July 2016 Moms
Options

Breast pump brands

I have the choice of 5 different brands of pumps through my insurance...
medela pump in style
ameda purely your ultra 
hygeia q
spectra s2
freemie

Does anyone have recommendations for any of these? I only breastfed for a few weeks last time and did not buy a pump?

Re: Breast pump brands

• Options
    Sorry...I did search and nothing came up for some reason....but thanks for the advice! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Per the instructor  at my breast feeding class tonight, the Medela and Ameda are the most popular brands and seem to be well regarded. If I had the choice between the two I'd pick the Medela... It seems to be the preferred choice from what I've heard from other moms. My insurance covers the Ameda but I may try and snag the Medela once I'm under my husbands insurance. 
  • Options
    I'm getting the Spectra S2, has amazing reviews. But have heard good things about almost all these others, too. Only one I've never heard of is freemie. Try looking each of them up on amazon.com and reading the reviews.
    DD1: Born January 2013
    DD2: Due July 12, 2016
    Two rescue dogs 

BabyFruit Ticker

July 2016 - July Siggy: Weird Hot Dog Situations
  • Options
    @lmp3251@aol.com with my first I pumped at work for a year with the medela pump in style. It worked great and was convenient to carry back and forth as needed! I would recommend it.
  • Options
    I was an exclusive pumper with DD.  I had a Medela PISA.  It worked fine and (although everyone is different) I produced a lot.  This go around, I ordered a Spectra because on all my pumper forums, the ladies seem to love it, LIKE really love it, and it is hospital grade, it is supposed to be more comfortable to use and it is supposed to be quiet.  Those are the two I'd go with.  
  • Options
    I also exclusively pumped for DD1 and used a medela PISA. It worked just fine. The benefit of it was that extra pumping parts are readily available at stores like Walmart and Target. 

For DD2, even with new tubing, my output with it wasn't as good. Granted I also was bfing so that could be a difference too.

This time, however, I'm getting the Spectra S2. Like the pp said, it's hospital grade and gets amazing reviews for production out put and it's apparently really quiet. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Per the instructor  at my breast feeding class tonight, the Medela and Ameda are the most popular brands and seem to be well regarded. If I had the choice between the two I'd pick the Medela... It seems to be the preferred choice from what I've heard from other moms. My insurance covers the Ameda but I may try and snag the Medela once I'm under my husbands insurance. 
    My insurance only covers Ameda, so I bought a Medela PISA out of pocket. I used the PISA for exclusively pumping with DD, and never had any issues. I got the Ameda from insurance anyway, as one to keep in the car for when out and about, and the suction was laughable. Then I read reviews on them and saw a lot of people mentioning their motors going out and losing suction and everything. I can totally see it happening, it feels really flimsy, cheap, and doesn't have the same sucking power that the Medela has. 
    I had a medela and a ameda with my last baby and the Ameda stopped working after only using it for 10 months (and I used it less than my Medela).  My medela lasted through two babies and probably still works, but I got a new medela from insurance this time again.

I have heard great things about the Spectra as well like pp mentioned.

The freemie looks cool, but I have read mixed reviews about out-put.  I put the collection cups seperately that attach to medela so I can try them (for returning to work), but we will see.