December 2015 Moms

Remedy for PP hair loss?

i saw a discussion about hair loss PP. but not what I am looking for. Hair started falling out a ton lately over the past several weeks. In still taking prenatal vitamins. But anyone have a shampoo they recommend or any natural remedies they have found that help? I have heard essential oils help. Better to ask before I buy

Re: Remedy for PP hair loss?

• One thing to consider might be making sure you are getting plenty of protein in your diet as a deficiency can cause hair loss. Check if the prenatal you're taking contains biotin. Maybe also see if your doctor will test your thyroid.

I haven't tried it yet but am planning to try Shea Moisture brand's shampoo and conditioner in their Jamaican Black Castor Oil line. Mostly if you want something more natural a couple good ingredients to look for are protein and peppermint oil (protein to strengthen and peppermint oil helps stimulate circulation in the scalp).
  • I eat a pretty healthy diet, take prenatals as well as B complex, fish oil and vitamin D.  Mine fell out quite a bit in my temples around the 3-4 month mark.  Now at 5.5 months it's starting to grow back in.   I don't think any shampoo or anything would help since its hormonal.  Don't worry it'll all come back just lots of headbands for now
  • Loading the player...
  • Yep- it's hormonal and usually peaks around 4-6 months pp. There is a brand called Phyto that is herbal and they have ampoules and hair products that help with hormonal hair loss and thinning. Check your local sephora or online 
  • I'm having the same issue, word for word. It's very normal for our hair to "shed" more right now due to hormones. Keep taking the prenatal. If you are interested in more you can take Biotin, which promotes healthy hair growth (and nail, and skin) - just watch out, you'll have to trim your and your baby's nails more frequently!
  • oh, and I've found only washing my hair every other day helps too. If you can't stand the feeling of not washing, try a dry shampoo. I use the "Not Your Mother's" brand. It's a great time saver!
  • Mines is so bad, can see the temples and under my fringe is like thinning out, can see my scalp- really self conscious of it! I have a good diet but at 5 months PP it seems to have eased off a bit 
  • I hear it'll stop after a year. But I've definitely noticed a slow down on my loss. I think it just takes time...
  • Temples have thinned :( 
  • Yes, I'm still shedding a ton and my hair was thin to start with. I started biotin in the hopes of if at least slowing down. I'm afraid to brush my hair at this point, my stylist said the more I can wear it down, the better it will do, but wearing long hair down with my almost 6 mo old on my shoulder is an insane suggestion. 
  • I'm from N15, and it does slow down!  I've got lots of little hairs growing back in now.  
    DS1: Born 11.18.15
    DS2: EDD- 09.08.17

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Update:  I had am very sparse temples hit at 6 months they are growing back in!