July 2016 Moms

UO Thursday

share those unpopular opinions! 

Re: UO Thursday

• Maybe it's because I got like 3 hours of sleep but my UO is having to redirect those threads that have been discussed ad nauseum. 

Or the assumption that I do it the most seeing that I haven't actually done this in awhile. Again exhausted feeling like crap and today give no flying Effs 
  • Loading the player...
  • Maybe it's because I got like 3 hours of sleep but my UO is having to redirect those threads that have been discussed ad nauseum. 

Or the assumption that I do it the most seeing that I haven't actually done this in awhile. Again exhausted feeling like crap and today give no flying Effs 

Nooooooo! You do it the BEST! Not the most, silly!

God I wish we all had our energy back. I feel like a winded old bag. Seems like that is a consensus around here nowadays.

• nikkimarie159nikkimarie159 member
    edited June 2016
    LDSJM123 said:
    my UO is I think its weird for people to breastfeed their toddler.. I understand its natural and whatnot and kudos to you for keeping up with it for so long, but I think its creepy having your three year old sucking on your tatas.  
    Extended breastfeeding is no more "creepy" than nursing an infant. It's not sucking on your "tatas" it's nourishing and sustaining your child, you know, what "tatas" are on our body for. The United States (culture) compared to other countries (culture) is the only place that doesn't fully support extended breast feeding. By comparison, and it's quite sad really. Every reputable source will tell you that extended breastfeeding has a laundry list of benefits. Verbage like creepy, isn't going to help change the stigma. 

Breastfeeding your child past infancy is NORMAL

• The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that “Breastfeeding should be continued for at least the first year of life and beyond for as long as mutually desired by mother and child… Increased duration of breastfeeding confers significant health and developmental benefits for the child and the mother… There is no upper limit to the duration of breastfeeding and no evidence of psychologic or developmental harm from breastfeeding into the third year of life or longer.” (AAP 2012, AAP 2005)
    • The American Academy of Family Physiciansrecommends that breastfeeding continue throughout the first year of life and that “As recommended by the WHO, breastfeeding should ideally continue beyond infancy, but this is not the cultural norm in the United States and requires ongoing support and encouragement. It has been estimated that a natural weaning age for humans is between two and seven years. Family physicians should be knowledgeable regarding the ongoing benefits to the child of extended breastfeeding, including continued immune protection, better social adjustment, and having a sustainable food source in times of emergency. The longer women breastfeed, the greater the decrease in their risk of breast cancer.” They also note that “If the child is younger than two years of age, the child is at increased risk of illness if weaned.” (AAFP 2008)

I understand that that they're supposed to nourish and sustain a child, and I should have used a different adjective to describe it, so I apologize. But, I guess that's what makes this an unpopular opinion! 

Edit: because the bump ate my post. 
  • The further I get into pregnancy the more I can't stand people or find people annoying.
    Yes. Beyond fucking over it. I have no desire to deal with anyone, they are all just awful. 
  • @Kellyj103 I'm jealous. I wish I had parents like yours!
    "I still think I am the greatest."
     - Kanye West

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @MamaBish that's my mom! She always remembers to bring up all the "what ifs" at the worst possible time, even in a positive situation! This is why I avoid her at all costs.
  • My UO, I prefer "Grease 2" to "Grease"
  • My UO, I prefer "Grease 2" to "Grease"
    My DH agrees with you! He knows all the words!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    🌈  Preemie 2016  🌈
    ♥ Stillborn 2015 

• @MamaBish I obviously don't know your DH, but I like his style
  • @dolewhipper That kid is just creepy no matter what he's doing so that's different
  • My UO- I profession is in veterinary medicine, so my world pretty much revolves around animals.  I have 2 animals.  Unfortunately most animal do-gooders are batsh*t crazy and feel that they should impose all their feels upon you.  While I love my dogs, they are in fact dogs and I will not treat them as I do my child. His well-being comes first. Period.  So don't come up to very pregnant lady carrying her 30 lb toddler trying to get her dog back in the house and yell at her for being a terrible dog owner!  Keep your old judgmental self at home!  You have 0 clue about me or my home and you have no idea what I do to keep my little, a**hole dog in my backyard. She's gotten out 2 days this week and a few other times over the past few months. Side-note: I live in a rental house and our neighbors tree fell into our yard and damaged the fence that separates our yards (it is their fence) among other things.  They have yet to fix any of these things and my landlord is already out of pocket the expense to clean up the giant tree.  She is suing them for damages and such.  We have repaired the fence to the best of our ability, financially.  Our German Shepherd we have 0 problems with but our Boston Terrier X has figured out a million ways to escape and run down the street.  With my husband on 2nd shift, being 8 almost 9 months pregnant, and having a toddler to keep up with I have just about 0 f's to give if she gets out at this point.  I'm really at my wits end and I cannot chase her down. I do realize the potential of her being injured or being killed. I do know this.  We have located and fixed numerous points of exit, we have done everything but replace the fence.  Which isn't happening. I can't.  If I owned the house it would be a different story but I don't.  I can't wait till we find/buy a house this fall.  Anyone want a boston terrier x? J/K. Maybe.
    July Siggy Challenge

BabyName Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • NerdchildNerdchild member
    edited June 2016
    @randishane011804 Most people would describe me as a 'batshit dog lady' (They wear seatbelts and *legit* cold weather gear, I brush their teeth, etc.) but dogs are happiest when they have a firm place in the hierarchy and rules that fit. Babying a dog =/= responsible pet ownership/companionship. 

Eta: The above was meant to agree with your sentiments that dogs aren't babies, even to a 'batshit dog lady' ;)

How about one of these for your little escape artist until the fence is fixed? No judgement here, my neurotic lab is the bad influence escape artist in my house. She's only gotten out twice when the gardener failed to close the gate, but when she bolts, she bolts.

• @Nerdchild you're the good kind!  :)  My dogs actually also wear seatbelts!  We had thought about something along those lines, but really it would have to be a outdoor kennel with a top and a concrete floor.  She's a total Houdini dog!  Which if were planning on staying longer I would totally do!  But realistically we are moving this fall and with a new baby on the way I cannot sink a grand into something like that to not be able to take it with us or even just the kennel. I would also need permission from my landlord for the concrete floor and I'm not sure she'd go for it.
    July Siggy Challenge

• @randishane011804 Oh man, she's one of those. I have one of those dogs, mine is just 55 lbs and easier to catch. Trying to catch little dogs is like trying to catch a snake in a pool of lubed noodles. I have no words for how bad I feel for you right now....
  • I feel you, @randishane011804. We have a Boston. We've come a long way training him to listen. He was so much worse when he was younger!! They never really lose their energy tho. Even at 9, he can outlast most other pups! Is there anything reasonably priced you can buy maybe at like Home Depot? When we were doing fence repair with our neighbors my husband bought some cheap temp fence crap that at least kept them pinned up. If she's that mischievous tho she might escape even that. Maybe she's making herself an indoor dog, hahaha!! 
  • @TiffRox81 I totally understand! She's 6 almost 7 years old and hasn't slowed a bit!  The way the tree damaged the fence the whole thing needs replacing, the way the tree fell it crushed a large section of the fence and the rest of that side of the fence was then loosened at the ground.  We have repaired it in the most obvious places, but it's also a chain link fence so there's only so much actual "repairing" one can do. I honestly have no clue where she's getting out at this point.  We are going to look over the whole thing again this weekend to see if we can figure it out and go from there.  The only thing I truly know to do at this point is limit her time outside unsupervised. It's going to suck for me and her, because I really don't have time in the mornings (which is when this lovely problem occurs) to give her more than enough time to just pee/poop and come back in.  In the evenings and on weekends me and DS are generally outside playing so she doesn't escape then.  The thing is it's not like she can't come back inside or doesn't have anything to do because she can and does. She's just an a$$hole.
    July Siggy Challenge

• @TiffRox81 I totally understand! She's 6 almost 7 years old and hasn't slowed a bit!  The way the tree damaged the fence the whole thing needs replacing, the way the tree fell it crushed a large section of the fence and the rest of that side of the fence was then loosened at the ground.  We have repaired it in the most obvious places, but it's also a chain link fence so there's only so much actual "repairing" one can do. I honestly have no clue where she's getting out at this point.  We are going to look over the whole thing again this weekend to see if we can figure it out and go from there.  The only thing I truly know to do at this point is limit her time outside unsupervised. It's going to suck for me and her, because I really don't have time in the mornings (which is when this lovely problem occurs) to give her more than enough time to just pee/poop and come back in.  In the evenings and on weekends me and DS are generally outside playing so she doesn't escape then.  The thing is it's not like she can't come back inside or doesn't have anything to do because she can and does. She's just an a$$hole.
    Ahhh so annoying. For the times you cannot supervise her, have you considering hooking her collar up to a really long chain/durable leash instead of letting her run free in the yard?
  • @kellz14 yeah it's on my list of things she might be acquiring this weekend!
    July Siggy Challenge

• @PootsDragon That started me in an argument with my mother on Mother's day. She posted multiple times on facebook (at least 4) on mother's day: "Happy mother's day to all the dog moms out there" and nothing about mothers in general. When I called her out on it started WWIII between her and I. I have a dog and a cat and I agree with you that comparing dogs/cats to human children is nonsensical. This also comes up repeatedly from my childless co-workers. Infuriating.