April 2016 Moms
Options

Baby has a cold

runningwildrunningwild member
edited June 2016 in April 2016 Moms
So DD3 has a cold. She caught it from older DD. Anyone else's baby had a cold yet? She is 2 months officially as of yesterday. 2 month checkup is tomorrow, so good timing I suppose. 

My older 2 never got sick this young, so I feel kind of at a loss for what to do. She's running a low temp and is snotty and fussy. 

eta-- I'm giving Tylenol per Pedi's instructions, and using saline drops and the snot sucker bulb. 

Re: Baby has a cold

• Options
    myla14myla14 member
    Aw. My baby has already caught 2 colds from his 2 yo brother, one in his first week of life. Fortunately they stayed fairly mild and didn't seem to impede his feeding, which is the worst. I think all you can do is saline, snot sucker, incline sleeping, and humidifier. I read the snot sucker can inflame their nasal passages and make congestion worse if overused, so I did more saline and often he'd sneeze out some mucus after. Good luck!
  • Options
    myla14 said:
    Aw. My baby has already caught 2 colds from his 2 yo brother, one in his first week of life. Fortunately they stayed fairly mild and didn't seem to impede his feeding, which is the worst. I think all you can do is saline, snot sucker, incline sleeping, and humidifier. I read the snot sucker can inflame their nasal passages and make congestion worse if overused, so I did more saline and often he'd sneeze out some mucus after. Good luck!
    Oh that's terrible. Poor baby.

Thanks for the tips. I live in Florida where it's humid as hell... do you think we'd still need a humidifier? 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My baby got a cold at six weeks. Poor guy was so congested. He ran a low to high fever depending on the day. It lasted two weeks. He's still congested in the mornings. It started out with a sore throat too. I only know that because I caught it from him. Head aches... And yuck.

Anyway, all we could do was saline drops. Our pediatrician doesn't like Tylenol for babies so young unless it's an emergency. I used the snot sucker (not a bulb) because it worked better. He even laughed if he was in a good mood. Humidifier (even though it was really humid out).
    i

• Options
    edited June 2016
    My baby had a brief tummy virus, diarrhea and low fever. We watched for signs of dehydration, and as a preventive between every other daytime feeding he got an oz of Pedialyte. It lasted about a week before it fully cleared his system.
  • Options
    myla14myla14 member
    You can always bring him into the bathroom during a shower instead of committing to the humidifier since that does seem redundant in Florida:). 
  • Options
    DD had a cold at 4 weeks. I would use saline/nosefrida sparingly when she was congested and having trouble clearing it herself but otherwise it just ran its course. 
  • Options
    helleebelleehelleebellee member
    edited June 2016
    Autumn has had 2 stomach bugs, rsv, and is now sick with another cold type thing.  She has a cough,  stuffy nose, and is throwing up. Her temp has never gone over 100, so we do frequent showers and run a cool mist humidifier.  I also have a homemade vapor rub that works wonders for her cough. I think she might have seasonal allergy issues, too.  Her two month check up is Monday.  I'm hoping her Dr has suggestions to help her.  
  • Options
    @SweetBriarBee poor baby. Hope she feels better. How do you make your homemade vapor rub?