Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

Ovulation after MC

I have not yet had a period following my D&C 4 weeks ago, and my pregnancy tests are still showing some hcg. But I have been temping, following CM, and other symptoms, and FF is giving me dotted cross hairs after a huge temp spike and elevated temps for the past 4 days. I also got terrible acne that coincidentally was charted at ovulation last cycle too. I have had no fertile CM that I can tell.. but look - we couldn't have BD'd at worse times to prevent something from happening if I really did ovulate. I didn't think I would ovulate at all since my temps were low and I had no fertile CM and my pregnancy tests were still positive, so we didn't use condoms. I'm sitting here like

For chart stalk:

Chart Overlay from my previous cycle (pregnancy):

Commiserate with me. I'm just worried that if fertilization does come from this, that the egg will be poor quality or the uterine lining won't be thick enough or right.. and I don't want to lose another one.

Sorry to sound whiney and that I don't want a pregnancy and that I was careless, but I thought you ladies might be able to empathize with me about this. <3

Anyone else know that they did or did not ovulate after their MC?

Me: 27 years old            DH: 27 years old
Type 1 Diabetes since 2001, MTHFR hetero A1298T
Dogs: Raider 4 yrs, Dex 4 yrs
Married in July 2014
TTC #1 since late Feb 2016
BFP #1 3/29/16     MMC: 5/5/16
BFP #2 7/6/16    SCH, D&C 8/4/16
BFP #3 12/26/16     EDD: 9/6/17
My Chart / My Diabetes/Pregnancy Blog
My Type 1/TTC/Pregnancy Podcast: 
Juicebox Podcast Episode 118
A1Cs:
1/12/16 6.7%
5/25/16 6.0%
11/2/16 6.1%
3/22/16 5.8%
4/27/17 5.4%
6/13/17 5.3%

"Sugar Fancy Tutu"

Re: Ovulation after MC

• FWIW, I don't believe I ovulated after either D&C. I didn't temp after the first one right away, but my second one showed a temp rise, but I had no other indications of O, such as pain or fertile CM either time. Plus my temps were jagged as heck all throughout when I did chart. It was fugly. 

Your chart art looks like you possibly ovulated to me. I'm not a great chart stalker though. I know it is possible to O with residual hcg in the system. The best thing you can do is try to not overthink this. There are many stories over in PGAL about women who conceived their first cycle post-loss, and there's really no good data to support the common claim that you need to wait a cycle or two before trying. 

The worst part is knowing if you're "late" or not and when to test. I NTNP after my D&C and tested weekly starting at 5ish weeks out as instructed by my OB if AF didn't show. I definitely saw a big temp drop before AF that came 8 weeks to the day afterward. I'm sorry you are in this boat. It's nerve wracking to say the least, but it doesn't mean bad things automatically if you are KU. I'm not sure if this was helpful, but I'm sending big hugs to you. 
  • @Wishilivedinflorida you did help. Thanks for responding! I should go stalk PGAL for possible situations like mine (if fertilization does occur). Just to ease my mind.

Married in July 2014
    A1Cs:
    1/12/16 6.7%
    5/25/16 6.0%
    11/2/16 6.1%
    3/22/16 5.8%
    4/27/17 5.4%
    6/13/17 5.3%

"Sugar Fancy Tutu"
  • Loading the player...
  • I don't think they are super common, as most women are told to prevent for a cycle or two, but I know I've seen them talked about from time to time with fairly regular frequency (and maybe more on the PGAL threads of the BMB's). You may have to do a search and dig a little. 
  • I've already found two threads and they have everything from several women saying everything is/went perfectly fine, and others that said they mc'd again. I guess we will just wait and see.

Married in July 2014
    A1Cs:
    1/12/16 6.7%
    5/25/16 6.0%
    11/2/16 6.1%
    3/22/16 5.8%
    4/27/17 5.4%
    6/13/17 5.3%

"Sugar Fancy Tutu"
  • I'm not a great chart stalker either, but it does look possible you could conceive in theory. From what I understand after a D&C your lining probably would be too thin to support implantation, though it's definitely not impossible. For the record, my cycle after my 1st D&C I definitely ovulated and I've had a temp spike 2.5 weeks after the 2nd which makes me assume I've ovulated this time.

I know the new recommendations say that there is no reason to wait, but I personally would listen to what your own body is saying. The cycle I got pregnant on, my body was completely off. I was having migraines, not sleeping, crying constantly and I ovulated 7 days late. I wish I would've just held off, TTCAL brain got the best of me. Now I'm here again after a 13 week doomed from the beginning. 

Good luck you you!

• I ovulated after my d&c (confirmed by bw...I have been much of a temp taker for a while). But it was probably about 8 weeks after, then AF came around 10 weeks. My hcg was also slow to fall. Hormones we're totally out of whack. I had what seemed like fertile CM for a while, but I didn't ovulate until a bit later.  I would have been happy to get pregnant again that cycle, because part of my anxiety is IF related, although I definitely hear your what if it's not ideal conditions concern. My acupuncturist said it would be like running a marathon after you hadn't rested at all to get pregnant again that soon - not bad, but not her recommendation. Anyway. I know it's really hard to wait. So much waiting. Can your OB do some bloodwork to see where exactly your hcg is? 
    About me:
    /loss mentioned/
    TTC#1 July 2014
    dx: MFI (morphology)
    IUI #1 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Sept. 2015 ~ BFN
    IUI #2 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Halloween 2015 ~ BFN
    IUI #3 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Thanksgiving 2015 ~ BFP!!
    hb 146 bpm at 7w5d
    1/28/16 ~ began to say goodbye to our beautiful baby at 11w 
    d&c, followed by cytotec
    TTCAL April 2016
    IUI #4 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Apr. 2016 ~ BFN
    IUI #5 w/Clomid + Ovidrel ~ CP
    IUI#6 w/Clomid + Ovidrel ~ BFN
  • @BrightenMySky I asked if she would draw any and she said no because it was not molar. I suppose if I have concerns, she would draw labs, but I know I have hcg left (especially since earlier this week was a darker test than the previous week? And I hadn't ovulated yet? It's weird and uncharted territory. I will call if the next test is not lighter. We will just have to see if AF comes in two weeks or not..

Married in July 2014
    A1Cs:
    1/12/16 6.7%
    5/25/16 6.0%
    11/2/16 6.1%
    3/22/16 5.8%
    4/27/17 5.4%
    6/13/17 5.3%

"Sugar Fancy Tutu"
  • I know someone who had a baby after a MC, never having a period in between. And my OB said he'd prefer me have a period before TTC, but it wasn't the end of the world if it didn't happen. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

M/C #2 - October 2016
    MMC #1 - April 2016

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers