October 2016 Moms

Pregnancy induced carpal tunnel

Anyone else experiencing this? I am 24 weeks now and my hands have been getting tingly and numb at night and when I drive for a few months and in the past week my left wrist started to hurt and now it is in a splint brace. I saw my Dr. today and she says carpal tunnel and won't get better until I have baby. I can feel a little pain in my right wrist too now and am concerned, mostly for work. I work in a hospital and do a lot of lifts and turns. My Dr. never wrote a note but said I should ask for lighter patient duties. She said to keep my wrists as straight as I can and try not to bend them up or down. If it gets bad in my other hand too, I should wear a brace on that one too. Sigh. Def the most painful part of pregnancy so far. Anyone else?

Re: Pregnancy induced carpal tunnel

• This time around it's been very minor but last pregnancy it was horrible. I would wake up after an hour asleep to numb hands, my thumbs and wrists always hurt and the thumb on my left hand would click and feel like it was popping out. I've gotten lucky that it's just occasional soreness in one hand so far. I was told the same thing, it will only get better by having the baby and it did go away after a few days of delivery. I worked from home on the computer last time and am a SAHM this time so I have no advice with work. I'm sorry you a re dealing with it and I hope you find some relief.
    BFP: July 2013 M/C August 5, 2013
    BFP: October 22, 2013 EDD: June 21, 2014
    Baby boy arrived June 23, 2014

BFP: February 2016 EDD: October 17, 2016
  • I had it last time, it didn't start til 3rd trimester. It was mostly worst after sleeping. I expect to get it this time too...I too will ask for light duty at work if it gets bad again. Sorry. It does go away though.
  • Loading the player...
  • knock on wood I only have it after bed and driving 
  • I have it too and it's a painful SOB.  Try wearing splints at night to help with proper positioning. They help keep your wrists in a neutral position and prevent compression of the nerve that's causing the numbness and pain.

Me {32} DH {34}
    Married 05/2014

PCOS baby due October 09, 2016
    Beta #1: 22.5
    Beta #2: 74

• I've got it, too, and it's horrible.  Going to buy some splints today.  Good luck!
  • JennJenn81713  Are you buying one for each wrist? Do you plan on wearing them all day or just at night?
  • I've had terrible carpal tunnel since around week 12. It started with waking up to numb/tingling hands and has gone way beyond that. It's definitely worse at night. I've found if I drink a TON of water during the day, it's better. I'd been sleeping in wrist braces, but still wake up with bad pain in the middle of the night. The past few nights I'm only wearing one on my left wrist since it's worse, and haven't noticed any change in my right. What does help at night is to hang your hands over the edge of your bed.
    Me: 31
    DH: 32

Married: Sep 2012
    TTC #1: Jan 2015
    Baby A (via IUI due to MFI): Sep 2016 born at 35+6

Surprise but very welcome + on 5/16/2019, EDD 1/25/2020
  • I wear them only at night because that's when I experience the most pain. I tell my patients the same.
    Me {32} DH {34}
    Married 05/2014

PCOS baby due October 09, 2016
    Beta #1: 22.5
    Beta #2: 74

• @littlewillie2016, I just bought them for both wrists, and I'll probably just wear them at night.  Although, I've been wearing the right one this afternoon and it feels great.  :)  High hopes for these puppies.
  • I had this with my first pregnancy and it was definitely annoying. It went away a few weeks after he was born. I'm already seeing signs with this pregnancy. :/
    Kimberly
    DS #1 11/08/10
    DS #2 due 10/20/16
  • Nice to hear more ladies are experiencing this too. Hope you all cope okay. :smile:
  • Jen1051Jen1051 member
    edited June 2016
    I have had carpal tunnel for about five years now and have managed it by wearing a Brace on my right hand at night! This is my first pregnancy (23 + 1 now) and around the second trimester starting, it became very severe. I had to wear braces on both hands to sleep and I would still be up all night with completely numb hands and extreme pain. The finger tips of my left hand became numb 24 hours a day. I couldn't do anything during the day, couldn't even hold my phone without hands going numb.

My OB referred me to a plastic surgeon for steriod injections in both wrists. I had the injections almost 3 weeks ago and OMG it's night and day! I don't wear my braces at all anymore after 5 years, the sensation has returned in my fingertips, it sounds corny but I seriously feel like a new person and I feel so free now. The day after the injections was brutal, I couldn't move my hands due to pain and swelling but I think everyone reacts differently to the steriod, as a colleague of mine had them as well and she experienced no pain.

It is supposed to last about 3 months which should almost get me to the birth, at which time I think it will go back to the way it was before, which was manageable.  I would so recommend the injections if it's affecting your every day life! 
  • I've had it in one wrist since I was a teenager and kinda forgot about it until this pregnancy. Same as others with the night and driving, and it's starting in my other wrist now too, but a brace has been my go-to so far. I don't love the kind you wear on either wrist but I'd say try getting one and rotate if you have time to wear it and switch, or just go ahead and get the braces for each hand with the hard/shaped support thing. Good luck everyone!