December 2015 Moms
Options

Moms of Reflux Babies

My LO has pretty severe reflux. At 5 weeks, she was put on Nexium and I was told to add 1 tsp of rice cereal per ounce of formula to EVERY bottle. These things have helped her, so the gastroenterologist says that starting May 5 (4 months and 1 week), we're going to start weaning her off of the Nexium (long term use can be bad for her nervous system, apparently). 
My question is this... In the past month, she has gained over 2.5 pounds and I strongly believe it's because there's cereal in every bottle, and a lot of it at that. Has anyone tried reducing the amount of cereal in each bottle or going to just putting it in once a day? I'm scared she's gaining too much too fast and her appetite is unreal. 

Re: Moms of Reflux Babies

• Options
    Her weight could have picked up just with keeping more down. DD's has since starting rice cereal but she's also not spitting most of her milk up so it's hard to say.

We give it a couple times each day and increase if she's having a particularly hard day. I wouldn't try decreasing it while weaning off of the nexium though. 
  • Options
    Thank you for your input. 
    She never really spit up a lot, but you could feel it bubbling up in her chest. Poor thing was in so much pain! That's calmed down a lot, so I'm hoping that when we go back to the doctor, I'll be able to reduce at least a little.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My guys on a tablespoon for every two ounces. Works well for him. He is Def a big boy though but has always been.
  • Options
    I have a reflux baby. I don't use cereal since she is EBF and rarely gets a bottle. She does have Zantac twice a day. If that hadn't worked, Nexium was the next step. My kiddo is 4 months old and has gained over 7 lbs since birth. My pedi says that reflux babies tend to gain weight a little faster than other babies. FF, EP, or supplemented babies tend to gain because of added calories from the tiny bit of cereal given, and EBF babies tend to overeat since mother's milk is a natural anti-acid, so they don't stop eating when they should (which sucks because it can worsen the reflux in some cases, and that happened with my daughter). My pedi says as long as the baby's hunger is satisfied and the baby is comfortable/not bothered by reflux, then he doesn't worry about the larger weight gain, especially in the first 6 months when they're not crawling or walking yet. And if the baby is bigger, it can just take a little more to fill them up anyway. I hope you find that reassuring - I certainly did!! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    If you are weaning off meds I wouldn't worry about food intake. If you cut out the cereal and wean, I am sure that's going to cause a huge acid rebound. I would do one thing at a time. 

• Options
    @Elizabella85 Thank you! It just worries me because she stayed so little up until like the last 3 weeks! 

@kdsmith43 Good point. I would hate for her to start suffering through that again. 
  • Options
    Good luck mama! 

• Options
    Ajis91Ajis91 member
    My baby has reflux (4 months) and the peadiatrician at the hospital put her on cow&gate carobel to take in her bottle. It's a natural thickener and can be added to foods when weaning. I'm in the UK but could be worth seeing if it's available where you are? It's never caused her rapid weight gain and helps her reflux. 
  • Options
    @Ajis91 Thanks for the suggestion! They've actually started her on solids now and it seems to be helping her reflux A LOT!