September 2015 Moms
Options

Is Anyone Still Rocking?

ems028ems028 member
edited May 2016 in September 2015 Moms
So, my LO is 8 months next week, she was able to put herself to sleep at bedtime last month. But this month has always needed rocking. I don't really mind, because I give her the opportunity to fall asleep..but if she starts crying then I pick her up and sooth her. 

All nappies still need rocking

Is Anyone Still Rocking? 108 votes

All naps and bedtime
39% 43 votes
Just naps
6% 7 votes
Just bedtime
8% 9 votes
Baby can put themself to sleep but sometimes needs my help
30% 33 votes
Never. My baby can sleep by him/herself for all naps and bedtime
14% 16 votes

Re: Is Anyone Still Rocking?

• Options
    I voted never, but only because we don't rock. I just hold him while he has his last bottle of BM for the night and he falls asleep that way. He falls asleep for naps on his own at the sitters but usually with a bottle for naps at home. 
  • Options
    I didn't vote because I'm a few of them LOL
    Everyday it's different. We have a big lazy boy chair and we both love to rock LO. He enjoys it but doesn't need it. It's mainly for us! He can fall asleep on his own with no rocking. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We don't have a rocker so no here. He usually nurses to sleep though. 
  • Options
    Rocking and nursing him down for his morning nap as I type this! If I put him down it requires nursing, but dad can put him to bed with rocking just fine.
  • Options
    We've never rocked, but LO goes between periods of putting himself back to sleep and not (he's gotten two teeth in a month, so I think it has coincided with that). If he's having trouble he goes back to sleep with nursing or just holding him for a few. The odd thing is he goes between being able to transfer and not depending on how he's sleeping. If it's a bad night I cannot transfer him for the life of me after his initial put down. Getting babies to sleep is like the greatest mystery of parenthood, it's crazy to me! 
  • Options
    ems028ems028 member
    edited May 2016
    Loving the poll results...Hehe I was thinking I was the only mum to still be rocking.

@booksandcleverness81 baby sleep is such a mystery
  • Options
    Rocking, nursing, singing lol... and doing it all again in the middle of the night!  My lo is a pretty bad sleeper all around.   According to all the "advice" I'm pretty much doing everything wrong.   But it's working for us right now!
  • Options
    vibarra27vibarra27 member
    edited May 2016
    I put sometimes need my help if they've had a long/rough day(once a week)ill hold them in my arms for 5 minutes, give them a kiss & Lay them down awake & 5 minutes later their asleep. My boys will not sleep in my arms unless they're overly tired @ bed time. Bitter-sweet.
  • Options
    I nurse and do a very gentle rock in a recliner for naps and bedtime, DS takes two 1 hour naps and sleeps 8+ hours five minutes feed then 4 more at night so I'm happy and love the extra cuddles. He's growing up too fast. 
  • Options
    My daughter nurses to sleep and then I rock her. Every night.
  • Options
    Curious- moms of babies who can put themselves to sleep did you do sleep training?
  • Options
    ems028ems028 member
    edited May 2016
    Maybe some babies are just able to put themselves to sleep? Whereas some babies like my LO can't :D
  • Options
    FatPonyFatPony member
    I could never rock mine to sleep bc he would just try to play or interact with me. He has to be in his crib or the car to sleep or he's too distracted. He has gone down by himself since 2 months, with his soother. I have no idea why, definitely not bc my parenting is so awesome, he just did it himself
  • Options
    kdoak2015 said:
    Curious- moms of babies who can put themselves to sleep did you do sleep training?
    No sleep training really. And it only works half the time for us! Lol He has to be very calm, I avoid eye contact, don't talk to him for a few minutes all while holding him...then I lay him in his crib with his glow worm soother and whatever I do I AVOID EYE CONTACT! LOL 
  • Options
    DS2 goes down awake for naps and bedtime.  Long story short, we did end up STing around 8 months.  Our experience was relatively painless and fixed our sleep issues.  LO still sometimes wakes for a snooze button feed, I'm just no longer in his room every 1-3 hours overnight. 
  • Options
    ElleMF728 said:
    DS2 goes down awake for naps and bedtime.  Long story short, we did end up STing around 8 months.  Our experience was relatively painless and fixed our sleep issues.  LO still sometimes wakes for a snooze button feed, I'm just no longer in his room every 1-3 hours overnight. 
    What type of sleep training did you do? 
  • Options
    kdoak2015 said:
    Depends on how you define sleep training. Did I let him scream for hours?  No. Do I let him whine for 5-10 mins befor going back in?  Damn straight. Especially by now, if they can't do that, it becomes a real problem with self soothing. 
  • Options
    kdoak2015 said:
    Yes we did sleep training- Ferber method.  Worked great for us, he sleeps 1-1.5 hrs for his naps and 11-12 hours at night with no wakeups.  He gets really happy when it's time to sleep and starts giggling when we put him in his crib.  I guess he loves sleep as much as his mama!
  • Options
    It didn't save my message ugh....how long did it take for you to get results from the ferber? My son is having a sleep regression of sorts and I'm at a loss
  • Options
    cmommy13 said:
    It didn't save my message ugh....how long did it take for you to get results from the ferber? My son is having a sleep regression of sorts and I'm at a loss
    @cmommy13 It took 3 days for him to fall asleep with relatively no fussing, but the first night he slept through the night (except for his 3am feed). Previously he had been waking every 45-90 mins.  Here's what it looked like for us:

Day 1: 25 minutes of fussing/crying at bedtime;  Woke at 3:30am for feeding; fussed for 10mins after feeding then slept until 6:30am.

Day 2: 12 minutes of crying at bedtime; Woke for 3:30am feeding; fussed for 5 mins after feeding then slept till 6:30am.

Day 3: Less than 2 minutes of fussing at bedtime (really he just moaned a few times then fell asleep).  Woke for 3:30am feeding; no fussing/crying after feeding and slept until 6:30.

For about 1.5 weeks after that he continued to complain for about 1-2 minutes each night before going to sleep.  Then he started smiling and giggling at us when we put him down and immediately rolling over into his sleep position with his little butt in the air.  I think he started to get excited for sleep!

We used Ferber when we dropped his MOTN feeding and that took about 3 days too.  Now he sleeps 11-12 hours straight each night.  During sleep regressions, teething, etc. he sometimes will fuss for 10-15 mins rather than going to bed smiling, but he's always slept straight through the night once asleep, and the fussing usually only lasts a few days then we are back to normal.

If you choose to sleep train, consistency is key!  I read the book and followed it to a T with no exceptions.  We also have a very consistent bedtime routine and I say the same things to him every night when I lay him down ("It's time for sleep now, I'll see you in the morning, I love you, goodnight, etc.").  Also I've read it can take a little longer to sleep train the older they get because they are so set in their ways, so just be prepared for it to possibly take an extra couple of days for your LO to go to sleep without fussing.  Good luck!

• Options
    anamvicc said:
    ElleMF728 said:
    What type of sleep training did you do? 

We ended up using Ferber at bedtime.  DH and I decided to make a commitment to changing sleep.  I started giving him his bottle downstairs at the beginning of his bedtime routine, rather than in his nursery since he was getting too drowsy on it.  I also moved DS to a 2,3,4 schedule (more or less).  Last, I committed to no feedings before 12 am.  We never did any nap training, the change in wake times along with fixing bedtime translated over into improved daytime sleep as well.  

Within 3 days he went from 15 minutes of crying (with checks) at bedtime and once after his MOTN feed to no crying at all and going right to sleep after eating. 
  • Options
    We did a little bit of sleep training for naps, but mostly it was her. I let her fuss for 2 mn before going in to give her the pacifier and then I would leave for 2 mn. But I always have to go back in when she's fussing because she doesn't settle herself back down it turns into hysterical screaming. But if she's talking to herself or just doing a little bit of fussing then I leave her be until she either falls asleep or starts fussing more. 
  • Options
    My LO is sleeping 11-12 hours a night. She just started at 8 months with us starting a schedule. Her naps have increased to, usually about an hour. I still hold and rock her to get her to sleep for bedtime and naps. If I lay her in crib she just rolls around and plays until she's done and then cries.

My mom and MIL insist I sleep train to get her to fall asleep on own. I want her to, but I also don't want to rock the boat now that I'm finally sleeping more than 4 hours again. She puts herself back to sleep at night.

My only concern is that she's going to in home daycare two days a week in Septemer (and with her grandmas other 3 days), and my neighbor can't/won't rock her to sleep for naps. 

We still rock but I may have to sleep train to get her to fall asleep awake 
  • Options
    ems028ems028 member
    edited June 2016
    The last 2 nights my LO has not needed rocking to fall asleep..I just hold her

So cute!
  • Options
    We rock our little guy to almost sleep most nights. We try to let him fall asleep alone as much as we can though. Right now because he's sick he needs more help to fall asleep.