September 2016 Moms
Options

Eczema babies

who else has a LO with eczema? I've managed to keep my 1yos under control with aquafor and lotion.  however, with the warmer weather and being outside and in the pool she has broken out in the worst case I've seen yet. I had to take her to the pediatrician for them to take a look since she was breaking open her skin. 

Pedi said the chlorine from the pool sometimes makes eczema that much worse and we need to avoid the pool/water as much as possible this summer. That will be hard since she is a complete water baby.  I think it may have something to do with the sunscreen I am putting on too (we use Aveeno baby) 

what do y'all do to keep your LOs skin under control. Do you bathe them everyday? What sunscreen do you use? Any tips would be great. Thanks :) 

DD #1 3/26/13
Mo/Mo twins MMC 3/31/14  o:)
DD #2 3/31/15
DD #3 8/25/16

Re: Eczema babies

• Options
    I use a specific product for eczema, but I think it's a violation of TOU here for me to talk about it because I also sell it. I'd be happy to tell.you more in a private message of you're interested. 
  • Options
    jln27jln27 member
    Do you know the cause/type of eczema? Is it allergy related? Is she old enough to see a dermatologist and be tested for chemical allergies?
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My Lo (18 months) has started getting eczema flare ups on the back of his legs and stomach. If really bad we use a 1% cortisone (aveno brand) to settle it down. On a daily basis we use a lotion called Triderma Baby MD: eczema itchiness & dryness- this stuff is amazing! The best lotion I have found and we have tried them all, including aquaphor. I purchase mine off amazon and I definitely recommend getting it. My sons skin is so soft and less itchy. Also we switched to short baths every other night and that helps. Good luck , poor babes! 
  • Options
    seitzy3seitzy3 member
    @jln27 I'm not sure actually. She has had in since birth. It hasn't really been too bad with only a few flare ups here and there but after this past weekend and being in the sun and pool it got so bad in just 24 hours. I walked into the pedis office and the doctor was shocked. We have been using a low steroid cream prescribed by her doctor and it has cleared it up about 90 percent so far. I'm using that and aquafor still. I think I should look into a dermatologist just to see if she is allergic to anything. It always seems worse after being outside for longer periods. 

@brittgrant2727 thank you! I am going to look into it. I feel so bad for her. It's so hot here but she needs to wear pants until it clears up because she just scratches at it like crazy! 

DD #1 3/26/13
    DD #2 3/31/15
    DD #3 8/25/16
  • Options
    jln27jln27 member
    @seitzy3 I don't have a LO but I do have contact dermatitis related eczema. The reason I ask is because I am allergic to an ingredient in almost all cream-based products (sunscreen, conditioner, lotion) and before I knew I had this allergy, steroid creams were the only things that helped and they only helped so much. Cutting out the allergens was the most important step to getting relief.

I'm not a doctor, and she might not have the same issue as me, but a dermatologist was able to help me almost immediately where regular doctors had failed repeatedly/had no idea what was going on. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    DD is 2 and she's had eczema since she was a couple months old. I find a bar soap at Target called Shea Moisture and its specifically for eczema and it's helped a ton. During flare ups I use cortisone cream. In between I use basic aveeno lotion and I use coppertone baby sunscreen. Her skin has been a lot better in the last year. 
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Vanicream sunscreen is the best I have found. They also make lotions, creams, shampoo and conditioner. My dermatologist recommends for me and LO.
  • Options
    I still have an issue with chlorine.
  • Options
    My one year old had terrible eczema. We use a lotion called cereve that was recommended to us from the allergist... It has been the only lotion to help (we have tried a lot). 
    All of the prescribed and over the counter topical medications and oral medications were only treating the symptoms. Sometimes more successfully than other times.
    The allergist finally gave us answers. We found out that the  eczema was caused by food allergy to dairy and eggs. Since changing his diet... His skin has been 100 times better. 
  • Options
    seitzy3seitzy3 member
    Thanks ladies! I think I will go ahead and call a dermatologist and/or allergist. She did just start on milk in March so I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it. I'm still certain chlorine has a lot to do with it though. Hopefully I'll find something to make her comfortable!

DD #1 3/26/13
    DD #2 3/31/15
    DD #3 8/25/16
  • Options
    ashtasht member
    Go to a dermatologist and make sure that is what it actually is. The regular doc thought my daughter had it and prescribed something. Didn't go away so she sent us to the dermatologist and got it accurately diagnosed and cleared up with in a week