2nd Trimester

When will I feel the baby move?

this is my first pregnancy and I'm anxiously waiting to feel he or she move around. I am 18 weeks, and I only feel any type of what could be movement when only flat on my back before bed. I read it can be confused with gas but I feel this and it's not followed by gas haha. When can I expect to feel anything? I've also been told since I was hardly 110 lbs when I got pregnant that it would be a while because I'm small. 

Any my answer would be great,

thank you

Re: When will I feel the baby move?

• There is a thread pinned up top. Also, the search function is very helpful :)

This is different for every woman. Flutters can start to anywhere from as soon as 12 weeks (though unlikely) to upwards of 18-20. You won't feel these on the outside. You'll know when it happens. Right now if you're having troubles determining if it's gas (even without actually passing gas) or a flutter, it's more than likely just gas. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • kyraaDkyraaD member
    I'm a FTM & didn't feel any real movement until some time after 20 weeks. i started out at 115lbs. however, i had an anterior placenta, so that made it more difficult to feel movement. it took a while for me to be able to feel any movement unless i was laying on my back. it was probably closer to the 3rd Tri that i was able to feel movement while sitting, standing, etc.
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm a ftm starting at 110lbs with an anterior placenta. I felt flutters at 15 weeks and felt first real kicks at 20+3. At 22 weeks now I can feel kicks when I'm moving around and not just laying still trying to feel them. 
    Me (23) & DH (26)
    TTC #1 since 2/2015
    BFP 2/26/15    |     EDD 11/4/15     |     Natural M/C 3/11/12 @ 6 weeks
    BFP 6/17/15    |     EDD 2/26/15     |     Empty Sac 7/13/15  @ 7 weeks     |    D&C 8/10/15
    BFP 11/26/15  |     EDD 8/9/16       |     Natural M/C 12/2/15 @ 4 weeks
    BFP 1/4/16      |     EDD 9/8/16       |     It's a BOY!                                      |     Hudson born 9/16/16
    Working with RE to begin infertility testing 12/2015

• jolydanjolydan member
    I really don't think your starting weight makes a difference especially when on the smaller side! So many factors influence but the placenta is the biggest one. I'm 28 weeks and I've started feeling baby around 18 weeks by laying down but even now when I'm up and active he's usually quiet and he goes crazy when I'm laying (and sleeping ;) ) don't worry it will come soon! And you'll miss the days of not being woken up by a kick in the cervix ;)
  • I started feeling flutters around 18 weeks, and a lot bigger kicks and punches by week 22. It took until week 26 for the hubby to be able to feel the baby.  Everyone is different!  Trust me once it starts, the fun doesn't stop. ENJOY!
  • You usually wont feel baby unless you are sitting still. I felt my first baby at 15 weeks when I was leaning against a counter top. My 2nd baby I didn't feel move till around 18 weeks. If your placenta is on the front you are less likely to feel baby move as much also. Everyone and every pregnancy is different
  • Everyone is SO different. It depends where baby is located and everything. I'm a FTM and felt my baby at 16 weeks. They felt like muscle twitches. They say a lot of FTM won't feel baby until about 20 or more weeks.
    Me: 32 | DH: 33
    Met: 2005 | Started Dating: 2009 | Married: 2013

TTC#1: 06.2014;   BFP: 12.2015; DS Born: August 16, 2016
    TTC#2: 12.2017; BFP: 02.26.2018; CP 03.02.2018
                                BFP: 04.26.2018 DD Born: December 26, 2018
    Surprise Pregnancy #3; BFP: 01.11.2020; Due Date: September 19, 2021

• My doctor told me that when I'm flat on my back relaxing is when I most likely feel movement. I was unsure too, it's really subtle like like flutter, or light kick. I'm 19 weeks and still unsure. Glad you posted because I'm wondering when I'll know for sure!! :)
  • I felt vague movements around 16 weeks and at 17 weeks I felt her do a somersault in my belly. It was amazing and I still haven't felt it again!
    I felt little things every few days up until about 22 weeks and 3 days. At that point I started feeling her pretty much every day. It feels like twitches in my stomach; little kicks and punches. Also, I have an anterior placenta.
  • Size doesn't matter. I started feeling some around 17-18 weeks and I'm overweight. They became very strong and obvious by week 20 and by week 22 my husband felt a few on the outside. My BFF is a lot smaller than me but she didnt feel her first movements until week 20. So it's different for everyone, but before you know it they'll happen all the time! 
  • This is my 4th pregnancy and I just started feeling the baby move last night at 18 weeks 4 days