February 2016 Moms

Lightheaded while BFing

Every day starts out good, but by the afternoon whenever I pump or nurse my LO I get lightheaded or dizzy. It gets worse as the day goes by like my life is literally being sucked out of my nipples. Has anyone else experienced this? If so, what did you do for it?

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

Re: Lightheaded while BFing

• Are you drinking enough water ??? This was happening to me for a while I've had to up my calories (snack more often) and double up what I was drinking and so far so good . Good luck hope you can feel better soon 
  • I was going to say dehydration too. I sometimes feel like that when I haven't had enough water. Also Gatorade(electrolytes) helps too. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Hasn't happened this time, but it did happen last time when I was pumping at work for DS1. I would get lightheaded/super nauseated to the point that I took a pregnancy test bc I was worried I was pregnant again. Tons of water seemed to help some, but still randomly happened. Never happened while I was nursing though. 
  • This has never happened to me. But first thing I think of is hydration. Definitly drink a lot of water, try Gatorade too. Are you getting light headed while sitting down? 
  • Yes I am usually sitting when it happens. I drank a Gatorade last night and it seemed to help. 

• This happened to me when I was pregnant. It's an awful feeling. I was anemic. Could it be something like that?
  • I think it has something to do with a hormone surge during let down. It happened to me when I pumped also but I would get sick to my stomach like morning sickness.
  • jadkins2 said:
    I think it has something to do with a hormone surge during let down. It happened to me when I pumped also but I would get sick to my stomach like morning sickness.
    That makes sense because it does happen worse right at the beginning of nursing or pumping. I'll have to try to pay attention today if it happens again if I'm feeling let down at the same time.

• Are you feeling better during nursing? I had to stop I couldn’t take any more with my first. So this baby I only did formula.  I am just really sensitive to hormones. Probably why I had morning sickness my entire pregnancy both times. Gross feeling that's for sure.
  • I've discovered a really big part of it is exhaustion. The more tired I am, the worse it is. It is definitely stronger during let down, but it's not as bad as it was. It was to the point that I almost fell a few times.

• 4N6s4N6s member
    The same thing happens to me!! I asked my midwife about it and she said she's never heard of it happening... 
    I drink over a gallon a day and eat a lot, so I don't know what the issue is.