July 2016 Moms

Owlet

I have been doing some research on the owlet monitor and love what I have seen. It seems from other posts that other FTMs have some questions as well. So STMs that have used the owlet...

What did you think/ would you recommend it?

Was it worth the investment?

Did you use the owlet and a video monitor or did you just use the owlet and a normal monitor?

What did you love most/ hate about it?

Thanks for the advice!!
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Owlet

• I don't have the owlet. I have a monitor that I barely used for my first. We never even hooked it up for my 2nd. Our house is two stories (split level) aND never had a issue.
  • I also looked into it and think that if I were a FTM, I would probably try it out. But since I am a STM, and I already have a Angelcare monitor that we loved with our first, we will be using that one again. 
  • @AAAG13 I doubt you'll find STM who used it because the beta version was just released a couple of months ago! We looked into it too and are interested, but it's hard because most consumers reports are by people who were offer to try the products. I'll
    Keep an eye on your post
  • So DH talked me out of it. He said it was I my going to stress me out more because if the baby kicks the thing off or wiggles out of it I will freak out for no reason. Even my video monitor makes me a little more anxious because I used to just sit there and watch it. Did he move? Is he breathing? Yes he is sleeping, the baby is fine!

We do need a monitor because we can't hear across the house but I almost think just the sound one would have been better for me. Of course we will add an additional camera to our existing one for 2.0 but if I had to do it over just the sound for me.

On another note, always make sure the damn thing is plugged in before you go to bed. We woke up this morning and it was dead and Murph was screaming. Sorry kid!
  • Thanks for the info ladies!
    Pregnancy Ticker

• We use a simple inexpensive monitor and We are personally happy we went that route. While there were times it might have been nice to know what was going on in there, we never really felt like we needed anything more.
  • WVUPetuniaWVUPetunia member
    edited January 2016
    Didn't have that (obviously it wasn't around), but we did have a Snuza Hero that clipped onto DS's diaper.  I do think it helped me rest a little easier.  It had very few false alarms while he was little.  We'll use it again with this LO.
    Me: 32 DH: 32
    Married: 05/31/2008
    DS: 11/06/2012 at 38w 1d
    M/C: 06/11/2015
    DD: 06/14/2016 at 37w 3d
  • @juliagulia38 that's exactly what I thought of too :smile: 
  • joujouwishjoujouwish member
    edited January 2016
    Hey ladies, my friend @marowan pinged me to come in and answer questions on the Owlet since we have one and have tried others to compare it too.

Just want to tell you that I will not use the angelcare monitor/pad or the levana oma (same as the snuza hero) ever again. We use the Owlet now. It's the only monitor that actually grows with baby. You are worried about baby kicking it off? It's only happened once and that was 2 weeks ago. Baby is almost 1. That thing is not easy to get off. The child pulled it off, they don't kick it off. vs. the angel care, once baby starts rolling or crawling, forget it. The clip, same thing, it kept falling off his diaper and sent us straight into panic mode many times. 

I wrote a review on the Owlet here. I promise you, it is 100% worth it for the peace of mind the others could not provide me in those early months especially. When sleep is so hard to come by already. Instead of getting my tired bum out of bed to go check to see if baby is breathing, etc. I can now whip out my phone and check without moving from the bed. I so wish I had it in those early months. It would have completely changed my outlook on things back then.

• ps. there is $20 off the Owlet on that blog post too. Win win!

pps. I can stalk baby from work (8 miles away) with it while he sleeps. muahahha!!!
  • Taymiller said:
    So DH talked me out of it. He said it was I my going to stress me out more because if the baby kicks the thing off or wiggles out of it I will freak out for no reason. Even my video monitor makes me a little more anxious because I used to just sit there and watch it. Did he move? Is he breathing? Yes he is sleeping, the baby is fine! 
    This. 
    July '16 May Siggy Challenge 

BabyFetus Ticker
    Me: 29
    DH: 32
    Married: June 2011
    DD #1: December 2013
    DD #2: EDD July 2016
  • I showed it to DH and he wants to get it. Just a little peace of mind since we'll have so many kids running around :wink:
  • @ladythrice you sound like the attachment parenting type! I also agree baby should be with you as much as possible in the 4th trimester and I wouldn't let a machine do my job nor would I spend a ton of money on these types of products. For the hyper vigilant mom and anxiety driven one I can promise no machine will take away your fears.
  • @ladythrice @Puddles03- Well said! I think you both summed up my exact feelings on this topic. 

July '16 May Siggy Challenge 

BabyFetus Ticker
    Me: 29
    DH: 32
    Married: June 2011
    DD #1: December 2013
    DD #2: EDD July 2016
  • We use the Snuza and LOVE it. We will def be purchasing the new one that comes out in June
  • We beds hated by the way, and I still used the Snuza. While I totally am an attachment parent, the Snuza still eases my mind

• It's worth noting that the time that you as a mom are most hyper vigilant about whether the baby is breathing or not happens when the baby is still likely with you 24/7. For me personally, DS slept in our room with us at night and took his naps with me around the house wherever I was (ie. in his RNP in the living room, in his PNP in our bedroom, etc). He didn't go into his own room until I felt comfortable being away from him. I don't believe the Owlet would change this for people. Nor do I honestly believe it should. I'm in the 'hippy dippy' camp that thinks newborns, especially during the "4th trimester," should still be 'attached' to the mom as much as possible.

This for me, too. I just used a video monitor once baby left our room (4/5 months).

My question is, at what point do you stop monitoring the baby with an Owlet/Snuza, etc? I still peek in on my toddler to see her little belly rise and fall. Hell, I watch my dog and husband sometimes, too.
  • lexijoslexijos member
    I have the owlet and have been using it for 11 months and I absolutely love it. I highly recommend it to everyone, the peace of mind it brings is priceless. Also I definitely think that the owlet is worth every penny spent on it. I can't imagine not having it anymore. With my first I never slept because I was constantly checking on her but now that I have the owlet with my second, I am actually finally able to relax and get some sleep knowing that the owlet is monitoring my baby. I also really like that the owlet has a free app you can download and see your baby's heart rate and oxygen levels, I also like that if there is a problem the app with alert me along with the owlet. I use my owlet at every nap time and at bedtimes, I also have a video monitor that I use just so I do know when she is waking up. I can't say enough good things about the owlet, I am super grateful to have it. Last month, it helped me and my baby's pediatrician diagnose her with rsv before she was showing any symptoms because my owlet was letting me know she was having problems with her oxygen levels. I recommend the owlet to everyone, you won't regret getting it. 
  • what up, Owlet spam?
  • joujouwishjoujouwish member
    edited June 2016
    **Removed for TOU violation**
  • I purchased it and cannot wait to put it to use! We had the snuza with DD and has SO many false alarms that it caused more stress. The owlet appears so much more reliable with it's technology. As a mom who knows I will be paranoid about sleep and sids it is 11110000% worth the investment. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml