January 2016 Moms
Options

Schedule for 4 month old?

What is a typical day like with your 4 month old? Mine wakes between 8-8:30 and takes 3-4 naps a day, depending on how long they are. We try to get him to bed by 8:00/8:30. He's been waking up 3 times a night for the past couple of days so just wondering how our schedule compares to other peoples and if his bedtime may be too late!

Re: Schedule for 4 month old?

• Options
    nackienackie member
    Mine wakes up between 5-6 and we spend the day desperately trying to get him to nap.  He usually does two 20-30 minute naps and we start bedtime around 7.  He's up 4-5 times a night.  I'm so ready for his sleep regression to end so we can try and to get him on a better schedule.
  • Options
    My LO just turned 4 months old. He wakes up between 5:30 - 6:00. If he wakes up at 5:30 we let him play in his crib till 6:00. He's up for an hour then takes an hour nap. Then he takes 3 45 minute naps through the day (usually awake for 1.5 - 2 hours in between). Then we start bedtime routine at 5:30 and he's asleep by 6:00. He is sleeping through the night. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    kaym6kaym6 member
    We do exactly the same exact thing as @amberjinnett he just recently went back to STTN after a rough patch! Well sorta he sometimes wakes but has just started putting himself back to sleep without me which is huge 
  • Options
    Almost 5 months and he wakes up between 7:30-8:30. He takes 3/4 naps a day between 30 minutes-1 hour. Bedtime routine starts around 6:30 and he is out by 7:30. He wakes up at 3-4 and goes back to sleep until it's time to get up for the day. We sometimes have a wake up around 6am if he blows out a diaper... :s 
  • Options
    pretty much the same as @kaym6 and @amberjinnett --- She sleeps 6:15PM-5:30AM right now. 3-4 naps (1-2 hours, 1 hour, 1 hour, and 30 minutes). 
  • Options
    klbhklbh member
    My kiddo (16 weeks) wakes up around 6:30 and has four naps through the day, usually with about 90-120 minutes of awake time between. Nap lengths vary between 30 and 90 minutes. Bedtime is about 7, with a dream feed around 10 and usually a feeding between 2 and 4, plus a few wake ups for random screaming with his eyes shut during the night, haha. He used to sleep through or almost through after the dream feed, but not lately. Hoping he'll learn how again soon. We do a loose eat-play-sleep routine, averaging about three hours, but we're not picky about the scheduling (mostly just trying to separate feeding from sleeping for the sake of my sanity). 
  • Options
    LO just turned 4 months 2 days ago, for a few weeks he's been on a more rigid schedule, bedtime at 7pm, wakes 2-3x per night, with 1-2 being for feeds, then up for the day between 630-7. then 3-4 naps through the day, usually at 9am, 12pm & 3pm, sometimes another at 5pm, then feeds at 7am, 10am, 1pm, 4pm and just before bed at 7pm. He is a much happier baby since we put him on a set schedule! And I am a much more relaxed Mom :)
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    LO turns 4 months this Friday. She wakes up for the day at 6:30/7, I feed her, and we play for 45 min to an hour and then she takes her longest nap of the day for 1/1.5 hours. She has an awake time of 1/1.5 before she goes down for another nap, which are usually 30 min in length. We start our bedtime routine at 6:30 and she's down between 7/7:30. She wakes at 2 and 4 to eat (she used to only wake up at 4, but has regressed go waking up at 2 consistently). 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @kaym6 how long was your rough patch? Currently in the regression and its killing me!  Any tips? 

My schedule is pretty much like everyone else's. Bed betweek 630/7. Currently wakes multiple times a night. Naps are tough. She dights them hard. Usually has 4 x 30 min if I'm lucky. 
  • Options
    kaym6kaym6 member
    @cali1710 a couple of weeks at the end of the 4th leap is when it was the worst for us. As annoying as it is I think that getting him to sleep drowsy but awake is what helped (is helping, def a work in progress) even though it took me I would say an entire MONTH of consistently doing it. I moved up his bedtime, routine started at 530 with bath pjs story then I would feed him and rock him until he was drowsy. Then I would lay him down and let him fuss not cry until he started getting more upset then I soothed him without picking him up (hand on his chest rocking back and forth or bouncing mattress) but only until he was quiet then I would walk away and repeat until he finally fell asleep. It honestly was exhausting but now when he wakes up at night he will roll around and talk and then usually fall back asleep. It seemed like it was doing NOTHING until all the sudden on night he woke up and I waited for him to cry but instead he just went back to sleep. 

It it doesn't always work though he still has his nights but it's gotten tons better! Sorry this turned into a novel haha
  • Options
    @kaym6 thanks!! Shes been going through the regression for the past 2 weeks and its been crappy but managable. Until last night. Whe was up alll nightttt. From 930-1230. 2-3. 345-7. Screaming. Not just crying. We would calm her down and shes start to fall asleep and then loose her mind again. She didnt have gas. She was dry and fed. I'm not sure if the regression took a turn for the worst or if shes teething or getting a bug. If we put her down asleep let alone drowsy she would wake in a second and scream. 
  • Options
    nackienackie member
    I'm so jealous of the people that have had success with drowsy but awake.  Mine screams as soon as you put him down no matter how drowsy he is.  And then he's no longer drowsy...
  • Options
    ashleyandjodyashleyandjody member
    edited May 2016
    So how I got drowsy but awake to work was I started putting her in our bed, right in the middle, and surrounding her with pillows. She's out within a few minutes, and then we check on her every 15/30 minutes. When it's time for us to go to bed, she's in a deep sleep so transferring her is easy. 

ETA that our room is very dark and cool, and it's become an easy routine for us now. I think consistency is key.

• Options
    kaym6kaym6 member
    @cali1710 have you considered moving bedtime to earlier? I thought 6/630 seemed waaaay too early but it's made a huge difference. He just rolled back to belly today so I guess we have to start the transition out of the swaddle.. Not looking forward to that ugh 
  • Options
    ekscoppekscopp member
    Idk why, but schedules make me anxious. I think it's bc I have such bad OCD with being on time. Therefore, I just kinda wing it and go based off her. She fights sleep really bad, so naps have always been a struggle. Although daycare doesn't seem to have a problem, maybe it's me! Night time she usually goes down somewhere in the 6 o'clock range. I feed her side lying in my bed and she always falls asleep and I put her in her bassinet. I'm not looking forward to the transition to crib bc then I have to get out of bed to feed her :/. So jealous of all the routines you ladies have!
  • Options
    kaym6kaym6 member
    Just based on tonight alone I wouldn't take any of my advice he went down an hour ago and I've already had to go in 3 times lol apparently learning to roll was a big event for this little guy   :D
  • Options
    LO just turned 5 months last week, but is 4 mo. adjusted age.  We've dropped MOTN feedings.  We haven't had to do one in almost a month. He wakes between 6:30-7:30 every day.  He takes about 3 naps a day, and averages 3-4 hours a day for naps. We start bedtime around 7:15-7:30.  He is out for the count by 8:00-8:15 at the latest.  Most nights, it's by 7:45.

We do drowsy but awake, and that's been working since birth.  We always use some sort of white noise to sleep with.  He sleeps in a Merlin suit and we have 2 receiving blankets underneath the fitted sheet in his crib to create a nice little cozy space, so he feels secure and confined in the crib.  He isn't rolling a whole lot yet, and hasn't rolled in the Merlin suit at all, so we're safe to still be using it. 

We have had our nights of 2-3 waking's a night, and within those 2-3, having to go in and pacify him 4-5 times just to get him back to sleep.  It usually happens 1 time a week now. We've also brought him into our bed on several occasions after the 3rd, sometimes 4th time of having to go in and try to get him back to sleep.  
  • Options

kaym6 said:
    @cali1710 have you considered moving bedtime to earlier? I thought 6/630 seemed waaaay too early but it's made a huge difference. He just rolled back to belly today so I guess we have to start the transition out of the swaddle.. Not looking forward to that ugh 
    My LO wasn't rolling yet, but was becoming fascinated with his hands in his mouth, so he was super pissed when he would get put in the swaddle. lol, We started swaddling with 1 arm out.  It worked great for about 3 weeks. So you may want to start there and see how that works. Maybe for naps to start.  Then, I purchased the Merlin suit and am SO glad we did. You can't use the Merlin once the baby rolls from back to belly in the suit, so I'm not sure if the investment would be worth it for you.  I've heard that Zippadee Zips are okay for babies who roll, and are supposed to be a swaddle transition piece. 
  • Options

kaym6 said:
    My LO wasn't rolling yet, but was becoming fascinated with his hands in his mouth, so he was super pissed when he would get put in the swaddle. lol, We started swaddling with 1 arm out.  It worked great for about 3 weeks. So you may want to start there and see how that works. Maybe for naps to start.  Then, I purchased the Merlin suit and am SO glad we did. You can't use the Merlin once the baby rolls from back to belly in the suit, so I'm not sure if the investment would be worth it for you.  I've heard that Zippadee Zips are okay for babies who roll, and are supposed to be a swaddle transition piece. 
    We have never swaddled pur LO. She hated it since day 1. Loves to sprawl. Ive tried an earlier bedtime but maybe I'll aim for 6 tomorrow. Thanks! 
  • Options
    @cali1710, I wish he didn't like being swaddled/confined.  I am dreading when he begins rolling in the Merlin suit.  I am hoping though, that once he does, he'll be okay to sleep unswaddled and not so restricted. If I can make it through summer in the Merlin and get to fall where he'll be back in a sleep sack with arms out and long sleeves, I'll be a happy lady. : :p He still has the startle reflex, just enough to where he can't quite fall asleep without something fitting snug to him to prevent it from waking him. 
  • Options
    kaym6kaym6 member
    @teachmegs817 I tried the sleep sack with one arm out and he just will NOT fall asleep lol he flails around and hits himself in the face over and over again haha however a few times he's gotten his arms out and still managed to put himself back to sleep... I actually just got the zipadee zip ive tried it for naps but he NEVER sleeps longer than 30 mins in his crib swaddled or not so I couldn't tell how it worked as naps are always difficult. Thanks!!! 
  • Options
    @cali1710 We never swaddled our LO either! When even the nurses couldn't get her to stay in a swaddle, we gave up and just let her sleep the way she wanted. She's much happier and always sleeps with a hand by her face (she always had her hands touching her face for every ultrasound, it was always a challenge to get her to move them to see her beautiful face).

• Options
    @ashleyandjody I think we have the same baby lol
  • Options
    kaym6kaym6 member
    @ashleyandjody what a precious little cutie! 
  • Options
  • Options
    l4rkl4rk member
    My LO just turned 4 months. She wakes between 6 - 7 for the day, then we nap for as long as she wants for every 1.5 - 2 hours of awake time until bedtime at 7 - 7:30. That usually gives us 3 naps in a day.