Babies on the Brain
Options

non-thermometer temp/fertility tracking

I am curious about temping and bought a basal body thermometer but I'm worried that my schedule and sleeping habits will create inaccuracies in my temperature and make it difficult to read a chart (haven't started yet, still on HBC another 2 months). After browsing for an easier way to do this I have seen multiple wearable products that will record BBT automatically, in theory drastically minimizing human error & the question of reliability. I saw another such product (as a promoted pin on Pinterest) today, so my interest was sparked again. However, none of the products I've seen are shipping yet although they have preorder options and tentative shipping dates. I am too wary that the ship dates would be pushed back and back to preorder something especially with TTC only a couple months away. Just wondering if anybody has come across a product like this that is currently shipping? 
Me (28) & DH (35)
Met 4/2010+Married 8/2014 
TTC #1 August 2016BFP 10/2016= DD Born 6.23.17
NTNP April 2018. BFP 5/2018 EDD 1.29.19 *Team Green*

Re: non-thermometer temp/fertility tracking

• Options
    That sounds super cool!!! But honestly, in the meantime, why don't you try temping with your BBT and see how your chart comes out?? I was really concerned, too, because my wake times are always different but even in my first month of recording temps I was able to detect the temp shift and thus, ovulation :) I have three months left before TTC so I wanted to see what my cycles were like. Even with an ugly chart a lot of women are still able to detect O. I'd say give it a shot and you can always ask questions/CS!
  • Options
    Thank you! I probably will. The few times I've used my BBT first thing in the morning my temps were all over the place- like 2 degrees apart one day to the next, sometimes I'd take it after getting out of bed and it would be actually lower than it was first thing- maybe I got a bum thermometer or I'm just temping "wrong". I haven't ovulated since I was a teenager due to HBC, but tried it out a couple days just to see if I was at least consistent and could get used to taking it first thing in the AM. I don't want to get too paranoid that I'm not ovulating after HBC if my temps look like this because I can be kind of a hypochondriac! Hoping I'll have better luck later on. I might buy a new BBT,... I just have the cheapo Mabis one from Amazon
    Me (28) & DH (35)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    MrsFL2015MrsFL2015 member
    edited June 2016
    I would just start temping with a regular thermometer and see how it goes.  That's what I did and I saw patterns in my chart.  I'm not the greatest at temping at the exact time everyday and today (for the first time) I forgot to temp!   Temping isn't meant to be a huge deal or require lots of expensive/hard to find equipment.  Try it out and see how it goes, then decide if you need a special thermometer.   You'll be surprised at how this is a really a simple and easy process.  Don't over think it when you first start. 
  • Options
    @PolarBear517 even if your temps are a bit erratic you can typically still find a shift. I did miss the part about being on HBC, in which case, you wouldn't temp until you stop taking HBC. It can take a couple cycles after HBC to normalize OR you might have normal cycles right away. 
    When you do stop HBC, just make sure the battery in your thermometer isn't too old or just get a new cheapie thermometer (can sometimes be cheaper than buying a new battery lol). The cheap MABIS one is the one most ladies here use! If it makes you feel any better, if I take my temp in bed and then I get up and go bathroom and then temp again, my temp is also lower afterwards. I don't think that's uncommon, and that's why you're supposed to take it as soon as you wake up, before you get out of bed. 
    My chart last month was way prettier than this month, but I can still tell when I ovulated. There WILL be some variation between temps daily, and that's okay. Go check out some charts on FF to get a better idea and maybe calm some of your nerves <3
  • Options
    It puts me at ease knowing your temps have been lower after getting up too! For some reason I was under the impression that temping was supposed to capture your lowest temperature of the day and the concern was that it could raise drastically with movement. I felt like it had to be an error! 

In 7-8 weeks I'll be off HBC. I have the Fertility Friend app on my phone which I've heard makes it easier to request help/chart stalks. We have good reasons to be holding off for a couple months, but I'm getting anxious/antsy to see how my body reacts post-BC, so I think I've been overthinking the whole thing 
    Me (28) & DH (35)

• Options
    Hey I don't blame you; I'm no stranger to over thinking!!! Especially when it comes to this baby making business  :p