February 2017 Moms

HIIT and Early Pregnancy?

Thoughts?? 

I started a HIIT 90 day workout challenge 15 days ago. I was planning to keep going, just pay attention to my body and watch how intense I'm going (ie. Take it easy instead of hardcore pushing myself). 

I've been looking it up online and it seems to be okay, but after multiple losses in a little nervous.

Ill ask my doc next week, just wanted to get a discussion going :).

Re: HIIT and Early Pregnancy?

• I am worried about exercise as well. This is my first ever pregnancy so im hyper nervous. I feel like ive gotten soft already, even though ive only been toning down my workouts for a week. I am really worried about weights. Ive been lifting them for years but now im nervous
  • I don't do HIIT, but I run and am signed up for a 10-mile race this weekend. I've basically decided to maintain the distances I've been doing, but drastically reduce the pace and stay so that I can maintain a conversation. Yesterday, that meant walk breaks on a 3-miler, which I normally avoid, just because it was so dang humid. 

I also do power yoga, and that seems a lot less cut and dry. I know I need to stop the heated classes, and I emailed my studio to ask what they recommend. I really hope I can find a way to keep it up. I'm nervous that prenatal won't be physical enough for the type of practice I tend to enjoy. 

These sorts of questions are one reason I wish I had my first appointment sooner. I'd love to get my midwife's take on the exercise issue, but don't want to bug her by calling the office over this. 
  • Loading the player...
  • skiingstarkskiingstark member
    edited May 2016
    Last time I was pregnant  my Doctor said it was good for me to work out. They said if I stay healthy it will  only help out the baby. So I am still working out as normal do I am just keeping an eye on how I feel. I am in the process of training for  Disneyland 10k on labor day weekend. Right now in the first trimester it would take a force like a car accident to actually hurt the baby. So keep working out unless your doctor says other wise.  This weekend for example I skied, ran a 5k and then did a small hike. So yeah I am still staying active, if I do not I will be the size of a beach whale since I work out and I am still considered obese. 

Married to my Soul Mate since 09/06/09

BabyFruit Ticker

MC 10.23.15 @ 10 weeks
  • I talked to my doctor about this. He said that for the first trimester (to trimester and a half) that I could continue with the same training that I had been doing previously. I just need to listen to my body -slow down, cool off, probably no new PRs in lifting, etc. 
  • I spoke with my doctor about exercise, and she told me that anything over a light sweat is probably good to stay away from, largely because of increase in heart rate and temperature. Like PPs said, slow down, stay cool, and take it easy! Obviously, no major weight loss. 
  • lickasticklickastick member
    edited May 2016
    Lurker from sept16

I wanted to chime in because I have always been a fan of HIIT workouts and have always done them. I have had a m/c as well, (I'm now 25 weeks;) I continued to do HIIT and insanity workouts through out this pregnancy as I felt able to. What I didn't do was strenuous ab work on my back. No bicycles, twisting abs, leg lowers, or low ab work. I'm a prenatal yoga teacher and I was taught to keep the low belly soft during early pregnancy. I would do alternate arm/leg raise or plank/knee plank instead. Upper ab and crunches are ok until about 16 weeks when you can't lie on your back anymore. Many instructors will say all ab work is fine until you can't lie on your back,  but I wouldn't feel comfortable with that having had a m/c. 
  • rissa06rissa06 member
    Lurker,   i did my zumba work out until 6 months pg with DS.  As I got bigger we just added a few modifications.  With prior mc I would speak to your doctor, but as others have said, as long as you pay attention to your body and stay cool you should be ok.
  • I dropped my weight I use for each exercise by 10 pounds and increased by 10 reps. This is definitely on the top of my question list for my OB.
  • blush64blush64 member
    I was told it was fine to continue whatever I had regularly been doing within reason but also to listen to my body. Pretty much what everyone else has said.
  • Have been worried to go back to the gym,am waiting until my first appointment with the doc. I dont wanna do something that i will blame myself later. But am soo keen to go back at it i miss it 
  • @nyiraneza - I can totally see where your coming from. If I think I've pushed myself too hard for the day then I skip my workout.
  • I do crossfit, and am also nervous about working out too hard. I plan on continuing crossfit throughout the pregnancy, just slowing everything down and not lifting anything too heavy. My sister did crossfit until her due date for all 4 pregnancies!
  • I also plan on working out throughout my pregnancy.  I've been reading tons trying to find reasonable information, so I kinda know what I'm doing.  I think you can continue with whatever you were doing before as long as you are comfortable with it.  From what I read, I also think the heart rate info is out of date, but again I'm no doctor.

I think if you are feeling well, then totally go for it.  I also read that working out blocks the hormones that cause MS, SCORE!

• I also plan on working out throughout my pregnancy.  I've been reading tons trying to find reasonable information, so I kinda know what I'm doing.  I think you can continue with whatever you were doing before as long as you are comfortable with it.  From what I read, I also think the heart rate info is out of date, but again I'm no doctor.

I think if you are feeling well, then totally go for it.  I also read that working out blocks the hormones that cause MS, SCORE!

Cool! I don't have real MS yet, but I have noticed that exercise really helps my indigestion and heartburn if I can make myself do it. 
  • I just did Tabata last night and my instructor told me to stay away from any moves we do on the belly (starfish, superman, etc) and to listen to my body. I didn't do crunches because it didn't feel right so I pressed small weights. There is an exercise check in, I've posted on there. But I plan on continuing all of my regular exercises, except maybe elliptical. I use the eliptical for low impact running and my heart rate gets high. If I'm just going to stroll I can do that outdoors:)

<3 DD1- Aug11 <3o:) Angel Baby- June13, said goodbye Oct12 o:)<3 DD2- Aug13 <3<3 DD3- due Feb17 <3

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• @Xstatic3333 I haven't had any yet either.  I'm not sure if it's actually true, or just pure coincidence.  Whatever the case is, I'll take it!

That would be amazing if it's true! I was pretty lazy my last pregnancy, lol
  • ckis-2ckis-2 member
    I was training for a 1/2 marathon in August when I got my BFP two days ago, and trying to do HIIT as cross training. Now I'm petrified to even go for a walk. I would love to get my doctor to weigh in, but that appointment isn't for another 2 weeks.
  • I'm going to try and keep up my regular exercise until exhaustion and MS set in. 
  • I'm big into HIIT and my doctor told me to keep going- as long as you listen to your body and don't start any new, more difficult routines.

• I'm going to try and keep up my regular exercise until exhaustion and MS set in. 
    This has been crazy for me. I read my ambitious post from a few weeks ago higher up in this thread and feel so silly now. Walking is quite literally all I've got anymore. Hopefully that's enough for my health. 
    This has been crazy for me. I read my ambitious post from a few weeks ago higher up in this thread and feel so silly now. Walking is quite literally all I've got anymore. Hopefully that's enough for my health. 
    LOL I know! That's the worst part, you feel so good when you first find out, and then you hit a HUUUGE wall. I worked out last night but I just know my days are numbered and I will soon be asleep on the couch at 6:30 instead!
    LOL I know! That's the worst part, you feel so good when you first find out, and then you hit a HUUUGE wall. I worked out last night but I just know my days are numbered and I will soon be asleep on the couch at 6:30 instead!
    It's so crazy the turnaround. I found out very early, less than 4 weeks, and got such an initial jolt of energy from the excitement and from giving up my evening beer. I even did a ten mile race right around Week 5. Now I do fall asleep right after work and haven't even dragged myself to yoga. All I can say is thank goodness I have a dog to force me to do something. 
    It's so crazy the turnaround. I found out very early, less than 4 weeks, and got such an initial jolt of energy from the excitement and from giving up my evening beer. I even did a ten mile race right around Week 5. Now I do fall asleep right after work and haven't even dragged myself to yoga. All I can say is thank goodness I have a dog to force me to do something. 
    I've never done a lot of yoga, but I was actually thinking about signing up for a class! I'm a runner but I haven't really run in the past month because of so many other things going on, so I feel like now is not the time to even bother with it haha
  • I made it to the gym today! I felt so proud of myself, lol. I was a 4-6 per week regular before, and last week I made 3 days. This week, I hadn't been able to drag myself in. Today I did and it felt so good to move around. Also (sorry if TMI) praise the exercise gods (lol) but I was finally able to poop! I think the movement definitely helped that progress, so yay. 
  • Hey guys I found these awesome videos on You Tube last night which are workout videos for pregnant mamas. This is exactly what I needed to see what I should modify... here's the link to her prenatal workouts:  I did the strength one just to check it out and I like her!