Pregnant after 35

Weekly Check In 6/3

This is a weekly check in for anyone pregnant over 35. If you are new to the board please feel free to jump right in!

How far along are you? 

How are you feeling?

Any baby news (tests results/scans/upcoming appointments?)

Rants/Raves/Questions:

GTKY: if you could travel back in time, when would you visit and why??

Re: Weekly Check In 6/3

• How far along are you? 23 weeks 3 days 

How are you feeling? I'm feeling pretty good. We had a hot and humid day earlier this week and I was definitely feeling that in my un air conditioned classroom.  I don't do well in hot humid weather to begin with. Usually it's not so humid here so I'm hoping for the best this summer! 

Any baby news (tests results/scans/upcoming appointments?) my next appt is next Friday. 

Rants/Raves/Questions: Not a priority, but I've been curious about nursing clothes. I know they're  not necessary, but wondering if it might be worth it to have a few pieces when baby arrives. Did you wear any nursing tops/dresses or do you plan to? 

GTKY: if you could travel back in time, when would you visit and why?? I'd love to go back to the late 40's/50's and get a peek at when my grandparents were newly married and how my parents grew up. I'd like be a fly on the wall in their homes. 
  • Loading the player...
  • @BernieRae -- I never did buy any specific nursing clothing--though it could certainly be handy! In the first weeks, I lived in a nursing tank and a zip-up hoody. Easy access, but presentable for company. ;) after a while, I just got good at doing the one-up-one-down trick with a cami under a shirt. I could pull the bottom of the shirt up and pull the top of the cami down and still achieve basically fully coverage. 
  • How far along are you? 32 weeks tomorrow

How are you feeling? A little better. I woke up with normal feet/ankles, I haven't gained any weight in the last week (which means the 5 lbs I gained in the last two weeks was probably a lot of fluid), and I'm starting to need naps every day, which is really helping the insomnia. My body is starting to accept sleep again!!!

Any baby news? Short appt scheduled for 6/10. Nothing exciting.

Rants/Raves: I'm not sure if this is a rant or a rave, but baby girl is kicking super hard now. My belly pokes out a lot when she does it.  It hurts, but I'm glad she's strong and healthy.

Oh, and DH finally talked about names without being silly and I discovered he doesn't want to give her an Irish name. So I'm back to square one.  He's insisting that we pick a name from a song, though (and I can't tell if he's serious). He suggested Allison or Sara, based on songs. They are nice, but I always thought my children's names would be names I felt strongly about, that had always been favorites or appealed to me immediately. These just seem fine. Allison is pretty, but people would probably call her Ally, which I'm not as fond of. Why is this so hard?

GTKY: if you could travel back in time, when would you visit and why?? I'd like to go to the 1920's.  It seems like an interesting time, and I'd like to see what the world was like when my grandparents were young. (And I love the clothes and hats!)

TTC#1 since Jan 2015
    BFP 2/19/15  •  MMC found at 9 wks  •  D&E at 11 wks (age 36)
    BFP 8/29/15
      •  CP (age 37)
    BFP 11/18/15  •  DD born at 41 weeks <3(age 37/38)

TTC#2 since May 2017
    BFP 10/18/17  •  MMC found at 8 wks  •  Misoprostal at 10.5 wks (age 39)

BFP 2/16/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 4/13/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 5/07/18  •  MMC found at 10.5 wks  •  D&E at 11.5 wks 
    •  Testing showed it was a girl with Trisomy 22. (age 39/40)
    9/5/18 Diagnosed with diminished ovarian reserve (4-5 follicles, one ovary had none and was very atrophied)

RE says the low egg count is likely causing my recurrent pregnancy loss. Less eggs results in more aneuploidy.

BFP 9/24/18  • 
    CP (age 40)
    BFP 5/11/19  •  Fraternal twins  •  MMC found at 10w5d (Baby A 6w, Baby B 10w)  •  Misoprostal at 11 weeks (age 41)

• @CarrieandRoy you could go with Eileen and you both win :) This has me searching my brain for name songs. Will come back and list some.

thanks, @Sporty1216. I've been thinking about it since getting some basic loose fitting GAP maternity dresses that I thought would work great post baby as well, but then realized I'd have to pull the whole dress up to bf. I'd be wearing leggings with them in the fall, but not sure how that would work. I guess it's one of those things that will take a little practice...
  • @BernieRae -- dresses are totally the exception! For those, I do have a couple of maternity ones that are also designed for nursing. Otherwise, you really do have to disrobe. Haha. But if it has a good deep V and you wear with with a nursing tank or just a nursing bra, you can totally make that work! I love one I found at old navy--it looks like it has a built-in tank, but it actually has little holes in the bottom so you can pull aside the v-neck and lift up the necessary portion of the "tank". Anyway. I've never managed to do the pop the boob out the top of the shirt trick because my chest just isn't big enough, even when nursing, but if you can manage that, I think it opens up a lot of wardrobe choices too! ;)
  • How far along are you? 35weeks 2 days home stretch baby!

How are you feeling? Tired and achy. Logistically ready for baby to be born. Also I could stand to drop some of this extra weight.... getting a little tough on the ole bod here.

Any baby news (tests results/scans/upcoming appointments?) First weekly appt is next Wednesday. They'll do an ultrasound to see if baby is head down and then.... ??

Rants/Raves/Questions: @CarrieandRoy I have the same thing! She leans into my belly and disdends the whole thing so it looks like a little lopsided cone!
    @BernieRae I've invested in a couple of nursing tops and bras, also Lularoe maxi skirts which can double as a tube dress. A friend told me Old Navy is having a Tshirt sale and their v neck tulip hem (?) Seems like it would be perfect for nursing so I might get a couple of those. I am a WICKED CLOTHES HORSE these days!

GTKY: if you could travel back in time, when would you visit and why??
    Hmmmm I think I'd like to see what the US looked like before European Settlement and prior to The Great Plague. I'd really like to see just how many people lived here then and also how their societies worked. What kind of infrastructure was there? Spiritually, what was it like? What was the food like? 
  • @emsmama15 how nerve wracking! I've been having a lot of BH but all I feel is the uterus tightening. Do you think if this keeps up is your ob going to put you on bed rest? Yikes:( is there anymore wiggle room for working a little less? It sounds like your work has been so supportive so far. I'm sure the anxiety alone of wanting to keep them in there is stressful, add to that work stress and you must have a full plate. Rest and relax when you can mama!! 
  • @emsmama15, definitely keep an eye on those contractions, I don't think you should feel nauseous, plus you're on your feet all day with twins, it sounds like too much, worth a call.

@bernierae, I had two nursing tanks. Honestly I was naked from the waist up the first month most of the time and if we had company I went into my bedroom, wasn't confident or comfortable enough. Maybe buy 1-2 and see how it goes?

38+4, this girl is really hangin on, T minus 4 days at most
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • @emsmama15 -- that all does sound like an awful lot to have going on! I hope there is a way to work things out with your work to keep you off your feet more, at the very least! I have no idea what it is like to be a nicu nurse, so forgive the ignorance of this question, but is there any way you can be the paperwork person for at least part of your shift? 

@Wyattnash00 -- so excited for you! Is it strange this time knowing you have a firm date/time for when baby will be here (assuming you don't go in to labor before then)? I can't quite wrap my head around the repeat scheduled c-section yet, even though that is the plan. 
  • It's totally surreal @sporty1216:) I think that's why my patience is all but gone as I know the end is near. Also nice as im
    a planner so mother in law coming in, wake up Tuesday, say goodbye to W (I cry everytime I think about it and his life never being the same) and get this baby out! I guess you're pregnant for 10 months so when you're near the end you're just more then ready to get the baby out!
  • Plus it takes the anxiety of the unknown away. But I feel like I got 'jipped' without having gone into labor and experiencing that, as long as the baby is happy and healthy tho
  • That helps me, @Wyattnash00 -- thank you! I am desperately hoping baby won't come before the planned date because we also have to bring family in from far away for help! I also get so sad sometimes when I think of saying goodbye to LO on that day. Or when I am just snuggling him and realizing it will never be as easy to do it as it is now. But then I think about him meeting his sister for the first time, and how sweet I hope that will be, and that helps. I get the feeling sad about not going into labor too. I labored for a long, long time with LO, but it was an induction. Part of me wants to experience spontaneous labor, but more of me wants my parents to be in town to watch LO! Haha. 

Super excited for you! FOUR DAYS!!!!!
  • @Sporty1216 - I've been actually sitting a LOT at work.  My day usually involves a couple hours of rounds (where I sit at each patient's bedside while we discuss the plan for the day), then I sit in our workroom and place orders on each baby.  I carry a load of about 8-12 patients each day, so there's a lot of computer order entry involved.  I walk around in the afternoon and check in on my patients, but I've even been trying to do that more by phone.  So I'm not on my feet a ton.  I'm not sure if it's the stress of the sick patients or what...

I called my clinic.  Based on what the nurse said, I probably should have called L&D last night and gone in.  But the contractions are way decreased from last night now.  The nurse said at this point I should rest and monitor.  We'll see how work goes tomorrow, I guess.  The good thing is that I'm just down the hall from L&D at work.  :)  
    *** Child & current pregnancy mentioned ***
    Me - 41 (PCOS), Hubby - 43 (healthy)
    7/2013 - Sweet baby girl born (Clomid + TI)
    3/2014 - TTC #2, return to RE 7/2014
    12/2015: IVF #1 transferred two great looking embryos - BFP!
    First ultrasound: TWO beautiful little heartbeats!!
    Harmony: negative; level 2: babies look great and are boy/girl! :) 
  • Oh, gosh, @emsmama15 ! I'm glad you are off your feet a lot already, but sorry that leaves you with fewer options for lightening your load. 

And, @Piperella -- huge congrats to your DH (and you!). Woot woot! Great timing for that to happen! :)
  • @BernieRae, Eileen would be perfect but it's my mom's name!!  We always play "Come on Eileen" for her at family weddings.

@lillebowski23 she's been sticking her butt out and making me lopsided for quite a while now, but the hard kicks are new. I get a small protrusion almost like a nose on my side. She pushes really hard!

@emsmama15 I've been getting a lot of Braxton Hicks contractions. Most are when I use my stomach muscles to roll over or stand up. Sometimes I just get them when I'm lying still, though. No nausea, but the past couple of days I feel like my vagina is stretching open. It aches like I've been riding a horse or something. I read about pre-term labor and it said that if the contractions don't include your back, you're probably okay. But definitely trust the dr/nurse. I'm totally new at this.
    TTC#1 since Jan 2015
    BFP 8/29/15
      •  CP (age 37)

TTC#2 since May 2017

BFP 2/16/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 4/13/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    9/5/18 Diagnosed with diminished ovarian reserve (4-5 follicles, one ovary had none and was very atrophied)

RE says the low egg count is likely causing my recurrent pregnancy loss. Less eggs results in more aneuploidy.

BFP 9/24/18  • 
    CP (age 40)
    BFP 5/11/19  •  Fraternal twins  •  MMC found at 10w5d (Baby A 6w, Baby B 10w)  •  Misoprostal at 11 weeks (age 41)

• @Wyattnash00
    So exciting that you'll be holding your baby in a few days! You're giving your son such a gift with having a 2nd child. I already feel a bit guilty thinking mine will likely not have a sibling!

@emsmama15 How are you feeling today? Sorry if I missed this info, but is your plan to work as long as possible or do you have an end date in mind prior to expected delivery? I hope you're feeling well today and can take little breaks to check in with your body throughout your work day. I'd imagine with your job, even with opportunities for sitting, it would be easy to be so focused on the care of your patients that you get out of touch with how you're feeling. As you said, glad L&D is right down the hall just in case. 

@CarrieandRoy your mom is Eileen! Well, back to the drawing board....Although maybe SHE would love to have a granddaughter named after her ;)

RE: nursing clothes. Thanks for the tips/ideas! I'm not really thinking about them for the first weeks. Tanks will totally work for that and I don't really care about being "presentable" in my own home. I was thinking about when I 1st return to work and what I can wear to easily pump if I need to.  I also want to avoid trying to zip pants 3 months pp if my body is just not there yet. Although with pumping do you have to pull your whole top off anyway? Or maybe lifting up the whole dress would actually work for that. Yep, I really have no idea how any of this works!   @Sporty1216 unfortunately the maternity dresses have no give at the neck :( 
  • Sporty1216Sporty1216 member
    edited June 2016
    Clementine! Love that one, @redheadbride15 !

ETA: I think "Clem" would be the sweetest girl nickname. If it didn't alliterate with our last name, I'd put it on my list!
  • Hey everyone!  Thanks for all your words of encouragement.  Unfortunately, I worked on Saturday and ended up in L&D with contractions again.  After another fetal fibronectin swab (negative), being tested for GBS (in case of delivery), a trans-vaginal ultrasound to check cervical length, and a scary discussion about what would happen if I was dilating ... I wasn't dilated and my contractions slowed down after I drank about 80 extra ounces of water.  I think I might be done working.  I took today and tomorrow off and am doing administrative stuff.  I have an appointment with my OB on Thursday and plan to discuss with her.  I just think it's too much for me at this point.  So disappointed and overwhelmed right now.
  • Deep breaths @emsmama15, do whatever is best for the babies, give it a couple of days to sink In and hopefully you'll feel a bit better. Always better safe then sorry, hugs:)
  • lickasticklickastick member
    edited June 2016
    I'm sorry @emsmama15 :'( that must be really heartbreaking. Perhaps it is divine intervention and you will get a much needed rest before you bring TWINS into the world! That is a huge undertaking and I hope that everything settles down and those babies stay in and cook! Wishing you all the luck with what comes next and hugs!!
  • Oh, man, @emsmama15   I am so sorry! That sounds scary! I'm glad babies are staying put, and I hope you can work something out regarding work... I can only imagine your disappointment and how overwhelmed you must feel.  But know you are doing an awesome job growing those little babies! I feel confident they can already tell what a good mama they have. Take good care! Wish we could all come around and help!
  • @redheadbride15 Clementine and Cecilia were already on my list before the song thing came up! I haven't mentioned Clementine to DH because I doubt he'd go for it, but I think I will now. (I still doubt he'll go for it.)

@emsmama15 can the dr tell you if the contractions are real vs Braxton Hicks? I'm so sorry you're going through this. Hopefully the babies will stay put for a while.
    TTC#1 since Jan 2015
    BFP 8/29/15
      •  CP (age 37)

TTC#2 since May 2017

BFP 2/16/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 4/13/18
      •  CP (age 39)

BFP 9/24/18  • 
    CP (age 40)

• @CarrieandRoy - they're real in that they show up on the monitor.  Not sure if BH contractions do?  The last time I was in L&D, my "contractions" were really just spikes because they were so short (10 seconds or so).  These last up to 30+ seconds.  They're uncomfortable but not painful.  The OB seemed quite concerned.  Luckily though, they did not dilate my cervix.  I'm going to ask my OB on Thursday.  
  • @emsmama15 oh man, I'm sorry things are going this way and that you're feeling overwhelmed and discouraged. I hope an early exit from work, if best,  does not create too much of a hardship for your family. 
  • @emsmama15 I don't know how that works, regarding the monitor. I've been getting a lot of BH contractions. I haven't paid attention to the duration, but I know they aren't coming in a rhythmic pattern. I get them when I use my stomach muscles and also when I lay in bed at night. The opposite situations (exertion and relaxation) don't make sense to me. Some don't hurt at all, some are uncomfortable (usually when the baby is really bulging one spot) and a few times it was painful when it happened as I was standing up.
    TTC#1 since Jan 2015
    BFP 8/29/15
      •  CP (age 37)

TTC#2 since May 2017

BFP 2/16/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 4/13/18
      •  CP (age 39)

BFP 9/24/18  • 
    CP (age 40)

• Yipee @Sporty1216! Fantastic news and so happy your girl is growing!
  • I'm so glad to hear it, @Sporty1216 !
    TTC#1 since Jan 2015
    BFP 8/29/15
      •  CP (age 37)

TTC#2 since May 2017

BFP 2/16/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 4/13/18
      •  CP (age 39)

BFP 9/24/18  • 
    CP (age 40)

• VastraVastra member
    @Sporty1216 yay for boring and normal!
    Married: 2011
    TTC #1: 3/2016
    Me 39 - DH 44
    BFP 5/27/16 EDD 1/30/17
    DD born 2/3/17