September 2016 Moms
Options

Phone

RedMarRedMar member
edited June 2016 in September 2016 Moms
So my iPhone took a swim in a pool of coffee yesterday (lovely) and this is the second time it's happened... even more awesome. I'm in the market for a new phone and am wondering what you all recommend? I was going to do a clicky poll, but there are so many out there, I don't want to limit the options! I'm looking for something that takes decent pictures and has a good amount of storage. TIA! 

Re: Phone

• Options
    I have an S6 that I love as well
    Me: 32 DH: 31
    TTC #2 since January 2018
    Baby #1 DD  Born 8/25/2016
    BFP: 8/11/18 Due: 4/26/18

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    My last phone was a Samsung Galaxy S4 and I really liked it.  Towards the end (two years after I'd gotten it), it wasn't charging properly (the connection in the phone where the charger plugged in had started to go bad) so that was annoying but it was also really old at that point so not really surprising.  The camera wasn't the best, but I'm sure it's come a long way since then (should you get an S6).

Now, I have an LG G4 and I like it about the same as I liked the S4.  The camera is better (but it's also newer technology so that's to be expected).  I've never had a problem with storage but I regularly move my photos/videos onto my home computer for backup to the cloud so I can't really speak to that, specifically.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    ive heard lots of great things about samsung s6 and s7 from my brother and dad. they seem very satisfied. I have an LG G3 that i really like. They have a newer version, LG G4, i think its basically the same thing but updated processor/stuff you cant see. only issue with LG, not many case options accept on amazon or online retailers. i dont use a case on my phone so it doesnt bother me. The big reason i chose the G3 was it had 32g storage and that was the only other option with that storage capacity besides iphone 5/6 (which i was replacing my iphone 5S) at the time .
  • Options
    I have the Note and it's too big. I wish I would have gotten the Samsung Edge.  I had only iphones before and am not sure if I'll stick with android now or go back to apple. 
  • Options
    I have a Galaxy S5. I plan to go back to an iPhone when my contract is up. Ultimately, I've decided both android and apple have pros and cons, and have I love/hate them equally. 

• Options
    Another vote for the galaxy phones! Mine's an S5, so a bit older, but still running great. DH has an HTC something, and he likes it a lot, too.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I have an iPhone and love it, but was always running out of storage. For $1/mo, I have 50GB of storage on iCloud and that has solved that problem. ;)
  • Options
    I'm iPhone all the way! I originally started out with the Note 4 when they came out in 2014 but I could only tolerate it for a week before switching back to my iPhone 6 Plus and no turning back.  I am waiting patiently for the iPhone 7 this fall.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I also have the S5 and love it.  I'm due for an upgrade in July and will be getting the S7.  I love it and will make sure to get one with extra storage space (or maybe I'll look into some more online cloud storage).
  • Options
    This reminded me how many times I've told myself to get my pictures onto Google Drive. If I lost my physical phone, I'd only have the pics I upload to FB/send to others, but I take so many more than that. Going to do some major uploading tonight when I get home to my Wifi. :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Love my samsung s6 but the s7 waterproof version is out. I used my phone soley for taking pictures on the Inca Trail. 
  • Options
    First vote for Blackberry! I have a Classic and love it. But I am not a fan of touch screen, so the keyboard was important to me.
    Natural M/C 03.26.2012 at 10w2d
    Charlotte born at 28w3d due to severe IUGR on 12.24.2012 Merry Christmas!
    Missed M/C discovered 12.22.2014 at 8w1d measuring 6w3d
    2015 was a year to test strength of both body and character, but it led us to this... BFP 01.26.2016 EDD 9.30.2016
  • Options
    +1 iPhone 6s, my husband is very pro iPhone and he manages our phones, contracts, etc. so I am fine sticking with iPhone. I will say, the "phone leasing" and crazy fees are just ridiculous for iPhone, that would be my reason for looking elsewhere.
  • Options
    I have always been an iPhone user, was my first cell phone. Anything Android intimidates the hell out of me, but I have to say I LOVE the camera on DH's Samsung S5. I also like that his has expandable memory with a micro sd, which is going to come in handy for hospital pictures. Honestly it takes better pictures than my DSLR. I have an iPhone 5s and it's still going strong, nothing wrong with it other than the fact that the latest iOs update seems to have caused it's battery life to go into the toilet. I unplugged it 2 hours ago, barely touched it and it's at 82%... wtf. I might be tempted to switch to Samsung when my contract expires.

Also, off topic, but I am INSANELY jealous of all you American ladies and the cell phone plans you have down there. The prices for a data plan in Canada are amongst the highest in the world. I am paying upwards of $80/month for a basic data plan with 1gb of data per month, it's ridiculous.
  • Options
    I have always been an iPhone user, was my first cell phone. Anything Android intimidates the hell out of me, but I have to say I LOVE the camera on DH's Samsung S5. I also like that his has expandable memory with a micro sd, which is going to come in handy for hospital pictures. Honestly it takes better pictures than my DSLR. I have an iPhone 5s and it's still going strong, nothing wrong with it other than the fact that the latest iOs update seems to have caused it's battery life to go into the toilet. I unplugged it 2 hours ago, barely touched it and it's at 82%... wtf. I might be tempted to switch to Samsung when my contract expires.

Also, off topic, but I am INSANELY jealous of all you American ladies and the cell phone plans you have down there. The prices for a data plan in Canada are amongst the highest in the world. I am paying upwards of $80/month for a basic data plan with 1gb of data per month, it's ridiculous.
    I will note that with the Samsung Galaxy S6 (and probably above) the battery and memory are no longer expandable. Samsung followed in the footsteps of apple unfortunately, and the phone no longer opens to change either of these things.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    AnnaS930 said:

I will note that with the Samsung Galaxy S6 (and probably above) the battery and memory are no longer expandable. Samsung followed in the footsteps of apple unfortunately, and the phone no longer opens to change either of these things.
    This is why I decided to go back to an iPhone for my next phone. I use tons of memory with pictures. 

I have a love/hate relationship with my camera. It take amazing pics with the right natural light conditions. However, it's grainy without the flash in any other condition. The flash is super bright and lasts a long time so it results in photos like this (please pardon my one year old's toy mess):

Maybe the cameras on the S6 or S7 are better with this, though.

• Options
    RedMarRedMar member
    Thanks for all of the input, ladies. I think I'm going to get a temp phone from Craigslist in the meantime (that way we'll have a backup in case something like this happens again) and wait around for a Verizon "deal". They need more competition and therefor would lower their prices. Hopefully that's something that we will see in our lifetime. We are on a family plan with BIL and possibly going to add his fiance soon to make it cheaper. I HATE paying cable and cell phone bills!!

@AnnaS930 currently i'm trying to revive my phone to save some pics that I didn't back up. I'm pissed because there are at least 30 that I haven't put on my comp.
  • Options
    I'm pro iPhone but it's what I've had for 5 years now. I use other Mac products at home and at work so it just makes sense for me.
  • Options
    @RedMar a heads up, if you do switch to android you will not get text messages from other Apple users who already have an iMessage session going with you. Their phone won't recognize that your number no longer supports iMessage for a few days. So let any close friends with iPhones know to send ou messages as text 
  • Options
    AnnaS930 said:

Yes I found that out when DH got his phone, he was going to get the S6 but the salesperson actually talked him out of it because of the lack of memory and crappy battery.
  • Options
    Thscary said:
    @RedMar a heads up, if you do switch to android you will not get text messages from other Apple users who already have an iMessage session going with you. Their phone won't recognize that your number no longer supports iMessage for a few days. So let any close friends with iPhones know to send ou messages as text 
    Yeah, this very thing resulted in my brother finding out via FB that my (first) daughter was a girl because he and my SIL switched from Apple to Android without telling me. He was butthurt that I hadn't told him first, and I thought he was just ignoring my text.

• Options
    jensoujensou member
    "Cricket Bug" gosh I miss my crack berry. And the real buttons. Sigh... 

I have a love / hate relationship w my iPhone. It's nice to be overseas on wifi and be able to call or FaceTime without data or a phone plan.  And to send messages & pics iMessage via email account instead of phone number. It's helped me stay in touch during deployments during  the once every few months we get to a place where there is wifi. We just suspend the phone line for 6  or 9 months (however long I'm supposed to be gone), bill drops by $50 / month and 
    Presto! 

But I hate proprietary software and sometimes I feel like the apple brand is pretentious overall. It drives me nuts to need a special iPhone charger - bc all the others are universal. Stuff like that makes me dislike the phone. 

My hubby runs the plan - we're off contract Verizon so it's $150ish for the 5 of us with 6gb shared data. He's tech savvy enough to be able to buy and fix phones from eBay and add to the plan if somebody breaks / needs an update. 

The cameras on iPhone  are very good. I don't take photos with anything else now, just my 5s. I know it's not the lastest and greatest but it works fine for me.  the 6 camera is supposed to be even better. 
  • Options
    SLou24SLou24 member
    I'm one of those iPhone a-holes who gets annoyed with my friends who don't have iPhones. lol. "I just want to FaceTime you!" or also because in my office I have bad service (it's in a basement), so iMessaging over wifi is necessary... I have one good friend with an android so I can't iMessage her during the day, and it bugs the crap outta me. :) A little off topic, but just thought I'd share! 
  • Options
    Just an FYI - for the Galaxy S7 they added back the expandable memory. Battery still isn't removable but it was supposedly upgraded and the ability to use a SD card is definitely back.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________
    MMC 8/5/15 at 8 weeks
    DS born 9/13/16
    BFP 1/13/18 - EDD 9/20/18 - It's a boy!