2nd Trimester

start light workout plan while pregnant

I'm in the second trimester and thinking about starting lightly working out. I've always been pretty sedentary (I work long hours at a desk job) and am not talking about doing anything drastic or potentially harmful to me or my baby. I'm thinking maybe walking 30 to 60 minutes a day about 5 days a week and lifting some light weights (5-10) pounds a few times a week. I'm going to ask my doctor but does that sound reasonable for someone who has never exercised (at least not since high school, Im in my early 30s)? I want to try to be healthier since I haven't been doing as well as I was hoping with my diet and exercise since pregnant.
BabyFetus Ticker

Re: start light workout plan while pregnant

• Neither the walking or light weights sound too strenuous so I would think you'd be ok, always good to run it by your doctor since you're starting something new.

For the walking, I wouldn't jump right to an hour 5 days a week. Even though it's just walking, I would build up to where you want to be. I would start off at a half hour or so every other day, then increase length and frequency from there. I've walked 1.5-2 miles every night, plus extra on weekends for over a year and there are still weeks when that's too much. Just make sure to listen to your body and don't push it too much at first.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________
    MMC 8/5/15 at 8 weeks
    DS born 9/13/16
    BFP 1/13/18 - EDD 9/20/18 - It's a boy!
  • Yup add in the walking and light weights no reason to not but just work yourself up to an hour would be my only suggestion and keep yourself really hydrated before during and after :) 
  • Loading the player...
  • I began with 30 minutes walks every day or so, if I was not to tired after work. I asked my doctor if could work out, his recommendation to me was, that I could do whatever exercise I wanted except weight lifting and any risky outdoor sport. Pilates, spinning, zumba and everything like that is allowed, I am week 23, FTM and 28years. Good Luck!
  • Great post, I was wondering same thing!
  • Walking is a great, inexpensive workout! I also started prenatal yoga two times a week...perfect for any stage of pregnancy (I'm only 17 weeks, smallest belly there) but I get a good workout in.