August 2016 Moms
Options

Baby not in correct position

I had my 28 week check-up and the doctor told me the baby has not turned head down. She said right now he is transverse so he's kind of laying sideways.

She said he should turn in the next 4 weeks and that hopefully he will turn head down. Anyone else's LO not flip head down yet? Any mom have experience with babies who are in the wrong position? What happens if he's breech? TIA.

Re: Baby not in correct position

• Options
    I believe they say by 36 weeks baby usually doesn't flip. So you have time! You can do different positions (downward dog) to try and help babes flip! Otherwise if breech, they usually just do a c section
  • Options
    I had an u/s at 28w and my baby was also sideways/breech. My doc at my 31w appt also said it felt she was head up still. I can also tell based on the big movements up top she is probably still head up. We have our 33w appt then at the 35w appt doc said she is hoping baby is head down...if she isn't 100% sure then we will get an u/s that day and my doc is going to try to get her to turn. We didn't go into the details of that but hoping we don't have to. I looked up some home remedies I am also going to try as far as positions to sit/stand/lie in.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    At my 28w appt baby was transverse.  I'm a schedule CS so it really doesn't matter, but there's still plenty of time for them to flip.  If they don't flip there are tons of things out there you can try to coax them, otherwise you'll likely need a c-section.
    DD  <3 6/15/2014
    Baby #2 due 8/11/2016

• Options
    My baby turned right around 27 weeks. There's still time so I wouldn't worry just yet. You'll probably notice if baby does flip, movements are in different places, and I have to pee a lot more now. I wish my little guy would have waited a little longer, he's able to inflict more pain these days lol
  • Options
    Definitely no need to worry at this point.  There is still plenty of time for baby to flip.  With my dd, she was head down up until 36 weeks then the day before my appointment flipped around.  The Dr said he wasn't concerned and by the next appt she had flipped back to head down.  If you are worried then I would recommend going to the spinning babies website and doing some of the exercises.  I have also known several people to have versions.  Some have worked and others haven't. 
  • Options
    Same here! At 29 weeks, I was told baby was in transverse but doc didn't seem concerned. Baby will most likely turn at around 35 weeks. 
  • Options
    @cm716 for what it's worth literally yesterday this baby was head down, and I was up all night because he was working his way back up. I can now feel him in a completely different position. At one point last night his hiccups were on my right side and he was kicking me on my left. I know he has time left, but it freaks me out!
  • Options
    My doc hasn't mentioned baby's position, but a lot of the time it feels like baby still likes hanging out transverse (which is where LO was at my 20 week ultrasound). Baby seems to move around a lot, so even if head was down, I'm not sure it would stay that way at this point!

Married May 2014
    DD born August 2016
    Baby #2 due December 2017
  • Options
    At 31 weeks, my baby is still head up toward my right side. My midwife is "monitoring" but she really has until about 36 weeks to turn... after that, I assume, we'd talk c-section plans.
  • Options
    I wouldn't worry yet-- it is still early.  My baby is still moving all over the place.

BFP #1: 08/17/2012  DD1 born 05/01/2013

BFP #2: 07/31/2015  M/C 09/23/2015 (11.5 weeks)

BFP #3: 12/16/2015 DD2 born 8/27/2016
  • Options
    Don't be too worried. Though I know it's hard not to! With my DS, they told us he was breech. Each appointment the doctor would check and see if he flipped. We tried a version at 29 weeks but he was stuck in my ribs and they couldn't flip him. They told me it would be harder to get him to flip because he was my first and big. I was so concerned about having a c-section (I wanted to avoid it at all costs) but in the end, it happened and I was fine with it. The way he was positioned, I don't see how he could have come out any other way. 
  • Options
    My neighbor had a baby who liked to go back and forth between head down and breech. He was breech at around 36 weeks so her doctor scheduled some procedure to try to get baby to flip (I can't remember what she called it); when she showed up for the procedure, he was head down again. I don't think it's common, but apparently it can happen.
    That said, I think a lot of doctors do c-sections if baby is breech. I've heard of doctors who will deliver a breech baby but I understand that's pretty rare.
    Me: 25  DH: 28

Hubby's little boy - my wonderful step-son - born 5/23/10
    BFP#1: 06/2010...my beautiful baby girl born 3/7/2011
    BFP #2: 10/24/15...mc on 10/31/15
    BFP #3: 11/27/15. EDD 8/6/16

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." -Winston Churchill
  • Options
    lblu43lblu43 member
    Google spinning babies! I've been doing some of the exercises the last wk. (DS was posterior and as of 2 wks ago this LO was still breech). Just keep moderation in mind. Dizziness is a sign to stop!  www.spinningbabies.com 
  • Options
    I wouldn't worry too much just yet. I was sent to L&D on Friday for monitoring and baby was head down, today I went in for a recheck and he was breeched. I am 31 weeks tomorrow, my doctor said they would start looking at it more seriously around 36-37 weeks. They still have a little room to wiggle so I wouldn't stress about it too much. :) 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Like others have said, I don't think you need to be worried. There's still time for baby to turn. If baby hasn't turned by your next appointment, it's also an option to talk to your provider about possibly seeing a chiropractor. If you can find one who practices the Webster Technique. It's is non-invasive a way of adjusting your pelvis to allow baby the room it needs to turn.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I just found out today that after LO has been head down all pregnancy she's now breach. My doctor said there's still plenty of time to flip and most babies do it on their own. So I don't think you have anything to worry about at this time. I was told if she's still breach at 36 weeks then we may have to discuss options, but the doctor seemed to think it would be unlikely that she would still be in that position by then.
  • Options
    I just found out today that after LO has been head down all pregnancy she's now breach. My doctor said there's still plenty of time to flip and most babies do it on their own. So I don't think you have anything to worry about at this time. I was told if she's still breach at 36 weeks then we may have to discuss options, but the doctor seemed to think it would be unlikely that she would still be in that position by then.
    Same exact thing here. Peanut was head down at the anatomy scan and a growth scan 4 weeks ago, but at today's growth scan he was definitely breech. I felt him shifting around a lot last week, so that must be when he flipped. Little stinker. My doctor said the same thing -- it's totally normal and there's plenty of time to move. 

I've already looked into spinning babies and will definitely try that out. I've also heard good things about the Webster Technique (an adjustment by a specially trained chiropractor). If he's still stubborn at my next appointment I'll look more into that. I did just read that 17% of babies are breech at 30 weeks but only 4% are when they're full-term, so there's a good chance of him flipping. 
    Married 6/20/2015
    Mirena removed 7/6/2015
    TTC#1 July 2015
    BFP 12/4/2015
    Sam born 8/4/2016

• Options
    We actually had an US done the day before yesterday (actually of my gallbladder, but they gave us a peek at baby!) and he was head up. We had another done today at my follow up appointment, and he'd flipped to head down. They are still wiggle worms for a few more weeks, :)

• Options
    At my growth scan on Tuesday he was breech. I'm kinda wishing I didn't know because it wasn't on my mind before the scan. 

I'm going to try and not think too much about it. 
    Because I didn't have a scan at this point with my DD, I would never have know whether she was breech or not. By 32w I remember she was head down. So I guess I'll wait and see...
  • Options
    Just had my 30 wk appointment yesterday and baby is head down!  My first was breech at 38 weeks and ended up with a c-section and this baby was definitely breech at 28 weeks for a growth scan.  I still sort of don't believe it.  I have been doing spinning babies exercises for the last two weeks and laid upside down on the ironing board on the couch on Wednesday night.  Coincidence? :)
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Baby girl has been head down at every US. But our last one was at 25 weeks (im now 28+5). I'm pretty sure she is still head down because she has had the hiccups the last two days off and on and I feel them below my belly button and yet still movement near my ribs. I think I may go google this spinning babies thing though just in case. 
    *TW Spoiler*

DD: Aug '16

10/2017: Twins confirmed with TTTS at 22 weeks. 
    10/10/17 Twin B passed after in utero placenta surgery
    11/2/17 Twin A & B born 
    11/26/17: Twin A passed after 24 days fighting in the NICU
    Benched 6 months 
    BFP: 6/28/18 MC:7/16/18  BO
    BFP: 10/2/18 EDD 6/15/18

• Options
    jacmkelleyjacmkelley member
    edited June 2016
    Baby girl has been head down at every US. But our last one was at 25 weeks (im now 28+5). I'm pretty sure she is still head down because she has had the hiccups the last two days off and on and I feel them below my belly button and yet still movement near my ribs. I think I may go google this spinning babies thing though just in case. 
    That's how I can tell if he is head down or not. I usually feel the hiccups in my butt or like my vagina has the hiccups lol
  • Options
    @jacmkelley lol lol lol yes. 
    *TW Spoiler*

DD: Aug '16

10/2017: Twins confirmed with TTTS at 22 weeks. 
    10/10/17 Twin B passed after in utero placenta surgery
    11/2/17 Twin A & B born 
    11/26/17: Twin A passed after 24 days fighting in the NICU
    Benched 6 months 
    BFP: 6/28/18 MC:7/16/18  BO
    BFP: 10/2/18 EDD 6/15/18

• Options
    @midwestbaby and @jacmkelleythat's how I can tell her position too. The hiccups used to be down near my pelvis but a few days ago I felt her hiccups up in my upper right abdomen. So I knew she was going to be breach at my recent appointment. But I also think I felt her flip before that because my belly was moving in a hundred different directions and then after a couple minutes of that I began feeling kicks in my pelvis instead of my ribs.
  • Options
    @midwestbaby and @jacmkelleythat's how I can tell her position too. The hiccups used to be down near my pelvis but a few days ago I felt her hiccups up in my upper right abdomen. So I knew she was going to be breach at my recent appointment. But I also think I felt her flip before that because my belly was moving in a hundred different directions and then after a couple minutes of that I began feeling kicks in my pelvis instead of my ribs.
    That always blows my mind. Feeling him flip is just crazy to me. How do they even do that anyway? Lol
  • Options
    Same experience but in the opposite direction! She was breech at my 29 week appointment. On Wednesday night I was like "Whoa, what is she doing?!" And, the next morning I had hiccups in my pelvis and I can no longer feel her head near my ribs. Now her kicking bumps the book I'm reading off my belly instead of being way low and less strong.
  • Options
    I've always wondered how they do that too! And why. And I miss her being head down and kicking the books off my belly! If I was resting my arm on it she would try to kick that off too. Now I feel like I'm resting my books and arms on her head.