February 2017 Moms
Options

Grammatical Pet Peeves, anyone?

What are yours?

The two that come to mind are:
1) "I am feeling nauseous/nauseated". I always say nauseated and I feel like an uptight snob, but someone once pointed out to me that "I am feeling nauseous" means you feel like you are causing nausea in others. Ever since then my brain is broken. I try to say "I've been having nausea" to work around it.
2) Irregardless- nails on a chalkboard. My best friend says this all the time I have to keep myself from physically cringing.

That being said, I am not perfect and make A TON of mistakes. I mixed up "in lieu of"/"in light of" for the longest time!

What are yours so I can try to avoid them?

<3 DD1- Aug11 <3o:) Angel Baby- June13, said goodbye Oct12 o:)<3 DD2- Aug13 <3<3 DD3- due Feb17 <3

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Grammatical Pet Peeves, anyone?

• Options
    Mine are written rather than spoken - and they relate to the types of errors that my undergraduate students make all the time

there/they're/their
    affect/effect

---TW BFP and MC mentioned - scroll down past the Lilo and Stitch gif to avoid ---

Me: 33 & DH: 33
    Married: 07/2006
    TTC: 10/2015
    BFP #1: 11/2015, MC 12/2015 (7 weeks)
    BFP #2: 06/2016, EDD 2/15/2017

Pregnancy Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I WILL correct you if you can't get your/you're and their/there correct. /sorry not sorry :#  o:)
    This. Yes! 
  • Options
    I didn't know that about nauseous/nauseated. Thanks!

Mine is when people say "I don't believe in _________" but ________ is an actual thing. For example, if someone were to say "I don't believe in gun control" when what they really mean is "I do not support gun control as a policy." It's a policy, not a unicorn. 
    I don't believe in opinions.

Mama to Mason (7) and Asher the Crasher (3).
    Married to Topher (10 years). 32 years young in Oklahoma.

• Options
    Jumping on the they're/their/there your/you're boat.

Also, unique spelling for names.  I get that people want their child to have something that's uncommon but misspelling it just makes you look uneducated.  Plus, you are saddling your child with a name that they will have to correct for their entire life.

With that said, I always mix up pluralizing words and when to add the apostrophe. Please feel free to correct me!

Big Bro 7/14/13
    Little Bro 2/6/17

Pregnancy Ticker   
  • Options
    @peachesnbean from what I understand, "nauseous" can mean both "causing nausea" and "affected with nausea."  So you're clear to say "I feel nauseous" when you mean that you feel like crap.

I have a few big ones that I think are pretty specific.  You probably should not have let me get started.
    1. When people repeat "is" in a sentence.  As in, "the thing is, is that [yadda yadda]."  Oh my god, you do not have to say "is" twice.  Fix your weird verbal tics.
    2. The phrase "is comprised of."  That is not a thing.  You mean "is composed of."  If you are saying "comprise," you need to use it the opposite way.  This class comprises 32 students.  Hawaii comprises eight islands.  Learn what words mean.
    3. The phrase "a myriad of."  It's just "myriad," because "myriad" is an adjective, not a noun.  No, I don't care that the use of "myriad" as a noun has become colloquially acceptable.  Speak properly.
    4. The use of "just because [x]" followed by "doesn't mean [y]."  As in, "just because I was late doesn't mean I don't care."  That does not constitute a logical progression of thought.  Think about what you want to say before you speak.

Love,
    Your friendly neighborhood English teacher
  • Options
    If anyone is into PodCasts and this topic, I highly recommend Lexicon Valley! It is really great and I know so many random facts about words and grammar now. For example: did you know that one cannot be "combobulated"? There is a state of "discombobulation" but not "combobulation". Interesting.

<3 DD1- Aug11 <3o:) Angel Baby- June13, said goodbye Oct12 o:)<3 DD2- Aug13 <3<3 DD3- due Feb17 <3

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    It totally bugs me when people say "I could care less" instead of "I couldn't care less"
    Yes, this!!!!!  SO ANNOYING!!!
    TTC since March 2013

HSG: Sept 2014, clear tubes

Dx: MFI - Low motility, morph, count (Aug. 2014); Hypothyroidism (May 2015)

Moved to IUIs October 2014

IUI #1 w/ injections:  Nov 2014- BFN

IUI #2 w/ injections:  Jan 2015- BFN

IUI #3.1 w/ injections:  Feb. 2015, cancelled due to cysts- 10 days BCP

IUI #3.2 w/ injections:  Feb/March 2015- BFN

IUI #4 w/ 100mg Clomid +  Injections:  August 2015- BFN

IUI #5 w/ 5mg Femara + Injections:  September 2015- BFN

IUI #6 w/ 5mg Femara + Injections:  October 2015 - Cancelled due low response

Moved to IVF May 2016 

Retrieved 18 eggs on 05/27/2016, 13 were ICSI'd, 9 made it to day-five transfer

Transferred 2 beautiful day-five embryos on 06/01/2016, froze 7

BFP 4dp5dt on 06/05/2016!  Line continued to darken beautifully!

EDD:  February 17, 2017

Beta #1:  92

Beta #2:  305 

Ultrasound #1 - one baby!

Ultrasound #2 - saw heartbeat!

LFAF Badges:

• Options
    Supposably (instead of supposedly)

Libary  (instead of Library, unless you're 4 years old...)

Pitcher  (instead of Picture)

I could go on and on...

TTC since March 2013

HSG: Sept 2014, clear tubes

Dx: MFI - Low motility, morph, count (Aug. 2014); Hypothyroidism (May 2015)

Moved to IUIs October 2014

IUI #1 w/ injections:  Nov 2014- BFN

IUI #2 w/ injections:  Jan 2015- BFN

IUI #3.1 w/ injections:  Feb. 2015, cancelled due to cysts- 10 days BCP

IUI #3.2 w/ injections:  Feb/March 2015- BFN

IUI #4 w/ 100mg Clomid +  Injections:  August 2015- BFN

IUI #5 w/ 5mg Femara + Injections:  September 2015- BFN

IUI #6 w/ 5mg Femara + Injections:  October 2015 - Cancelled due low response

Moved to IVF May 2016 

Retrieved 18 eggs on 05/27/2016, 13 were ICSI'd, 9 made it to day-five transfer

Transferred 2 beautiful day-five embryos on 06/01/2016, froze 7

BFP 4dp5dt on 06/05/2016!  Line continued to darken beautifully!

EDD:  February 17, 2017

Beta #1:  92

Beta #2:  305 

Ultrasound #1 - one baby!

Ultrasound #2 - saw heartbeat!

LFAF Badges:

• Options
    yogadevilyogadevil member
    edited June 2016
    I'll add on to PPs:

*Mixing up sense/since, as in "I've loved peaches sense I was a baby."

*People that use "&&" when they type, makes them seem like a whiny child

*I understand that it's becoming more acceptable, but I will never get on board with trying to change the noun 'conversation' into a verb: conversate. It's just so damn unnecessary

Edit- apparently mobile bumping will always eat posts
  • Options
    Oh and when someone says "pacific" instead of "specific" .. I can't. 
  • Options
    My mil frequently uses "I says" instead of "I said". Drives. Me. Bonkers. 
    July Siggy Challenge: Fireworks Fails

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My mil frequently uses "I says" instead of "I said". Drives. Me. Bonkers. 
    My dad does that, too!! 

Big Bro 7/14/13
    Little Bro 2/6/17

Pregnancy Ticker   
  • Options
    @BumpasaurusRex the below is by NO means directed at you!  I have never noticed you having this issue and in any event, at least you are aware of it!  

I have many pet peeves, but my top one right now (which I actually considered using in my Bump screen name) is definitely the increasing trend of using an apostrophe to try to make things plural.  It is all over Facebook.  And even autocorrect is now trying to infect us with this plague!  Apostrophes make things possessive, NOT plural.

If my last name is Smith, my family is the Smiths, not the Smith's.  (At holiday season, I cannot tell you how many cards we get using an apostrophe to make the family name plural.  It is such a common mistake and only getting worse.)  
    I do not go out for drink's with my friend's
    There are no baby's in daycare, only babies
    If I want to address a group of women, I will not call them lady's; they are ladies

Etc, etc.

Me: 1979 * Husband: 1976 * Little girl: 2010 * Little guy: 2013 * MMC: 2016 * Last baby: EDD 2/11/17!  
  • Options
    I don't really have any that I can think of. I feel as long as i can figure out what it's supposed to say then I don't mind it. I actually have my own flaws though. I use my phone app for bump and it is terribly hard for me to not shorten words such as u = you  r = are and so on. I developed the habit while trying to get more characters in texts and it's hard to remember when I'm using my phone. People generally agree that shortening like that is lazy, but really I just tried saving characters way back when you couldn't have long messages. Also the Auto correct is a pain sometimes.
    If anything when others talk and say something different than me, it's usually funny to me. My husband says "kilt" instead of killed lol my mom says "baloo" instead of blue haha and apparently I say "retched" instead of reached but to my defense it's because both my parents say it like that. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    CherryBananasCherryBananas member
    edited June 2016
    All of these drive me nuts, especially the misuse of your/you're and they're/there/their. But a coworker told me this afternoon that "Sanda (our boss) is going to borrow me her carry-on". Argh! 

@16isourluckynumber I tried teaching an older lady at my office the rules of using apostrophes because she was constantly messaging other offices with unreadable emails. I gave up after a few months. She agreed she was hopeless lol. Now she has me proofread the letters before she sends them.
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    KyCatKyCat member
    If anyone is into PodCasts and this topic, I highly recommend Lexicon Valley! It is really great and I know so many random facts about words and grammar now. For example: did you know that one cannot be "combobulated"? There is a state of "discombobulation" but not "combobulation". Interesting.
    This made me think of this scene:

I agree with most of the things listed so far, but I especially hate the current trend of using apostrophes to make things plural. 
    Married 4.26.08
    TTC #1 April 2015
    BFP #1 11.15.15
    MMC/NMC 12.22.15
    BFP #2 6.13.16
    NMC 7.2.16

LFAF March Siggy: Nasty Women
    Kate McKinnon
    Image result for kate mckinnon quotes gifImage result for kate mckinnon quotes gif

Other LFAF Awards: Most likely shopping for LuLaRoe, Sweetest LFAFer, Kindest, Jokiest Jokester, Most likely to meow, Best smelling Bumpie, LFAFer I'd like to meet, Most Genuine

• Options
    All of these drive me nuts, especially the misuse of your/you're and they're/there/their. But a coworker told me this afternoon that "Sanda (our boss) is going to borrow me her carry-on". Argh! 
    WUT. This reminds me of the secretary at my school who says "on tomorrow" the way you would say "on Tuesday."  As in, "the last day of school is on tomorrow." WHAT EVEN ARE YOU SAYING.  
  • Options
    poofwokpoofwok member
    edited June 2016
    So many times I've seen "congradulations" instead of "congratulations". It bothers me so much!!
    First BFP: 12/16/13
    EDD: 08/23/14
    Baby BOY born: 08/29/14
  • Options
    My coworker says "I knows" instead of "I know" like, "I knows you have a lot of work to do today."  It's like nails on a chalkboard to me.
     Me: 27 | DH: 28
    TTC since January 2016

BFP - 3/12/16 - MC 4/5/16
    BFP - 6/11/16

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    FishyMomFishyMom member
    edited June 2016

Some of these really make me giggle... And I agree with most of them, but I won't lie when I say that I am nervous to talk around you ladies.  I am a comma queen.  I like to use them ALL the time.  I also love ellipses.... yep... :)

I have to add one to the library - libary one... Jeremy- is not Germy... he is NOT a Germ and WILL NOT INFECT YOU (well at least most won't ;) )

******************** BFP Warning *******************

I'm 29 and DH is 32 we have a MFI (low count) 
    IVF #1 starting in August. ER 9/5/13 23 eggs we are fertilizing 15. 9 frozen
    ET 9/10 - transferred 1 perfect 5AA blast
    7dp5dt BFP ~~ Beta on 9/19 - 77.4 Beta #2 on 9/21 - 357
    Low heartbeat on 10/7 86, lower heartbeat on 10/11 76, no heartbeat 10/14/13. D&C 10/15/13
    Tests revealed MTHFR c677t mutation, put on Folgard.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    FET #1 1/6/14 - 4BB blast - BFN
    FET #2 - 3/3/14 - 5AB Blast -- Beta #1 3/12 - 152 -- Beta #2 3/14 - 358
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    FET #3 06/09/16 - 5AB Blast - Beta #1 6/18- 245 -- Beta #2 06/20 - 600
     PAIF/SAIF/PAL/SAL welcome!

• Options
    MrsDramaK said:
    My coworker says "I knows" instead of "I know" like, "I knows you have a lot of work to do today."  It's like nails on a chalkboard to me.
    Lol you reminded me of another my mom does. She says "I knowed it" instead of I knew it lol makes my husband and I crack up everytime
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Supposably (instead of supposedly)

Libary  (instead of Library, unless you're 4 years old...)

Pitcher  (instead of Picture)

I could go on and on...

@MagicMikki Hahaha, I have heard people say this!  Is it unique to the Midwest?
  • Options
    kswiger06 said:
    MrsDramaK said:
    Lol you reminded me of another my mom does. She says "I knowed it" instead of I knew it lol makes my husband and I crack up everytime
    Wait My coworker does something similar with the word "seen" she said "I seen it" instead of a "I saw it."  It makes me nuts.
     Me: 27 | DH: 28
    TTC since January 2016

BFP - 3/12/16 - MC 4/5/16
    BFP - 6/11/16

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I write terribly, much worse than I speak, so I shouldn't really talk about anyone else.

BUT my coworker always says someone "came out in" to refer to someone being in a film or TV show.  Like not even the first one they've ever appeared in, but like "oh Finding Dory? Ellen came out in that right" 1. Ellen came out a long long time ago and 2. wtf does that even mean. 
  • Options
    Oh oh, I know 1 I do because my mom always said it... dropping the kids off somewhere she would say "and you better behave!" Hmmmm I thought about it long and hard and it really just doesn't make sense. I get that we were supposed to be on our best behavior but I don't think you can shorten it can you? Weather it's a real word or not it's super weird to me
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I say ya'll. And I will type ya'll. Hope this doesn't kill anyone's feelers. Because it's going to happen, ya'll.

• Options
    KyCatKyCat member
    I say ya'll. And I will type ya'll. Hope this doesn't kill anyone's feelers. Because it's going to happen, ya'll.
    Sorry, I'm only doing this because it's the grammar thread, but:
    *y'all

Married 4.26.08
    TTC #1 April 2015
    BFP #1 11.15.15
    MMC/NMC 12.22.15
    BFP #2 6.13.16
    NMC 7.2.16

LFAF March Siggy: Nasty Women
    Kate McKinnon
    Image result for kate mckinnon quotes gifImage result for kate mckinnon quotes gif

Other LFAF Awards: Most likely shopping for LuLaRoe, Sweetest LFAFer, Kindest, Jokiest Jokester, Most likely to meow, Best smelling Bumpie, LFAFer I'd like to meet, Most Genuine

• Options
    KyCat said:
    Sorry, I'm only doing this because it's the grammar thread, but:
    *y'all

• Options
    Could of, should of, would of. No! It's could have (could've), should have (should've), would have (would've).