February 2016 Moms

pumping amounts

jarob747jarob747 member
edited May 2016 in February 2016 Moms
How much milk are you ladies pumping at a time at work for your LO? I don't seem to be pumping much. Only like 2-3 oz every  2-3 hours. My LO is eating more than that. It's only my 4 the day to work so it may get easier?? Idk. Maybe my supply is low? Pump not fitting right? Also do you get more than 1 let down? Should I be? I don't :(

Re: pumping amounts

• Are you pumping both sides at same time? I definitely pump more and faster when I double pump. I get about 7-8 ounces during my morning pump and about 6-7 ounces during my afternoon pump when double pumping. I seem to be keeping up with her demand for now while I'm at work. I nurse her before I leave for work and when I get home too.

As far as letdown, I usually have two. I initially have my pump on high speed and maximum suction until I letdown and then I move it to slower speed...once the flow stops, I speed it up again until I letdown. Drinking water, eating a light snack, or deep breathing also encourages my letdown.

What kind of pump are you using? How much time are you allowing yourself to pump?

• srecupidosrecupido member
    edited June 2016
    I haven't gone back yet but im paranoid about this!  A couple things to maybe keep in mind... How 
    much are you eating/drinking during the day? Are you stressed about work or your output? Are you looking at pictures of lo while pumping? Is whoever feeding lo using the paced method? I would def check your flange size and use the letdown feature on your pump. And the usual oatmeal/fenugreek suggestion. Good luck!!

ps If you do have to supplement you're still great!

edit bc post cut off
  • Loading the player...
  • VitaLunaVitaLuna member
    edited June 2016
    It's normal to get around 3-5oz. More than that is often an oversupply, so don't lust after those 7+oz pumpers. ;) 

You may need to try some supply boosters (oatmeal, flax, fenugreek, etc) while working, because the pump won't stimulate the same emptying that baby would. Tons of water and keep your food intake up. 

You should get more than one letdown. I get up to 3 in 20 minutes. Once the flow stops (or slows way down), press the letdown button on your pump. You won't get as much milk from subsequent letdowns, but it'll give you a little bit more. Also, try doing some breast compressions/massage them down while pumping. It should give you a good half ounce more. 

ETA: when you're about done, pump for a few minutes after it stops flowing to tell your body to keep making more. Don't turn it off just as soon as the milk stops. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• jarob747jarob747 member
    edited June 2016
    Thanks so much for the replies, I'm using a Medela Advanced freestyle double Electric. I seem to get most of that milk out in the first five minutes and I usually pump for about 10 to 15.I try to relax but it's really hard I usually end up just crying because I miss my baby. Today is my 5th day to work I hope it gets easier. What is the paced feeding method? I will definitely try these tips and I know I'm not drinking enough water so I will increase that. Thank you so much this is been very hard transition
  • If you YouTube pace feeding it should come
    up, it's a way to mimic breastfeeding with a bottle so lo doesn't guzzle and eat more than they would normally. I'm sure its agonizing being away but you are doing the best you can and your baby will
    love you no matter what! 
  • Definitely check your flange size. I discovered the medium that came with my Medela was too big. I ordered a small from Amazon and it's been much more comfortable and it seems to be helping with pumping more milk. I took fenugreek for a while and it also amped up production. Then, the more I read about it, the less confident I am that it's a good solution. While it does increase milk production, the milk is higher in lactose and lower in fat. 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • beharringtonbeharrington member
    edited June 2016
    I pump about 4oz every 3 hours at work (stayed on the same feeding schedule as my baby).  I drink an 8oz powerade every day to help with supply.  Doing this, I've been able to keep up with baby's demand and build a stash for emergencies.  I also pump almost every time I feed him (the breast he didn't feed from).

I only pump for 9ish minutes per session and double pump at the highest setting.
    BabyFruit Ticker

Feb16 October Siggy Challenge- Favorite Halloween Candy

Image result for reese's peanut butter cup pumpkin
  • Some days I pump great some days not so much . It varies I think depending on my stress level and how hydrated I am 
  • jarob747 said:
    Thanks so much for the replies, I'm using a Medela Advanced freestyle double Electric. I seem to get most of that milk out in the first five minutes and I usually pump for about 10 to 15.I try to relax but it's really hard I usually end up just crying because I miss my baby. Today is my 5th day to work I hope it gets easier. What is the paced feeding method? I will definitely try these tips and I know I'm not drinking enough water so I will increase that. Thank you so much this is been very hard transition
    Ty pumping at least 15. I also have a Freestyle (used a PISA for 14mo with DD1), and I typically push the button for a second letdown at around 8 minutes and around 12 minutes, depending on the flow. Flip through your phone and look at pics of your baby, try bringing a piece of their worn clothes or blanket to smell, or even a video of them fussing. All those things may help with letdown. You may have to add in an evening and/or weekend pumping session to keep up. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I pump 3 times a day at work for the 3 feeding I miss. The early day I usually get between 5 & 6 ounces and by the last time I only get between 3 & 4. From what the pediatrician said, that is normal. Breast fed babies don't change the amount they drink very much between the ages of 3 months and 6 months, so you don't have to produce that much. Your body knows what your baby needs. Keep up the good work!
  • PaniaOPaniaO member
    I'm only getting 4-5 oz every three hours. It's exactly the same every day, and amounts to three oz less than DS consumes while I'm gone, so I have to pump in the AM or night to hit my goal/day. Or else supplement with freezer stash. It's stressful, but I know I'm pumping a typical amount for someone without an oversupply. I would like to squeeze in another session somewhere, but I just can't reasonably fit in more sessions at work without missing too much time on the job. As long as supply doesn't dip further, I feel okay so far though. Good luck to you!
    S & A married 8.12.2013
    Expecting Saulie O 2.12.2016
  • 4N6s4N6s member
    I pump twice at work and get about 13-14 ounces. 
    Make sure you're staying hydrated! I drink over a gallon of water a day. Also, if you massage your breasts while pumping, you might get a bit more. 
  • Hydration is key for me. If I don't get 100+ ounces of water a day I don't pump as much. With my first I matched oz for oz when pumping. This time I'm getting double what he uses when I pump. Anywhere from 4-12 oz each time. I think it's because I more relaxed. I also pump in the car to and from work. Since I only work 3-5 hours I don't pump at work.
    Also if I feel my supply is dipping I'll do a power pump once a day for 3 days. That's when you pump 10min rest 10min and repeat 2 more times
    My cousin has had success with the fenugreek.