October 2016 Moms
Options

Book Challenge Week of 5/30

Sorry I didn't post yesterday but my FI's biological Dad came to our house it was my first time meeting him AND his first time meeting his Grandkids! (That's a whole other post though LOL) Happy Reading!

Title of Book:

Author:

Category from Book Challenge:

Review/Thoughts:

Re: Book Challenge Week of 5/30

• Options
    I actually had time to read over the weekend! 

Title of Book:

The Nest 
    Author:
    Cynthia Sweeney
    An author I've never read 
    Review/Thoughts:
    I got this suggestion based on similar books from Goodreads. I didn't really like it until the very end. There were a lot of characters to keep straight, and it was the type of book where each chapter was a different character's voice, but it also switched between past and present also, which was rather confusing. Close to the end, the flashbacks kinda stopped, so it was easier and more enjoyable to follow. Overall, the story was interesting and I liked the ending, but I don't think I would choose it again. 
  • Options
    kmtz89kmtz89 member
    Title of Book: Same Kind of Different as Me

Author:  Denver Moore, Lynn Vincent, and Ron Hall

Category from Book Challenge: I'll be honest, I'm not using the list...

Review/Thoughts: Up until maybe halfway through I didn't realize the "author" was changing. So once I figured that out and had my "ahhhhhh ha!" moment it all started coming together more. It was an interesting read for sure, especially thinking about the Black Lives Matter movement. I read it within a week, since sleeping is still difficult, and didn't feel like it was "lagging" or hard to stay interested. It was a good read and I believe still quite relevant. 
    *American lady living in Tanzania.
    DH - Tanzanian Maasai 
    BFP #1 - MC Dec 2, 2015 (@ 9weeks)
    BFP #2 - Feb 2, 2016 --EDD 10/10/16 --Abigail- October 6, 2016. Heart warrior.
    October 2017- Began fostering to adopt T, (DOB:November 19, 2013)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Title of Book: 
    The Secret Life of CeeCee Wilkes
    Author:
    Diane Chamberlain
    Book with a Female Heroine 
    Review/Thoughts:
    I liked this book but didn't love it.  It was a little unbelievable.  The main character was very naive. I'm close to the end of the book and haven't seen any real progress from the character.  She made a stupid decision when she was young and deals with the consequences (both positive and negative) for the rest of her life but never seems to learn from them.   I was annoyed by the character most of the book because of the lack of growth.  Story is unbelievable.  Even though it was set before the explosion of technology it's still not believable that she was never traced to the incident.  I'll finish it but it won't go into my list of favorites.  
  • Options

Title of Book: The Girl on the Train           

Author: Paula Hawkins

Category from Book Challenge: A book that was made into a movie (though it doesn’t come out in the U.S. until October)

Review/Thoughts: This seemed like a cheap “Gone Girl” rip-off to me.  It flashed from one narrator to another, all of them unreliable.  The plot revolved around a missing wife, presumed to have been killed by the husband.  The twist ending was pretty obvious ¾ of the way through the book.  I liked Gone Girl but I didn’t really enjoy this book.

• Options
    Well my massive hunk of a German book is sometimes too much effort to read when I'm pregnant (aka tired and stressed), so I took 2 evenings to read an old favorite I specifically bought after my BFP because I think it should belong in every childhood library.
    Title of Book:

Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH
    Author:
    Robert C. O'Brien
    A book set on a vineyard or farm (while this is true, for me it was more of a "Book you had to read in school and loved because you were THAT student")
    Review/Thoughts:
    At its heart, this is a story about a mother who faces several challenges in trying to save her young son. Though she is only a mouse, she is a strong central character. In trying to do so, she comes into contact with a group of especially odd rats who help her avoid the certain death of Farmer Fitzgibbon's plow. In her communication, she learns the background story of the rats, how they escaped from the laboratories of NIMH after undergoing elaborate intelligence experiments. At the end, Mrs. Frisby (mouse mama) is able to repay the rat's generosity and help them survive as well. All in all an easy, feel-good read, interesting for anyone over the age of 8, but especially for those interested in morality, culture and sacrifice.
    DS#1 born 05 October 2016
    DS#2  due 25 April 2019
  • Options
    @ignoscemihi Oh man, Gone Girl MESSED ME UP for like a solid week. What a book! I had The Girl on a Train on my potential reading list, so thanks for the comparison.
    DS#2  due 25 April 2019
  • Options
    Title of Book: The Girl in 6E

Author: 
    A.R. Torre 

Category of Book Challenge: 
    Book with a red cover (even though it also falls into a book a friend thought I'd like)

Review/Thoughts: 
    I like this book, mainly for the extreme sexual nature (the main character is a web cam girl) and the short chapters (which makes me feel like I'm moving through the book quickly).  It's different, a little morbid, but enjoyable.  My one complaint is about the climax - I feel like it was rushed and a bit of a let down.  It definitely could have been dragged out, leaving me in more suspense but it almost felt like an afterthought.  It is a book series so I'll eventually read book 2, but for now I'm onto a different book my friend thought I'd like - "Malice" by Lisa Jackson.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @ignoscemihi Oh man, Gone Girl MESSED ME UP for like a solid week. What a book! I had The Girl on a Train on my potential reading list, so thanks for the comparison.
    Same here!!! I loved the book, didn't see that coming but I didn't like the movie!
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options

Title of Book:  All the Bright Places

Author: Jennifer Niven

Category from Book Challenge: A book with a blue cover

Review/Thoughts: I’m doing a book challenge through the library, and I chose this as my YA book.  It’s about two high school seniors, Violet and Theodore, who meet when they’re both at the top of the school bell tower contemplating suicide.  Theodore ends up talking Violet down and that’s how their relationship begins.  I just finished this book yesterday and I spent the last 20 pages crying my eyes out.  But I’m not sure if that was because it was a good book or because it was a manipulative book.  The book just didn’t seem realistic to me.  I don’t know teenagers (or anyone, really) who talk the way the characters in the book talk.  I also don’t know any parents who would act the way the parents in the book act.  It just felt like big chunks were missing from the plot and character development.  But it wasn’t a terrible book and I did read the whole thing (and cry toward the end).  It just felt underdeveloped. 

• Options

Title of Book:

Salt to the Sea
    Author:
    Ruta Sepetys
    A book published this year 
    Review/Thoughts:
    This book is set during World War II, and follows the stories of 3 refugees and 1 German soldier, and how their stories intertwine. It alternated between each of their voices- sometimes several pages, and sometimes only a few sentences. Because of that, I found it very difficult to get to know each character and remember details about them until about halfway through. I really wanted to love this, but I just couldn't. The ending seemed very abrupt after all the detail from the beginning, though I am glad the author flashed into the future to show what happened in the end. Overall, just an okay book. I'm really hoping I love the next one because I've had two in a row that I didn't love :( 
  • Options

Title of Book: The Girl on the Train           

Author: Paula Hawkins

Category from Book Challenge: A book that was made into a movie (though it doesn’t come out in the U.S. until October)

Review/Thoughts: This seemed like a cheap “Gone Girl” rip-off to me.  It flashed from one narrator to another, all of them unreliable.  The plot revolved around a missing wife, presumed to have been killed by the husband.  The twist ending was pretty obvious ¾ of the way through the book.  I liked Gone Girl but I didn’t really enjoy this book.

Ok, so I finally got around to reading The Girl on the Train. I can totally understand your comparison to Gone Girl, while they do share some stark similarities, the primary premise is different. One major difference is less focus on the psychological. This made it less penetrating and terrifying than Gone Girl, though it is NOT a light read. Especially for those sensitive to topics involving babies and loss, this could be a bad choice. 
    In general this is a fast-paced, suspenseful read that also manages to pull on your heartstrings. 
     This isn't timeless fiction, but it's a great read for on a plane, etc. Definitely recommend.
    DS#2  due 25 April 2019
  • Options
    Should we bring this back on Mondays?  I'd be willing to do it if @ladyshark311 doesn't have time.