February 2016 Moms

Sleep after baby rolls over

So our LO will be 16 weeks tomorrow. She was starting to learn rolling back to belly, and as of today any time she's down completely rolls over, successfully, from back to belly. DH is now freaking out about having her swaddled in the rock n play for sleep because he thinks she'll roll over and suffocate. While, of course, I am concerned about her as well. I think she might be ok for a little longer because of how baby sits in the rnp. We have the pack n play in the room and I planned on moving her to that and I guess jist in pjs? What did/do you ladies do after baby started rolling?

Re: Sleep after baby rolls over

• LO is 17 weeks and she just started rolling in the past week and I was worried about the same thing because she naps in the rnp with an arms out swaddle.  But I'm with you on the way they sit in the rnp, once she's in it, she pretty much stops trying to roll and is more interested in trying to sit up to look around and once she's asleep she stops moving altogether.  She hasn't rolled in her sleep at night yet but I'm less worried about that because we put her in her crib in just pj's so if she rolls over she should be fine.  I say see how she does with naps and go from there.  You could always start transitioning her to the pack and play for naps too before moving her there overnight.  My best friend kept her LO in the rnp until 6mos with a swaddle and she never had problems with rolling in it.
  • kaym6kaym6 member
    My baby slept swaddled in the crib and once he started rolling we moved him into a zipadee zip. That thing is amazing! It took about 4 or 5 nights to get used too and now he loves it! I'm lurking from J16 haha 
  • Loading the player...
  • jarob747jarob747 member
    edited June 2016
    My LO is 17 weeks today. We haven't swaddled him since he was 12 weeks. He took a few nights of wiggling like crazy, but now sleeps fine. He sleeps in our bed in a co sleeper so he uses or blankets. He rolled over in his sleep during a nap yesterday on our bed and I heard him went in to check on him and he was on his tummy sound asleep. Freaked me out because of the soft bedding. His face was down. No more napping on the bed. From now on... the crib it is if he can sleep long enough for me to get him there for a nap. He catnaps only. 
  • Definitely don't swaddle in the crib/PnP, but I think the rock n play is fine for now since it would take a whole lot of effort to turn in it. I'd probably start trying to transition out of the swaddle now (while still in the RnP), so that you're not trying to transition to the crib AND no swaddle at the same time. 

As for what to wear, we do regular cotton footed sleepers with a Halo sleep sack on top.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I had LO swaddled until about 7 weeks or so but I have had her in her crib since 6 weeks. I think it will be hard in the rnp to roll but it may not last long. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I stopped swaddling about a week ago, LO hasn't been rolling back to belly at all, but he was kicking his blanket off quite a bit in the night. Now he either does just footed jammies or that with a sleep sack, cotton or fleece depending on how hot or cold it is (in the 80's last week and 40's today). From what I've read it seems like it is recommended to stop swaddling once they can get out of the blanket or roll over, usually around the 4 month mark.
  • I just bought a zipadee zip! I am excited to get it. My first was swaddled for 10 months because she would not sleep without it. That sucks cause she rolled in it and now they advise against swaddling. So thankful nothing ever happened.
  • robinj716robinj716 member
    edited June 2016
    We stopped swaddling a few weeks ago when LO showed signs of rolling. He still naps in the rock n play and we swaddle with a Muslin blanket. Like another posted said, he's more worried about sitting up in the RnP than rolling, and once he goes asleep he doesn't move. At night we put him in the crib in the footie pajamas and if he rolls onto his belly we just roll him back! 

ETA: if he rolls onto his belly when he's asleep we leave him, but if he rolls when he's awake we turn him back, because he hasn't quite learned to roll back yet and he gets frustrated and screams. Found him like this today! 

• Thanks ladies. We decided to keep her in the rnp and transition. Her to the pack n play within the next month. We're no longer swaddling her! She wakes up flailing her arms a lot but she's good! I'll look into the zipadee zip thing! I have seen sleep sacks just don't want her to get too hot.
  • Thanks ladies. We decided to keep her in the rnp and transition. Her to the pack n play within the next month. We're no longer swaddling her! She wakes up flailing her arms a lot but she's good! I'll look into the zipadee zip thing! I have seen sleep sacks just don't want her to get too hot.
    My LO runs VERY hot and she slept in sleep sacks for the first 3 months. We used the halo sleep sacks and they worked great. We didn't put anything on under them and always have a ceiling fan on