August 2016 Moms
Options

STMs - Picking c-section date

My OB has decided that we're scheduling a C-section if Baby Boy doesn't make his appearance by 39 weeks, due to me having a chiari malformation.  [Insert long complicated story about visiting every -ologist in town.]  I know I'm thinking way ahead here, and obviously the first question is when the doctor is available, but for those that had scheduled C-sections before, any advice on day of the week, time of day, etc. etc.?  Thanks!!

Re: STMs - Picking c-section date

• Options
    Not speaking from experience but I know my bff picked the first or second slot of the day because you have to fast beforehand. Plus there's less chance of you being bumped back if you're first up. 
  • Options
    I can't schedule mine until I'm 32 weeks, but we have started to talk about it, and at my next check-up I'll be just about at that point!  I'm planning to schedule mine as early in the morning as possible because I don't do well with fasting.  I was the last appointment the morning that I had my egg retrieval surgery, and I seriously almost fainted a couple times.  I also think I'm going to pick a Friday so that most of my hospital time is over the weekend and DH doesn't waste his paternity leave in the hospital - it'll give us more time at home.
    DD  <3 6/15/2014
    Baby #2 due 8/11/2016

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm asking my doctor about when we will schedule it at my appointment on Wednesday. I'm going to try for early morning as well. 
  • Options
    Agree with PPs on getting first time of the day because of fasting! My water ended up breaking with DD a week before my scheduled c-section. I had to wait for so long (min 8 hrs since your last food/drink) because I had some water and a little bit of cookie right before I realized what was going on.

My OB said sometimes it's harder getting a Friday/Saturday due to demand as people want to use the weekend for recovery. I scheduled my first on a Sunday (I think 7am). 
    Baby #1: Palmer Olivia - October 2014
    Baby #2: Emmeline Grey - August 2016
    Baby #3: BFP 9/7/18  |  EDD 05/24/19
  • Options
    Thanks, ladies! Early morning seems to be the way to go.  I also still get a little queasy when I don't eat, and this morning the 6:30-8:30 gap between allowed breakfast and getting to eat again after blood draw was unpleasant!!
  • Options
    I had a CS with  my 1st, but didn't have an option for anything. Had low fluid issues and was having weekly checkups and at 37.5 week appointment my Dr said "we need to deliver tomorrow". So, they gave me the date and the time (2pm). Fasting wasn't too bad, it was the not able to even drink water!!! I was soooo thirsty. So, I would recommend doing it as early in the day as possible. You still can't drink hours after, I don't think I've ever been so thirsty!!

This time around I also have to have another CS, I am having to deliver at 38 weeks, I picked Aug 1st (a few days over 38 days but they are OK with that). When it comes to scheduling a time, I will do it hopefully in the morning.

Another tid bit- I thought I was so smart getting a gel mani & pedi the day before so at least my toes and hands looked good. But, they called me the morning of the CS to go over some last minute things and said "No makeup, no jewelry, no nail polish". Getting that fresh gel mani off was a pain in the neck.
    Lilypie - Eu0n
    BFP: 12/3/15     EDD: 8/11/16     IT'S A BOY!!!
    MAXIMUS POWERS   8♥5♥16

Lilypie - pXE7
    BFP: 8/5/13      EDD: 4/13/14     IT'S A GIRL!!!      
    AYLA BLAIR   3♥27♥14

• Options
    Did any STMs find the hospital to be less staffed on the weekend, or any concerns like that?
  • Options
    Agree with PPs on getting first time of the day because of fasting! My water ended up breaking with DD a week before my scheduled c-section. I had to wait for so long (min 8 hrs since your last food/drink) because I had some water and a little bit of cookie right before I realized what was going on.

My OB said sometimes it's harder getting a Friday/Saturday due to demand as people want to use the weekend for recovery. I scheduled my first on a Sunday (I think 7am). 
    REALLY???  Mine wasn't an emergency, and I was eating/drinking right up until we decided that we were done trying for vaginal birth.  DD was born 90 mins later, they didn't make me wait even though I hadn't been fasting.
    DD  <3 6/15/2014
    Baby #2 due 8/11/2016

• Options
    Did any STMs find the hospital to be less staffed on the weekend, or any concerns like that?
    I sorta hope it's less staffed....maybe then they won't come barging in to do vitals checks every 30 seconds uuuugh! 
    DD  <3 6/15/2014
    Baby #2 due 8/11/2016

• Options
    I had a CS with  my 1st, but didn't have an option for anything. Had low fluid issues and was having weekly checkups and at 37.5 week appointment my Dr said "we need to deliver tomorrow". So, they gave me the date and the time (2pm). Fasting wasn't too bad, it was the not able to even drink water!!! I was soooo thirsty. So, I would recommend doing it as early in the day as possible. You still can't drink hours after, I don't think I've ever been so thirsty!!

This time around I also have to have another CS, I am having to deliver at 38 weeks, I picked Aug 1st (a few days over 38 days but they are OK with that). When it comes to scheduling a time, I will do it hopefully in the morning.

Another tid bit- I thought I was so smart getting a gel mani & pedi the day before so at least my toes and hands looked good. But, they called me the morning of the CS to go over some last minute things and said "No makeup, no jewelry, no nail polish". Getting that fresh gel mani off was a pain in the neck.
    It's so weird how hospitals have such different protocols.  I had all my nails done - no one made me take any nail polish off, and I was allowed to keep my wedding rings on (well, the fakes one I was wearing since my real ones didn't fit my sausage fingers).  I was also allowed to drink at least water immediately while I was in recovery.  In fact, I had to because they kept giving me pills for pain, so I needed to drink the water with that regardless. 
    DD  <3 6/15/2014
    Baby #2 due 8/11/2016

• Options
    My doc picked my date last time and he already scheduled mine for this pregnancy since he'll be out of town for a few days around the time I could schedule. My only request is the be the morning csection. (He does an 8am and then a noon section). I was the late one for my first LO and fasting all morning was terrible! 

TTC 9/2013

BFP#1: 9/28/2013, EDD 5/28/13, MC confirmed 10/15/13, D&C 10/17/13

BFP#2: 1/10/2014, EDD 9/19/2014

• Options
    28 week appointment, and the OB said we're going to schedule a C-section at 39 weeks, but we didn't actually set it yet.  I know people often don't schedule until 36 weeks or so, so I didn't think anything of not actually scheduling today.  But now I wonder if some of you ladies have already scheduled!
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure that hospitals have to have a certain amount of people on at all times (though they may or may not have "extras" like lactation consultants on 24/7 on weekends).  But I will say that when I went into labor on a Sunday there were no scheduled C sections or inductions so it was just me and another woman who delivered shortly after I got there.  It was so nice and quiet and I basically had the entire floor's attention while I was there. 

Though for a C section, since it's surgery they would have to have the required amount of people in the room so I double there would be much difference for you no matter what day it is.
  • Options
    @Curls919 - The quiet/more attention if needed sounds nice, but having the extras available, like the lactation consultant, also sounds good to this FTM!
  • Options
    @Curls919 - The quiet/more attention if needed sounds nice, but having the extras available, like the lactation consultant, also sounds good to this FTM!
    It all depends on your hospital.  I gave birth after 9pm on a Sunday but the LC wouldn't have come to meet with me until the next morning anyway (there may have been one there when I delivered but it wouldn't have made a difference).  I know my friend who is an LC outside of Chicago was hired because her hospital didn't previously have anyone working nights over the weekends and they wanted more coverage.
  • Options
    @SkiChic626 yes! It was miserable. DD was breech so it technically wasn't an emergency. I was literally crying through contractions begging for ice chips because I kept getting bumped for emergency situations. I wouldn't have cared about the food but no water, mints, gum, ice chips, anything... That was the worst. I think had it been an emergency or if I was even dialated at all, they may have overlooked the food/water rule. I finally got some ice chips as soon as I got back into the recovery room. 
    Baby #1: Palmer Olivia - October 2014
    Baby #2: Emmeline Grey - August 2016
    Baby #3: BFP 9/7/18  |  EDD 05/24/19
  • Options
    It's interesting to read everyone's stories. I assumed all c-sections were scheduled for morning. Now you've got me sweating. I was hoping for early morning, last time was unplanned, after 8pm, I was a total zombie and it sucked. Also, fasting. Yuck. I also can't schedule until 32 weeks, so I have to wait. It's really making me antsy. 
  • Options
    I would schedule in the morning. I ended up having mine at 10pm, after days of labor.  Although it was great to wake up and be able to walk around right away, it was a long hard first night with my dd.  I was exhausted and could barely stay awake to feed baby.  It was definitely rough and we didn't get pictures or really get to spend time with her (too tired) until the next day.  Fasting all day would be horrible, too.  
  • Options
    KJ1416KJ1416 member
    I'm so glad to see all the information on this thread!  I'm a repeat c/s and recently scheduled mine. 

I'm schedule for 2 days before baby's due date. Obviously, I'm a little worried I'll go into labor. My OBs normal policy is to do them at 39 weeks, but she's out of town and the first 2 days she's back are all booked already. Evidently the hospital has no rule on how early you can schedule, and some of the other OBs are scheduling after their patient's second pregnancy appointment. 

It sounds like a morning appointment is the way to go!  I hadn't thought about the fasting rule, but I remember reading that a few years ago. My precious was an emergency c/s. I was originally trying for a noon appointment so I could sleep in. 
  • Options
    CCovCCov member
    I am 27 weeks currently and scheduled my c/s for 39 weeks in the morning. my doctor told me the hospital will call me and scheudule a time some time in the next couple weeks. I had an emergency c/s with my first after being in labor for 13 hours and oh man was that rough. I was super sick since I had eaten the day before. My water broke on its own and I went into labor so I had eaten dinner and everything. The c/s meds made me so ill. That's why if i can be first this time it would be better for me. I had no idea about the no nail polish stuff though, thats a bummer. I wanted to get my nails done too!
  • Options
    Mine is scheduled for August 5, and my due date is the 16th. My obstetrician also doesn't want me going over 39 weeks, and will be on holiday at that time, so I'm having it done at 38 weeks. My first was an emergency c-section, and I had laboured in the hospital all night beforehand, so this one will be better. 
  • Options
    asked the OB about scheduling today and he said the new national rules say not to schedule until 39 weeks, so they can't/won't schedule me until then... the problem is I went into labor with both my other kids exactly at 38 weeks. So if they don't let me schedule it with my first choice, top rated surgeon, then I will end up with whomever is on call. Really disappointed with this. My first delievry was with a non-experienced OB and they messed me up on the inside which took away all my chances for a VBAC... so really want a dr. who knows what they are doing. :/
    Married - 4/7/07
    Son #1- 2/15/08
    Son #2- 8/18/10
    Baby 3 due 8/8/16
  • Options
    My Dr. said since it's my third C/S he'd schedule anytime after 38 weeks. We're hoping for Thursday or Friday morning. (Due on 29th, possible c/s on 18 or 19th).
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

A few days over 31 weeks now, and scheduled the C-section today for Thurs., Aug. 4, at 7 AM!

And now it feels really odd to have a scheduled date! It feels less weird to say I scheduled an evict-by date and not a birthdate... anyone else feel that way?

• Options
    lblu43lblu43 member
    @kwilliams3402 Absolutely! This was actually my comment to my doc during our last appt. The entire thought,  of just going- checking in- and then they just "pull him out". It seems completely alien. I had a C with DS, but it was after 2 days of contractions and hrs out labor. With peanut, she wants no later than 39wks. 

The caveat though- my OB will be on vacation that wk!!!! Wth?! So we've tracked down the OB that handled my ectopic last yr. Thankfully she is available, but only one day. So if he doesn't come before his bday will be 8/4. So strange.
  • Options
    @lblu43 - Mine is a little bit of a weird situation why we're doing a C-section, so I find myself going back and forth recently wondering if we're doing the right thing.  So, I am fond of saying Baby Boy will arrive by 7 AM August 4th, and we'll either do it at the scheduled C-section time, or if God has other plans, he'll follow those instead!
  • Options
    lblu43lblu43 member
    @kwilliams3402 Sounds like we are in the same boat! Good thoughts to both our lil boys. :)
  • Options
    My hospital just called me with a date and time. There wasn't any picking to do. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @ebilbao, The nurse first called today and said I was scheduled for Weds, Aug 3 at Noon, but when I asked if I had any choices, she was very quick to look at the Thurs time. I wonder if you ask if you'll get a choice?