Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

Very early MC question

I feel like my Dr isn't hearing me. I called hoping he could maybe run betas as I am only 4 weeks but started spotting, turned heavier bleeding today. He wants me to go for an ultrasound to rule out ectopic, and is saying its an emergency. isn't it too early to have that worry? I thought at 4 weeks it would be relatively uncomplicated. I don't need to be adding any unnecessary hurt or fear as I am already feeling really really upset. Is this normal Protocol? 

Re: Very early MC question

• Also, should add, I have passed a couple small clots, so I have zero doubt in my mind this is a MC. I don't feel like I'm jumping the gun. I wanted confirmation, and feel that at this stage an ultrasound wouldn't provide that, but maybe I'm wrong?
  • I am sorry for your loss.  It sounds like perhaps this is a chemical pregnancy.  I just had one last week.  I guess I would also want betas, you could also have your progesterone tested.  An ultrasound can tell you though what is going on with your lining (mine was thin today--I had a low beta on Friday & started spotting, then clots Friday night & heavier bleeding over the weekend).  I don't know if you would expect to see anything in your tube or uterus at this point, since it's so early, so maybe you can ask that of your doctor.  Sorry again you are going through this.  
    About me:
    /loss mentioned/
    TTC#1 July 2014
    dx: MFI (morphology)
    IUI #1 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Sept. 2015 ~ BFN
    IUI #2 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Halloween 2015 ~ BFN
    IUI #3 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Thanksgiving 2015 ~ BFP!!
    hb 146 bpm at 7w5d
    1/28/16 ~ began to say goodbye to our beautiful baby at 11w 
    d&c, followed by cytotec
    TTCAL April 2016
    IUI #4 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Apr. 2016 ~ BFN
    IUI #5 w/Clomid + Ovidrel ~ CP
    IUI#6 w/Clomid + Ovidrel ~ BFN
  • Loading the player...
  • I echo everything that the above poster say. My doctor did do an u/s at 5 weeks but they were looking for free fluid (which can be a sign of etopic) as well as took betas.

i am very sorry for the loss.
  • fioripfiorip member
    I'm very sorry for what you're going through. I agree, with previous posters. I had my first miscarriage a little over a year ago and when I called the doctor because I was bleeding, first thing he did was an ultrasound, it is more important to rule out the ectopic in case you might need emergency surgery. He will most likely draw your blood for betas after that. 
    I'm 29, husband is 30
    Together since 2006
    Married 01.17.15  <3

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 

• I was just diagnosed with an ectopic Pregnancy. I was also spotting early on. I found out at barely 5 weeks along after taking 3 blood tests. So yes, get the ultrasound done ASAP, we caught it early enough so we could take the Methotrexate instead of surgery(praying to God it works quick). You want to avoid surgery if you can to avoid scar tissue in your tubes or uterus. Hope you don't have it! GL!