November 2015 Moms

Can you drink alcohol then breastfeed??

I have my stagette coming up soon and am wondering if you can drink and then breastfeed in the morning when you are sober again? Or is there a rule you can breastfeed so many hours after each drink you consume?? or if it's just a big no no all together?

TIA!

Re: Can you drink alcohol then breastfeed??

• My doc and lactation consultant both said as long as you're ok to drive you're ok to breastfeed. I don't know if anyone else heard otherwise but that's how I've been handling drinking. Don't forget to drink a lot of water though!
  • Okay thank you!! I'm planning on drinking a glass of water to every alcoholic drink I have
  • Loading the player...
  • Same here.  If you're okay to drive, then okay to BF.  I've done this plenty of times, and I promise my DS did not get drunk. I believe alcohol clears breastmilk at the same rate as it does your blood, so it's a pretty reliable indicator.  Also, if you're really worried, some places (I think toys r us?) Sell strips you can use to test the milk for the presence of alcohol.
    DS1: Born 11.18.15
    DS2: EDD- 09.08.17

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Oh that's perfect! I will have to go look!
  • You can get the test strips on Amazon. 
  • wimamaof2wimamaof2 member
    edited June 2016
    OP, yes, you can.  Be careful though since you have not had a drink in so long and you could get tipsy fast.  When I breastfed, I would limit myself to 1 drink.
    Also, keep in mind if you drink beer or wine, you will most likely produce more milk.

Edit because of auto correct.
  • Thanks! I am kind of scared since as you mentioned I haven't drank in soo long! But I also want to have fun since it's my stagette:/ I'll just try to take it easy!