and in Germany so not sure if this is how it works in the US and Canada, but we were told to bring our official legal ID s because they submit everything for the birth certificate at the hospital. 
    DS#1 born 05 October 2016
    DS#2  due 25 April 2019
  • I've definitely thought of this. For some reason I feel like he's going to be early (although that's just my PGAL brain) so I'm just wanting to be prepared. Haven't packed anything yet, but I've definitely started looking into what people have packed. Thanks for the recommendations everyone! 
    Me: 31 | DH: 43
    BFP #1: 7/15/15, SB: 11/14/15
    Rainbow baby DS born 9/29/16!!
    BFP #3 3/26/18 | Due 12/3/18
  • In addition, I packed too little. I thought I wouldn't be in the hospital for too long or it would be easy for my husband to go home and get it. Turns out I had an ECS my first baby and since I was put to sleep I was too out of it for days to be alone with a baby. Then baby had troubles and we were in the hospital for 4 days, I packed for 1-2. I wish I packed more clothes actually cause hospital gowns get old. 
    My favourite thins are a few nice nursing shirts or tanks, the obvious phone and camera chargers, and some sandals or slippers for walking around. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Chapstick (makeup optional...I thought I would want it but didn't touch it)
    Shampoo/conditioner
    Face wash and moisturizer
    Toothbrush/toothpaste
    Hair brush and elastics
    Comfy pajamas
    Comfy nursing bra
    Robe
    Slippers
    Boppy if you are going to BF
    Lanolin (i love Medela brand) or coconut oil for nipples
    Going home outfit for baby
    Comfy going home outfit for you
    Cell/tablet chargers
    Pacifiers only if you are NOT planning to BF
    BabyGaga
  • I second everything that was mentioned above. I packed too much last time and it was a pain to bring home so I'm going to try to pack lighter this time and I'm definitely bringing snacks for DH because he didn't want to leave my side last time and was hungry for hours. I'm packing water, bars and treats for him this time. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I packed too much the first time. Keep it simple, the hospital provides everything for baby except a going home outfit. For your own going home outfit, take comfy clothes that fit when you're about 5 months pregnant because that's about how big you'll be. 

BabyFruit Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

• Bobby pins, hair ties, chapstick, your own toiletries because most times hospital toiletries are hospital brands, pillow, tank tops, yoga pants/pajama pants, slippers or flip flops, a robe or some sort of cardigan with pockets, I have some sports bra type nursing bras I'll be bringing along (Gilligan omalley from target), whatever outfits or blankets you'll want for baby.  Then of course chargers, phones, cameras, laptops, whatever electronics you want.  I'm a less is more kind of gal, and I know the hospital provides pads and undies so I just use theirs. If your hospital is "baby friendly" they will likely NOT supply you with a pacifier, so if that's something you want baby to have, you'll have to bring your own or send someone out to get one! Your hospital should provide lanolin if you ask for it also! :)
  • A few notes: I packed wayyyyy too much last time. We ended up keeping baby in just a diaper and swaddle, so only needed a going home outfit. For me I spent the whole time in a night gown because it was easier for the constant c section incision checks. Socks, Chapstick, lotion, toiletries, nipple cream, nursing pillow, Chargers, and pacifiers. I know they say not to give a pacifier if you plan on nursing, but we did and baby still latched fine. Trust me, if your milk takes a week to come in like mine did you'll want a pacifier. And even though our hospital provides them, I still brought other options because babies can be picky. 
    <Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker>
  • I was totally clueless about baby clothing sizes with my first and I ended up bringing a "newborn" sized outfit as a our only bringing-home outfit.  Yeah, most "newborn" outfits are really sized for premies - up to 7 lbs.  So @nsquaredlife13's suggestion to bring newborn and 3 months is a really good one.  Our poor child was squished like a sausage in his onesie on the 10 minute drive home.
  • even though all of you are saying not to over pack... I know I will. I just can't help it! I hardly fit all of the stuff I want in a carry on bag for a 2 night stay out of town for work. I'm a terrible packer if you're looking at efficiency, but really great if you consider how much I forget... which is nothing, ever.
  • NoraAuroraNoraAurora member
    edited June 2016
    It's funny how different everyone's experience is. Just goes to show that each person and pregnancy (and baby) is different (sometimes VERY different). For example, DS was almost 9 lbs but fit in NB outfits perfectly (mostly Carters brand) until 2-3 months old. 

I overpacked for DS' birth and I still needed to send H home for more. However I went into labor (on my due date) due to food poisoning, so baby and I had to stay 5 days after delivery for IV antibiotics. You just never know.

So I guess my advice would be to err on the side of overpacking, and hoping you won't need it. Also - from experience, I 100% believe that nipple confusion is totally a made-up thing. Because he was in the NICU, DS got a paci and pumped milk from a bottle from day one - it's just what they do in there when mom can't be around 24/7. He also nursed like a champ. He then totally rejected paci's by 3 months old and has never wanted them since. 

ETA - I'm definitely not suggesting you bring "nice" outfits to wear, but keep in mind that you may have a lot of visitors in the hospital  - esp if things go sideways and you stay longer than you thought. If you're cool with everyone seeing you in a drafty hospital gown, rock on. But if not then make sure you have something you are comfortable with. 
  • @bnsmith85 This is me. But when I get somewhere I'll wish I had the one item I didn't pack (even if it's not a necessity).  We only live 3 minutes from the hospital so I can see myself sending my MIL or a friend to our house to get even more stuff because I'll change my mind on the going home outfit or something. Ha 
    Me:33
    DH: 34
    Married: May 2011
    TTC #1: May 2015
    DS: 10/20/2016
    TTC #2: June 2019
    #2 EDD: 2/20/2020
  • @NoraAurora The sizing definitely depends on brands.  I bought a cute Zutano onesie thinking "newborn" would fit a newborn, but it turns out "newborn" meant "up to 7 lbs."  I think Carters has a premie size and a newborn size, with newborn being 5-8 lbs.  I guess my advice should have been "read the size charts."
  • Bring your own pillow!  That is my best piece of advice!  I brought two new pillows with fun pillowcases to have something special and I felt so good laying down with those!  Every nurse who came into my room loved the pillows and said it was smart to bring those.  The hospital ones are so thin and not at all plush.

Check out Pinterest for your entire packing list.  I def overpacked with my first.  I probably didn't touch half the stuff that I had brought.  I'll be a more save packer this time!

Pregnancy Ticker

Oct 16 March Siggy Challenge

Oct 16 Feb Siggy Challenge

• We live a block from the hospital so I agree with everything everyone else mentioned I'd also suggest socks you can throw away sure hospitals are clean but I also see them as germ centers. 
  • Another suggestion, swim trunks for hubby. Birth can be messy and wet! If you're laboring in the hospital you may want to go into the shower. If your waters break in the hospital, hubby could get wet. Of course this is all from what I've been told since I never got to experience labor. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

Married to DH for 6 years (together for 16)
    DS born 12.13.14
    DD born 10.15.16
    BFP 1.24.18, MC 3.13.18
    <3 BFP 4.25.19, EDD 12.31.19  <3

• Stalking this thread because I too am a type A planner and even though I've been researching what to put in your hospital bag I think it is very useful to hear it from some BTDT moms.

SO and I have been together: 5 Years+
    BFP: 03/10
    First Baby: 10/20/2016
  • I WAY overpacked with DD1. I ended up just living in hospital gowns, so the only stuff I went through were my socks and underwear. Fuzzy socks with grippies are basically a necessity for the hospital. 

I didnt touch my make up, books, movies, music, or laptop the entire time. I thought I'd want some distractions during labor but I ended up liking the silence. After DD arrived I was so focused on her that I didn't even think about those other things!

Poor DD was a little peanut girl. She was swimming in her 0-3 mo outfit. It finally fit her over 3 months later! So this time I'm packing a newborn outfit as well!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Everybody covered everything pretty well. So my only advice would be if you can, go out and buy a pack of big black granny panties for after delivery. There will be blood. Oh there will be blood.
  • Everybody covered everything pretty well. So my only advice would be if you can, go out and buy a pack of big black granny panties for after delivery. There will be blood. Oh there will be blood.
    My mom was kind enough to hit up the maternity store and grab me a few packs of Jessica Simpson grannies lol. They're actually quite comfortable but holy cow I had no idea how badly I would need them. Maxi pads are seriously big lol.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Married to DH for 6 years (together for 16)
    DS born 12.13.14
    DD born 10.15.16
    BFP 1.24.18, MC 3.13.18
    <3 BFP 4.25.19, EDD 12.31.19  <3

My mom was kind enough to hit up the maternity store and grab me a few packs of Jessica Simpson grannies lol. They're actually quite comfortable but holy cow I had no idea how badly I would need them. Maxi pads are seriously big lol.
    No kidding! I wish I would have known with DD (my first), I ruined almost all of my undies, and I didn't completely stop bleeding for 6 whole months with DD and LO, but now I know. Super+ Maxis, and a pack or two of panties dedicated to the cause! Some of the pads were actually longer than the back AND front of my panties!  :D
  • I've always really liked the multi pack Hanes boy short style undies for PP bleeding- they hold pads in place well (from target). I've also heard people say they like the depends disposable underwear. 
  • I can't seem to keep the wings of the pads in place with boys shorts, I think maybe my thighs rub them off of the underwear? And I have more of an issue with pads slipping in boy shorts. But I personally have never had much luck with them, they never fit me right. I just don't have the right shape for boyshorts I guess. Granny Panties all the way for me haha
  • duckmay said:
    See if you can find out what your hospital provides. Ours is amazing, and we didn't really need anything for the baby or my recovery while we were there.

Definitely bring:
    - Basic toiletries for you, whatever you need to feel not disgusting
    - Nipple shields and lanolin, just in case
    - Going-home outfit and car seat for baby (leave the car seat in the car until it's time to go home)
    - A soft, comfortable, forgiving outfit for you to go home in
    - Things to do in bed: phone + charger, book, something to crochet, laptop, whatever
    - Clothes and toiletries for your partner, as needed
    - Copies of your birth plan, if you're doing one
    - A few non-perishable snacks in case you get hungry after the hospital kitchen is closed

Fun fact: the Bradley workbook instructs you to bring along a "birth-day cake" with plates and cups so you can have a party in the hospital. Probably don't do this.

Oh! And don't stress too hard about having every single thing you might need for your hospital stay. If you have what you need for labor, which honestly probably isn't much, you're fine -- your partner can always run home or to a store to get things.
    This list is pretty spot on for what I actually used with my first. I also brought a list of people to call/text after baby was born, so DH could send a note to the friends I wanted to keep updated. I did love having my own slippers, comfy pants, and shirt (easy to nurse in) instead of the hospital gown.

Fun note about the birthday cake: most of the hospitals around me actually bring you a cute little cake after baby arrives! Some even let you pick which kind/decoration you want, so you can have a little celebration together.
  • I brought and used:
    -toiletries (most important: DRY SHAMPOO...because I confess that I got a blowout the day I went in so that my hair would look okay and so I didn't have to do a thing to it. I don't get even get blowouts, but it was a great, convenient thing and I'm so glad I did that day! Planning to again.)  
    -a soft cotton robe
    -a going home maternity dress for myself (a dress because I didn't want to wear pants yet) 
    -clothes for baby + swaddling blankets (our hospital only provided blankets and they didn't feel great) 
    -boppy (which I didn't use at all throughout 9+ months of bfeeding...it just didn't work for us) 
    -lanolin 
    -body wash and lotion for baby (our hospital uses Johnson and Johnson and while i certainly don't judge moms who use that, I wanted to go a different route even in the hospital.) 
    -baby book for footprints 
    -a few snacks
    -own pillow
    -flip flops to wear around...easy to slide on and off + easy on swollen feet. 

What I didn't bring but wanted: 
    -bottled water (actually had my brother go buy us a 24 pack after baby came. We were both thirsty all the time and bottled water was easy.) 

Brought but didn't need: 
    -panties for myself (the hospital gave me mesh panties and even some to take home) 
    -pads (same as above) 
  • Everyone's suggestions are pretty spot on for what to pack. I also highly suggest your own toliet paper because hospitals tend to have that cheap one ply that barely comes off the roll and with a lot of bleeding it's horrible. Also since october tends to be cold at least where im at, dont forge a few blankets or carseat coozie or both. Dont try to pack yout self super cute outfits. I personally tend to have cs so I always wear something loose fitting.