1st Trimester

When did you see a heartbeat?

things have been crazy for me.. I started bleeding 2 weeks ago which turned into brown spotting. Last Sunday I went to the ER for more bleeding and they only saw a gestational sac. Had a follow up appointment today and saw a baby and yolk sac measuring 6 weeks 5 days but no heartbeat. My doctor said not to worry and that the machine doesn't always pick them up this early but of course I am. I have another ultrasound next Friday. When did you ladies see a heartbeat? My other 2 girls I was 6 weeks along.

Re: When did you see a heartbeat?

• My first ultrasound was at 7w4d and we were able to see and hear a heartbeat then.  We didn't have one any sooner so I don't know how much earlier we would have been able to see it. 
  • I think the first time I saw the HB was a little after 6w and it just looked like a little flicker
    Expecting baby #1 August 2016 
    Already have three furbabies- Blake, Sydney, and Chester 

• Loading the player...
  • I think it was right around 7wks with DD2, I had an U/S right before 6wks and all they saw was the sac, baby was too small to even be seen in there at that point. 

Spontaneous pregnancy #1
    DD1 July 31, 2011

Trying for #2 since Oct 11
    732973 Clomid Cycles
    2 IUIs 
    3 Fresh IVFs= 1 Ectopic treated with MTX
    Spontaneous pregnancy #2= Ectopic #2= lost left tube
    Spontaneous pregnancy #3= DD2 January 29, 2016
    Spontaneous pregnancy #4= Ectopic #3
    Spontaneous pregnancy #5= Baby #3 is a BOY!!! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • It was only the yolk sac around 6 weeks but saw it clear as day yesterday at my 8 week.  
  • Everyone and every machine is different! Dont worry until you have too. Give it time. Google: missed miscarriage misdiagnosis.
  • A little after 6 weeks (last week). Don't stress, it makes everything harder! I have to go to the hospital tomorrow to get another ultrasound to confirm the length of pregnancy and that everything is progressing the way it should be. Worrisome but not stressing is the best thing you can do!  <3
  • With DD I went for an ultrasound when I thought I was 7 weeks 3 days, but it turned out the measurements showed I was only 6 weeks. Saw the heartbeat then. She was born at 40 wks 3 days so I guess the measurements were accurate. I'm wondering how far off my last menstrual cycle is estimating my due date this time. Please take a deep breath or hug someone. You deserve to relax as much as possible, but I know it's hard.
  • It was 8 weeks since my last period, but my ultrasound I was measured at 6 weeks and 5 days, and we could see the baby's heart beating on the ultra sound. It was a small flicker, but really cool! I wanted to watch it all day.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Married DH: 4/7/2012 
    TTC: 2/3/2016 (Me: 31yrs  DH: 35yrs)
    BFP: 4/10/2016
    EDD: 12/18/16
    Kaynen Alexander born 12/6/16 via c-section (bicornate uterus/breech)
  • I didn't have my first ultrasound with either of my previous pregnancies until week 9-10. My doctor always wanted to wait until it was almost guaranteed to see a heartbeat so no unnecessary worry would be caused. Sounds like the ultrasound was just taken a little too early. Remember, every pregnancy is different, so while some woman will see a heartbeat at your gestational age, doesn't mean you will. Hope the best for you!
  • I had mine at 6 weeks 4 days.  Saw the flickering heartbeat,  they said it was at 117. 
  • Mspink702Mspink702 member
    edited May 2016
    I saw and heard the hb at exactly 6 weeks. It was 114. Best sound ever! 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • How did you all have US's so early??? Where I am they aren't standard until 20 weeks!!!! I'm going to see if I can do one sooner, but then I think I pay out of pocket. Maybe it's worth it? 20 weeks seems so long to wait.
    Me: 30 |  DH: 33
    Married: 8/11/2007

DD: Born 2/3/17
    BFP#2: 5/3, EDD 1/10/19
  • How did you all have US's so early??? Where I am they aren't standard until 20 weeks!!!! I'm going to see if I can do one sooner, but then I think I pay out of pocket. Maybe it's worth it? 20 weeks seems so long to wait.
    Where are you located? From what I'm understanding, it's common practice to have the first us around 6-8weeks for viability purposes, to check heart rate, growth, etc. I would look into it if I were you

Pregnancy Ticker
    Where are you located? From what I'm understanding, it's common practice to have the first us around 6-8weeks for viability purposes, to check heart rate, growth, etc. I would look into it if I were you
    Yeah, I would look into another doctor that might be able to see you sooner. I measured at 6 weeks, but the doctor wouldn't see me until 8 weeks after my last period.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Married DH: 4/7/2012 
    TTC: 2/3/2016 (Me: 31yrs  DH: 35yrs)
    BFP: 4/10/2016
    EDD: 12/18/16
    Kaynen Alexander born 12/6/16 via c-section (bicornate uterus/breech)
    Actually, ACOG just recommends the one at 20 weeks. Some practices bring in their patients early for US for one reason or another. This is not standard united state practice those. 
    Actually, ACOG just recommends the one at 20 weeks. Some practices bring in their patients early for US for one reason or another. This is not standard united state practice those. 
    You learn something new every day

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @sdLindenberg @karabearrr I'm in Minnesota. Maybe it's a midwestern thing, maybe it's a united states thing, not sure. I made a special appointment to talk to OB on Tuesday about medication questions and to express my concern about multiples, so we'll see what the doctor says. Otherwise over here it's standard to do first US at 20 weeks, unless there's a reason to do one sooner like possible mc or if you've been working with an RE or if they think it might be ectopic, etc. I WISH it was standard to do one at 6-8weeks!!
    Me: 30 |  DH: 33
    Married: 8/11/2007

DD: Born 2/3/17
    BFP#2: 5/3, EDD 1/10/19
  • Out here in California, I've only ever heard of the first US at 6-8 weeks. I even asked my dr yesterday about it and she commented that it really depends on your dr office, but 99% of practices out here will do that first one earlier on.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • The first time I saw the heart flicker was at 6w5d (quick US at the OB's office). Then at 7w5d I had a dating scan and the heartbeat was measured at that point.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm in Minnesota and we did a dating ultrasound at my first 8 week appointment and they had me do a second that same day when I was showing st 7 to confirm the dating since my dr did the first one.  I was 7 w 1 d and we were able to see the heart beat 
  • I went in when they thought I was 6 weeks and just saw the gestational sac. I completely spent the next 2 weeks freaking out and worried that it wasn't going to happen for nothing. It turned out at my next ultrasound I was measuring 7 weeks and 4 days with a wonderful heartbeat and little itty bitty baby. My first doctor did it way too early. My second doctor said they try to wait until you are 8-12 weeks before doing an ultrasound for this very reason because sometimes conception dates can be off. 
  • With my pregnancies, I've seen a heartbeat at about 7 weeks each time.

On the other topic brought up about only getting one ultrasound....I believe that most American insurance companies cover an early ultrasound at around 6-8 weeks to confirm the pregnancy and its location, an anatomy scan ultrasound at around 18-20 weeks, and an additional ultrasound close to delivery to confirm the baby's presentation. My doctors have done additional ones as need arises, and they have been covered at 100% when the person coding the reason for it listed the medical need for one. I've had three different insurances and 5 different OB/GYNs over the years, and this was standard practice with all of them.
  • I'm pretty sure my insurance covers pretty much any ultrasound the doctor orders, but my doctor (not the original OB I had picked :() is telling me they don't do the first ultrasound until 18 weeks and they don't recommend NT unless you're of advanced maternal age. It feels weird because I have AMAZING insurance and yet the doctor is just like, "There's no need! We can feel your uterus and hear the heartbeat and do quad screening through bloodwork and that should be plenty!" 

With my first pregnancy (a MC), I had significant RLP by 7 weeks (it was a twin pregnancy and I had no idea) and was able to get an ultrasound early because of that. Of course, new doctor says, "Your uterus isn't measuring too far ahead of schedule with this pregnancy, I doubt there are twins this time."

My mom said when she was pregnant with me, she never got any ultrasound or any testing done. I was just a total mystery until I was born. I can't even fathom.

We were able to hear the heartbeat 2 days ago though at 10w1d via doppler. It was a healthy 160bpm.
    That's really interesting/scary because 20 weeks is about too late to catch TTTS in mono-di and momo twin pregnancies- I'll start bi-monthly ultrasounds by 14 weeks 
  • MrsCPALeslieMrsCPALeslie member
    edited June 2016
    @sweetyjenj I'm from Missouri and I have to wait until 20 weeks for my first ultrasound as well. At my first appointment at 8 weeks, the doctor only performed a few tests and asked a lot of questions. I hope to see the heartbeat at my next appointment. In fact, I'm demanding to hear it.
  • My first ultrasound was at 7w0d and we were able to see and hear the heartbeat. I wouldn't stress just yet. It could just be a little early.
  • My first will be 11w. Apprently it's VERY dependant on your OB. If there's a reason they think you need it early, then they will. But it sounds like most are moving to 8-12w and then 20w only. I've heard many insurances are now only covering 2 US without extenuating circumstances (like multiples, etc.)