April 2016 Moms
Options

Thrush or not?

Just got back from the ped for LO's 2 month well visit. I'd noticed he had a white tongue but assumed it was milk residue. The ped tried to scrape it off and it didn't really work. She made what she called a "soft" diagnosis of thrush and phoned in a nystatin rx for us. Has anyone had thrush without any other symptoms in mom (no nipple soreness or anything?  LO seems to eat without pain, although of course he can't tell me. Debating whether to use the medicine or wait and see. Appreciate any opinions!

Re: Thrush or not?

• Options
    My LO has thrush, on her tongue, cheeks and diaper area. I EBF and have no symptoms myself. We use the nystatin and it has nearly cleared up. The mouth stuff doesn't seem to bother her as far as I can tell but the yeast thrush rash on her bottom seems pretty uncomfortable. She didn't develop the rash for awhile. If I were you I'd use the medicine to try and knock out the thrush in her mouth before it can travel to her bottom. 
  • Options
    myla14myla14 member
    Thanks!  Do you use the cream yourself just in case, even tho you don't have any symptoms?  
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    myla14 said:
    Thanks!  Do you use the cream yourself just in case, even tho you don't have any symptoms?  
    Yeah, I put the cream on my nipples to prevent symptoms. 
  • Options
    We had the same issue, my LO has a white tongue but when pediatrician tried to scrape it off it like half came off and half stayed so she said maybe it was thrush and prescribed us nystatin. We gave it to her anyways just to be on the safe side. It maybe got a little better but never transferred to me and the tiny bit of diaper rash she had initially cleared up immediately. We went back for her 2 month check up and dr was confident it wasn't thrush and we should stop the nystatin. Sofar so good, she still has a white patch on the base of her tongue but I'm thinking maybe it is just milk!
  • Options
    myla14myla14 member
    @amystumpf86 Was the medicine annoying to give or nbd? Still haven't filled our prescription. Not sure why I'm being medicine avoidant, I am normally pro-meds, but it's just weird to me not to have any symptoms!
  • Options
    myla14 said:
    @amystumpf86 Was the medicine annoying to give or nbd? Still haven't filled our prescription. Not sure why I'm being medicine avoidant, I am normally pro-meds, but it's just weird to me not to have any symptoms!
    My LO loves the medicine. It's pretty hilarious actually, she sucks it down like crazy, I have to slow her down in order to coat her mouth with it. It's pretty easy for us!
  • Options
    it was only annoying to give because you have to do it like 4 times a day and we just forgot a lot. We used a q-tip. She didn't mind the taste at all, it kind of smelled like bananas to me. I was not excited about giving her meds either, but if it was thrush I didn't want it to get worse for her and I really didn't want to get it. @myla14
  • Options
    A 10 day probiotic for you (3x a day) and baby (2 times a day) works as well. And coconut oil on the butt will also keep thrush from becoming a rash. 
  • Options
    myla14myla14 member
    edited June 2016
    .....10 days later, haven't gotten the meds. Still no symptoms for me and no diaper rash at all for LO, but he still has lots of white on his tongue, which I guess could still be milk. 
    I should try the probiotic, that couldn't hurt!